HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 09, 2014, 04:44 AM
Flying Low
United States, VA, Petersburg
Joined Mar 2012
578 Posts
Discussion
FliteTest Scratch Builds. (whose building them)?

really been enjoying watching what the guys over on FliteTest have been doing. Anyone else out there building any of their planes? If so post up your pictures and tell us what you think of them.
I have built two so far. Here are some pictures of the FT Versa Wing that I'm just about done with. It will be powered by a Park 400 890kva motor with a turnigy 25 amp ESC and two Turnigy 9 gram metal gear servos. 2200mah lipo will be strapped up front.
I have also built their FT-22 Raptor. Can't seem to find my pictures but will post them as soon as I find them. It is an awesome flyer. getting ready to try out a new motor on it to see how fast I can get it to go.
Well guy's, lets see them.
cbarnes0061 is offline Find More Posts by cbarnes0061
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 09, 2014, 05:22 AM
You laugh... But it flies!!!
United States, MO, Rocky Mt
Joined Oct 2013
342 Posts
My daughter and I built this FT Racer. I love it. It was much more plane than I could fly at the time. Managed a white knuckled maiden and felt good about it once I had some altitude. I have since honed my flying skills and cant wait to get home again to put her back up.

Now I am working on a scratch built Versa Wing made from MPF. Once the electronics get here, I will post pics and share the maiden.

Be safe and have fun,
Tommy
TEAJR66 is offline Find More Posts by TEAJR66
Old Feb 09, 2014, 06:53 AM
Joined Oct 2004
522 Posts
Built the Spitfire,the P-51, the Baby Blender,The Bloody Wunder and now am
doing the FT Racer or Slinger.
These plans are pretty well done and by watching the video's you can put the
planes together ok. They have some good idea's and tricks for building in foam.
Here is the Bloody Wunder i built.
olddog is offline Find More Posts by olddog
Old Feb 09, 2014, 11:11 AM
Joined Oct 2013
342 Posts
I was a little intimidated about trying to cut the pieces myself, so the Racer was a speed build kit.

Then I took the tiled plans and put them together one major component at a time. This made the task a little easier than trying to piece together the entire tiled plan. The I pinned the plan to the foam. then took a very sharp pencil and poked through the plans at the corners, making little dots on the foam. Once I removed the plan from the foam, I used my yard stick to connect the dots. The cutting was pretty straight forward. Worked out pretty well.

I have the parts for the versa wing and another racer cut out and sanded. I have not assembled them as I am waiting on electronics. But, the parts fit and line up nicely.
Old Feb 09, 2014, 11:55 AM
Hot glue held together by foam
United States, WA, Vancouver
Joined Aug 2010
2,522 Posts
Old Fogey's

I have built two planes based on the FT Old Fogey . One with a 40" wing span , and the other with a 60" wing span . Both were built with light wing loading to be as slow flying as possible .

Al

40" wing span

Lightweight 40" wingspan FT Old Fogey-ish (2 min 58 sec)

60" wing span

FT Old Fogey-ish with 60" wingspan (1 min 56 sec)
balsa or carbon is online now Find More Posts by balsa or carbon
Old Feb 09, 2014, 03:42 PM
Joined Oct 2013
342 Posts
You did a excellent job on those Fogeys. Those are under consideration for the to do list
Be safe and have fun,
Tommy
Old Feb 09, 2014, 04:44 PM
beemerdon
USA, NC, Charlotte
Joined Nov 2009
786 Posts
I built the Spitfire from their speed build kit and it's a wonderful flying plane. I can't believe how well thought-out the design is and how well the kit went together. I was going to maiden it before I painted it but the weather has been so iffy I went ahead and painted the plane and then just looked at it for a month.

It flies great! I am using the 2212/10 motor with 3s 2200 batteries and an 8x6 prop and it will go vertical with no problems. It does mild aerobatics and lands like a feather. The main thing, tho, is how cool it looks on low and slow passes. Great kit!

Don
beemerdon is offline Find More Posts by beemerdon
Old Feb 09, 2014, 06:27 PM
Flying Low
Joined Mar 2012
578 Posts
Great pictures guys. They all look great. TEAJR66 here is what I do once I download the plans. I tape everything together and while Im at the Dollar Tree picking up foam I also pick up plenty of the poster board. I then cut all the plans on the poster board first then transfer to the foam. That way Whenever the plane meets TeraFirma It is easy enough for me to quickly cut another one out.

For example this profile Extra 300. Not a Flite Test plane but I built my first one out of blue foam. Flew pretty good but it finally smacked a power line. Quickly cut out a new one with dollar tree foam. It performed so much better that as soon as the guys at the field saw it fly then I let them fly it the had to have one. Ended up cutting four more and those poster board templates made it a breeze.
Old Feb 09, 2014, 11:00 PM
United States, UT, Springville
Joined Jun 2012
18 Posts
FT3d. This is my first swappable build. I couldn't be happier with the way it flies. I colored it with a sharpie marker.
rcaddict24 is offline Find More Posts by rcaddict24
Old Feb 10, 2014, 01:50 AM
Joined Oct 2013
342 Posts
cbarnes0061,

I have not used it yet, but I kept the cast from the racer to use as a template for future cut outs. I can lay the solid piece over a new foam board and trace out the outline.

Next speed build, I am going to trace several sets of parts before I glue them together.

I love what these guys have done for the hobby. Its an RC Revival!

Be safe and have fun,
Tommy
Old Feb 10, 2014, 01:51 AM
Joined Oct 2013
342 Posts
cbarnes0061,

Nice plane, by the way.

Tommy
Old Feb 10, 2014, 04:44 AM
Flying Low
Joined Mar 2012
578 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcaddict24 View Post
FT3d. This is my first swappable build. I couldn't be happier with the way it flies. I colored it with a sharpie marker.
Nice coloring job. I did my profile with markers as well. Did you build their original FT3D or use the plans that were revised by the 3D Hobby Shop Team pilot?
Old Feb 10, 2014, 08:14 AM
Flying Low
Joined Mar 2012
578 Posts
As promised earlier here are some pics of my FT-22 I built. Thing flys amazing. Last pic is it hanging on the wall with some of my other foamies.
Old Feb 10, 2014, 06:26 PM
United States, PA, Dover
Joined Sep 2013
22 Posts
My FT builds

The Ft Flyer, Delta, Nutball, Old Speedster, Two Old Fogeys(LOVE THEM !), Dusty crop duster and FT 22.
I built them all from downloaded plans! Used colored packing tape.
I am a rookie pilot just started flying in Sept last year with a Mini Super Cub, great plane but I love to build.
Dieselgc is offline Find More Posts by Dieselgc
Old Feb 10, 2014, 07:24 PM
United States, WI, Bloomer
Joined Mar 2013
51 Posts
My FT Bloody Wonder with rudders. Probably close to 100 hours of flight time on this puppy.
Name: IMG_0868a.jpg
Views: 211
Size: 71.2 KB
Description:
tomsza is offline Find More Posts by tomsza