HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 02, 2012, 09:59 PM
Joined Aug 2008
473 Posts
Did anyone else have their supplied aileron linkage seem to be too long? Or am I doing something incorrectly?

Also in case your are considering the Hacker A60-6XS it does not match up to the pre-drilled mounting holes. But you probably already knew that.

al
rossaer is offline Find More Posts by rossaer
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 02, 2012, 10:16 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
26,369 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rossaer View Post
Did anyone else have their supplied aileron linkage seem to be too long? Or am I doing something incorrectly?

Also in case your are considering the Hacker A60-6XS it does not match up to the pre-drilled mounting holes. But you probably already knew that.

al
I didn't trust the original rods, as I had one of the threaded inserts break loose when I tried to adjust them so used the carbon fiber and titanium rods from Central Hobbies

And no, while the A50 series motor mounts will line up, the A60 series will not...but anybody that can't drill a few holes to mount a motor, needs to learn how.....

SteveT
SteveT. is online now Find More Posts by SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My hangar...
Old Oct 03, 2012, 04:43 AM
Use the 4S Luke
USA, TX, Euless
Joined Aug 2003
9,341 Posts
FWIW I have used the supplied linkage with no problems. If they are a little too long, you can trim a few threads from the end. Can you post a pic?
feathermerchant is offline Find More Posts by feathermerchant
Old Oct 03, 2012, 01:32 PM
Joined Apr 2008
1,579 Posts
I found a perfect motor to 3d this plane, without having to drill new bolt holes!

When I installed the horizontal stab., there is a gap, may be 1/4 inch., between the stab and the rear of the fuse. Normal?
chopper62 is offline Find More Posts by chopper62
Old Oct 03, 2012, 02:35 PM
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
26,369 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopper62 View Post
I found a perfect motor to 3d this plane, without having to drill new bolt holes!

When I installed the horizontal stab., there is a gap, may be 1/4 inch., between the stab and the rear of the fuse. Normal?
Yes...that's for clearance for the elevator joiner (IIRC)...just shove the stab all the way forward. And....do like they do on all 3D Hobby Shop planes.....don't remove the covering on the stab where it glues in, just glue it in with CA. Unless you are "really" careful, you can cut into the wood when removing the covering, which weakens the stab, and the CA holds just fine!!

SteveT
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 03, 2012, 02:51 PM
United States, CA, Ukiah
Joined Dec 2011
793 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveT. View Post
Yes...that's for clearance for the elevator joiner (IIRC)...just shove the stab all the way forward. And....do like they do on all 3D Hobby Shop planes.....don't remove the covering on the stab where it glues in, just glue it in with CA. Unless you are "really" careful, you can cut into the wood when removing the covering, which weakens the stab, and the CA holds just fine!!

SteveT
I personally am in favor of removing the covering in these areas, just do it with your soldering iron, no risk of cutting into the structure.

On another note, my Samson arrived this morning and is a thing of beauty!

Mendo
Mendo is offline Find More Posts by Mendo
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 03, 2012, 03:41 PM
Joined Apr 2008
1,579 Posts
Even with the joiner, I'm still having a pretty good gap. I'm going to add a balsa block to cover the gap.
Old Oct 03, 2012, 04:07 PM
Goleta, CA
Joined Mar 2006
743 Posts
Quote:

Which motor did you decide to go with? The a50?
pootman is online now Find More Posts by pootman
Old Oct 03, 2012, 04:10 PM
United States, CA, Ukiah
Joined Dec 2011
793 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pootman View Post
Which motor did you decide to go with? The a50?
I was wondering this as well, I think for myself I am going to go with a A50-12L V2
It should be a straight forward bolt up deal and saves me the trouble of whacking into the firewall on this thing or having standoffs made etc....As for the reports of it coming out a tad tail heavy I plan to address that with a nice dummy radial kit up front.

Mendo
Mendo is offline Find More Posts by Mendo
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 03, 2012, 06:56 PM
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
26,369 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mendo View Post
I personally am in favor of removing the covering in these areas, just do it with your soldering iron, no risk of cutting into the structure.

On another note, my Samson arrived this morning and is a thing of beauty!

Mendo
No need to remove it.....None of the planes in this photo have the covering removed, and all (with the exception of the red 74" Edge, which is new) have been flown many times with no problems....

SteveT
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 03, 2012, 07:01 PM
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
26,369 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mendo View Post
I was wondering this as well, I think for myself I am going to go with a A50-12L V2
It should be a straight forward bolt up deal and saves me the trouble of whacking into the firewall on this thing or having standoffs made etc....As for the reports of it coming out a tad tail heavy I plan to address that with a nice dummy radial kit up front.

Mendo
I had one in mine....it doesn't make enough difference... Here are pics of mine.... I used the Top Flight 1/7 scale, the 1/5 would be closer to what it should be as to size...They can be found here...

SteveT
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 03, 2012, 08:55 PM
Joined Apr 2008
1,579 Posts
Hacker would be my last choice as I found, based on the way I pushed the motor, that Hacker tends to run hotter than other motors (Scorpion, Motrolfy, Torque) that I'm using.

If you want to go with the motor recommended for this plane by Hyperion, the Scorpion 4025-16 with the Scorpion 40mm Cross Mount which has the 58mm bolt hole pattern.

For me, I'm going with the Scorpion S-4035-380kv on both 6s and 8s.
Old Oct 03, 2012, 09:02 PM
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
26,369 Posts
Quote:
Hacker would be my last choice as I found, based on the way I pushed the motor, that Hacker tends to run hotter than other motors (Scorpion, Motrolfy, Torque) that I'm using.

If you want to go with the motor recommended for this plane by Hyperion, the Scorpion 4025-16 with the Scorpion 40mm Cross Mount which has the 58mm bolt hole pattern.

For me, I'm going with the Scorpion S-4035-380kv on both 6s and 8s.
Most of the planes in the photo I just posted have Hacker motors and I have never had a problem with one over heating....And... I personally will never use a Scorpion motor as long as they use collet prop adapters...I have seen too many fail and people have to go chasing props, spinners and prop adapters out across a flying field after having to land with no power.... That said....the Hyperion motor that is recommended by Hyperion is made by Hacker, not Scorpion.....

SteveT
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 03, 2012, 09:47 PM
Joined Apr 2008
1,579 Posts
My experience is totally different with Hacker. I'm not saying scorpion is making hyperion motor. I'm saying if you want to you the recommended hyperion motor, the scorpion will do the job as it is practically the same, except a bit lighter. Your choice is you don't wan tto use scorpion
Old Oct 03, 2012, 09:51 PM
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
26,369 Posts
Quote:
My experience is totally different with Hacker. I'm not saying scorpion is making hyperion motor. I'm saying if you want to you the recommended hyperion motor, the scorpion will do the job as it is practically the same, except a bit lighter. Your choice is you don't wan tto use scorpion
Yeah....different flying styles will create different result with the same motor. And Scorpion used to make the Hyperion motors, but Hacker makes them now, and nope, won't use a Scorpion unless Lucien finally designs a motor with a bolt on prop adapter...

SteveT
RCG Plus Member