HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 05, 2012, 08:07 PM
Heli addict
Joined Feb 2007
640 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vladz View Post
That what I was thinking about... looks like top current is 3 times more then with OEM firmware.
Edit: in case of good source with low impedance this peak can fry coils.
vladz is offline Find More Posts by vladz
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 06, 2012, 11:10 AM
Quad Whisperer
Joined Jul 2008
942 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesolins View Post
Hi Rolf,
Thanks for the great ESC performance data! It is certainly easy to see the differences between the firmwares.
Al from Hoverfly started yet another thread on this here. Your insights and repeatable testing data would be an asset there too. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1620724
Cheers,
Jim
Quadrocopter and Tricopter Info Mega Link Index
He tests the response of ESC+motor, I only test the response of the ESC alone because that was harder to judge by just looking and testing things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonk View Post
Hi, kapteinkuk! Incidentally, what is the peak of that current when scaled from shunt voltage to actual Amperes? Cheers
The shunt is 0.1 Ohm, the peak is close to 6A.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vladz View Post
Edit: in case of good source with low impedance this peak can fry coils.
The coils+stator have a large thermal mass, so I do not think that is an issue.

But it is of course wise to increase the rating of the ESC, both because the increased peak currents and extra heat generated due to the increased PWM frequency.

In my opinion I think the reason for the input filter is to avoid large peak current. I previously thought that the filter was to avoid rapid acceleration of the motor causing loss of synchronization.

Just now I have a large HK Donkey motor running on my table, slowly and silently. I am happy that the annoying 8 kHz whine is gone!
kapteinkuk is offline Find More Posts by kapteinkuk
Old Apr 06, 2012, 02:39 PM
Heli addict
Joined Feb 2007
640 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kapteinkuk View Post

In my opinion I think the reason for the input filter is to avoid large peak current. I previously thought that the filter was to avoid rapid acceleration of the motor causing loss of synchronization.
I think you are right. Once motor is going ESC calculates correct phase using back EMF. But bigger peak energy calls for increase ESC rating.

Well, when we are running 490Hz update cycle, would it make a difference if ESC reacts instantaneously or say with ramp-up time of 10-20ms?

And we don't counting motor+prop inertia... What do you think?
vladz is offline Find More Posts by vladz
Old Apr 07, 2012, 12:17 PM
Quad Whisperer
Joined Jul 2008
942 Posts
Any ramp up time will give a lower peak current.
Old Apr 09, 2012, 10:41 AM
hacker
Canada, BC, North Vancouver
Joined Dec 2010
934 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kapteinkuk View Post
I still think it's actually for both reasons. There are some motors where the coil demagnetization can take so long (with a large current spike) that it can fool the zero-crossing detection and lose synchronization. I see this with some hard drive motors, the MT-3506, and the 24g hextronik motors, for example. It seems it might be necessary to do something special in these cases, but most motors seem to be fine with jumps from low to high throttle. The problem comes up more often at higher voltages, too.

http://0x.ca/sim/esc/timing_loss_fix/
simonk is offline Find More Posts by simonk
Old Apr 10, 2012, 04:27 PM
Quad Whisperer
Joined Jul 2008
942 Posts
Ok, I think you are right.
Old Apr 10, 2012, 04:53 PM
uavservices on MRF
Calgary Canada
Joined Jun 2006
4,978 Posts
ummm I am hoping that this will not happen on my MT 4008's 600kv... any thoughts on that?

steve
saabguyspg is online now Find More Posts by saabguyspg
Old May 16, 2012, 08:58 AM
Quad Whisperer
Joined Jul 2008
942 Posts
I have tested the HK10A. Response time of 200ms (10 filter steps).
It is quite bad. It needs a firmware upgrade
Old Mar 16, 2013, 06:17 AM
The Netherlands
Joined Mar 2007
783 Posts
What do you guy's think about this?

Full size link: http://www1.picturepush.com/photo/a/...SC/400Hz-1.jpg

holco is offline Find More Posts by holco
Old Nov 09, 2013, 12:28 AM
United States
Joined Mar 2006
2,031 Posts
First post here, thread seems to have slowed down.

Now step forward in time (to today). How does the "newer" closed loop ESC's (like ultraESC or STM32 esc) compare (ramp up and down times), are they worth it? Clearly the closed loop has an acro advantage.
--Oz-- is offline Find More Posts by --Oz--