HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 18, 2014, 08:13 AM
Joined Sep 2007
25 Posts
There's a film on them. I tried to paint directly over the foam. Latex paint wouldn't stick to the foam. I washed the whole thing with denatured alcohol. My paint stuck on then. However the stock paint came off.
robbie9859901 is offline Find More Posts by robbie9859901
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 18, 2014, 09:32 AM
Yes it was Abby Normal
Joined May 2012
1,790 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by robbie9859901 View Post
There's a film on them. I tried to paint directly over the foam. Latex paint wouldn't stick to the foam. I washed the whole thing with denatured alcohol. My paint stuck on then. However the stock paint came off.
Aye 10:4 Robbie.....I thought my can of Polycrylic had gone sour or I had forgot how to paint a foamie!!

Tonight may be the last chance I have to continue dialing in this airframe for a few days as the winds are forecast to pick up at or near 14mph until the week end.....

I was expecting much more aileron authority during flight. Under full power I could barely manage a snap roll.....it was a pretty slow roll. I tried to dial back the down travel rate...but when I tried to do this on my DX6i it reduced the opposite sides Up travel!!! So for now I will leave my travel rates on Aileron at full throws and try to look closer at how it does. Additionally I found that I would like a little more elevator authority as I expected more reaction for a nose up flare on landings.....right now my first three landings are a bit bouncy.

So far with two flights and two landings my LG gear and plastic extender strut shock absorbers show no stress on pretty rough grass.

My eight minute flight came down with a pretty warm motor and I could feel some warmth on the ESC....so I will hold off flying more than (8) minutes for a few flights and provide plenty of cool down time between flights.

Hopefully I will be able to fly the LED's tonight and get some fresh video

TwistedGrin
TwistedGrin is offline Find More Posts by TwistedGrin
Old Aug 18, 2014, 07:31 PM
FLYING Better Than Drugs
Thonotosassa, FL
Joined May 2007
265 Posts
Well the nw landig grear works just the way I anted it too, and yes I know its not scale but it works realy good . I put a bunck of packs through it landing it just any old way and it held up just fine.

Bob
oldfish is offline Find More Posts by oldfish
Old Aug 18, 2014, 07:41 PM
FLYING Better Than Drugs
Thonotosassa, FL
Joined May 2007
265 Posts
[ATTACH]Name: 002.jpg
Views: 25
Size: 1.26 MB
Description: [/ATTACH]
sorry ment to add these to the last post
oldfish is offline Find More Posts by oldfish
Old Aug 18, 2014, 09:32 PM
Yes it was Abby Normal
Joined May 2012
1,790 Posts
Oldfish... your landing gear set up is the beesknees....how cool is that!!!

I really began to appreciate this airframe today as I just started to wring it out a little.....taking off with full flaps is awesome....I don't think it rolls forward more than an inch before it's up to the sky - - - - then landing deadstick with full flaps is also amazing. I was able to do touch and goes on rough grass via stock landing gear for the full eight minutes several batteries tonight.

I did end the evening with a pretty good video of the LED's in a beautiful sunset tonight.....this plane is very precise and small with good thrust authority lending to better low and slow flight in poor visibility conditions.....which is a good set up for video of the LED's.

I am coming to understand snap rolls are lumbersome and it needs down elevator during the inverted portion of the roll to maintain a flat trajectory without losing altitude. The stock set up has more than enough power and flight time with either a light 3s 30c 2200mAh or heavier 3s 55c 2600mAh LiPo. I am flying both batteries in the #4 slot of the Morgan Mill Battery Sled Tray....placing the COG very close to the 58mm mark on the wings....perhaps even a scoshe nose forward slightly down.

The plane does slow down to a crawl at half flap and will nearly hover in 8mph steady winds at full flaps.....marvelous.

So far my landing gear is holding up just fine...but I can see where a hard landing on one wheel could easily offend the plastic wheel hubs.....a set up like OldFish is the way to go.

I'll post up the LED flight as soon as U-Tube completes the compilation tonight.....

We have a very cool plane here fella's and you can give it hell for a full eight minutes with 3.82v left on the cells....landing temperature on my laser heat gun at landing showed 111degrees on both the motor and ESC.....so back to back to back flights are NOT advisable.....let your electrics cool down for at least five minutes between flights

Multiplex Pilatus late evening LED flight (10 min 41 sec)

TwistedGrin
Last edited by TwistedGrin; Aug 18, 2014 at 10:12 PM.
Old Yesterday, 10:19 AM
Hobby King Hater
USA
Joined Mar 2005
4,403 Posts
Mine will be here in a matter of hours, "on the truck for delivery".
Kimber is online now Find More Posts by Kimber
Old Yesterday, 01:20 PM
Yes it was Abby Normal
Joined May 2012
1,790 Posts
I am looking for more information regarding temperatures of our Pilatus as some of us are wondering if normal flying around 8minutes could be cooking our electrical components and motor. I shot temperatures with a hand held IR thermometer gun after a spirited 8minute flight....getting the battery out - retrieving the gun perhaps up to 45seconds after landing my bell housing was around 117degrees F and my ESC and wires were at or near 111degrees F.

I did not want to hold my finger on the motor bell housing too long after earlier flights as it felt too hot to continue......but could not feel any heat on the ESC.

I think my motor and temperatures "may" be somewhat hotter than other planes in my fleet upon landing......however I don't think the Pilatus is in any danger of overheating unless I choose to make back to back flights!!

The two rubber exhaust flares are indeed open to the outrunner bell....but I seriously doubt they contribute any airflow or cooling for the motor. While the front nose scoop might be passing some air through and over the ESC and battery....none of that can cool the motor.

It would be nice to get some air over the motor even though both sides of the motor housing are open....this may be plain 'Ol silly thinkin....So

Has anyone suffered heat issues with their stock set up, other than a melted motor mount as posted by Jasong911?

TwistedGrin
Old Yesterday, 09:47 PM
Tree hopper
United States, TN, Dresden
Joined Sep 2013
2,521 Posts
Good to know about the heat !!
gabe221 is offline Find More Posts by gabe221
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Welcome to my blog!
Old Yesterday, 10:06 PM
GLM
AMA 209854
Check Six!
Joined Oct 2003
1,466 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwistedGrin View Post
Oldfish... your landing gear set up is the beesknees....how cool is that!!!

I really began to appreciate this airframe today as I just started to wring it out a little.....taking off with full flaps is awesome....I don't think it rolls forward more than an inch before it's up to the sky - - - - then landing deadstick with full flaps is also amazing. I was able to do touch and goes on rough grass via stock landing gear for the full eight minutes several batteries tonight.

I did end the evening with a pretty good video of the LED's in a beautiful sunset tonight.....this plane is very precise and small with good thrust authority lending to better low and slow flight in poor visibility conditions.....which is a good set up for video of the LED's.

I am coming to understand snap rolls are lumbersome and it needs down elevator during the inverted portion of the roll to maintain a flat trajectory without losing altitude. The stock set up has more than enough power and flight time with either a light 3s 30c 2200mAh or heavier 3s 55c 2600mAh LiPo. I am flying both batteries in the #4 slot of the Morgan Mill Battery Sled Tray....placing the COG very close to the 58mm mark on the wings....perhaps even a scoshe nose forward slightly down.

The plane does slow down to a crawl at half flap and will nearly hover in 8mph steady winds at full flaps.....marvelous.

So far my landing gear is holding up just fine...but I can see where a hard landing on one wheel could easily offend the plastic wheel hubs.....a set up like OldFish is the way to go.

I'll post up the LED flight as soon as U-Tube completes the compilation tonight.....

We have a very cool plane here fella's and you can give it hell for a full eight minutes with 3.82v left on the cells....landing temperature on my laser heat gun at landing showed 111degrees on both the motor and ESC.....so back to back to back flights are NOT advisable.....let your electrics cool down for at least five minutes between flights

http://youtu.be/o1KCEvVcJrs

TwistedGrin
Excellent flight and report Twist!

Cheers!

Gary
GLM is offline Find More Posts by GLM
Old Yesterday, 10:08 PM
United States, CO, Lakewood
Joined Jan 2011
256 Posts
Multiplex PC-6 Pilatus Porter

I would hope everyone would not normally fly 6 batteries back to back, thus making any excess heat a pilot-induced issue, not a problem with the airplane. I need a crew chief to knock some sense into me.

To repeat: I don't think the Pilatus has a heat problem.

--Jason
Jasong911 is online now Find More Posts by Jasong911