HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 25, 2013, 02:47 PM
R.C. Designs - I fab. things
United States, MI, Sterling Heights
Joined Oct 2009
126 Posts
Question
2m Ka8b plan on Les Grands Planeurs RC

So I downloaded this plan from Les Grands Planeurs RC and I copied them to my USB flash drive and took them to FedEx / Kinko's to have them printed. Well, to say the least they are not at 2 meters. What I got works out to 5.2030? Is that 1:5.2 scale?

The wing panels are 56.75 inches root to tip each. What should be a w/s of 78.740 is 113.5 inches. I told them to print them at full size. I checked the pdf files and at 100% they are just what I got from Kinko's. I wanted a 2 meter set of plans.

Can one of you fine scale folks explain to me what is wrong please.

Thanks,

Rick
GDS&HS
DrlSgt is offline Find More Posts by DrlSgt
Last edited by DrlSgt; Jul 02, 2013 at 03:42 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 01, 2013, 04:54 AM
KISS_KeepItSimpleStupid
Invercargill, New Zealand
Joined Nov 2006
545 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrlSgt View Post
So I downloaded this plan from Les Grands Planeurs RC and I copied them to my USB flash drive and took them to FedEx / Kinko's to have them printed. Well, to say the least they are not at 2 meters. What I got works out to 5.2030? Is that 1:5.2 scale?

The wing panels are 56.75 inches root to tip each. What should be a w/s of 78.740 is 113.5 inches. I told them to print them at full size. I checked the pdf files and at 100% they are just what I got from Kinko's. I wanted a 2 meter set of plans.

Can one of you fine scale folks explain to me what is wrong please.

Thanks,

Rick
GDS&HS
Hi Rick, when I read this post I got intrigued. Printing pdfs is often a bit hit and miss. It comes down to how they were produced.
In this case they were printed in landscape on a portrait page. This may be where your printer made the error. If they clipped off the extra paper top and bottom then did a 100% print they will actually be enlarging it, which is what they supplied to you.
To test my theory I printed the pdfs myself today at work, I have access to an A0 plotter . . . very handy for large plans .
My prints scaled exactly as derscribed at 2m span. But the prints have a large amount of blank paper top and bottom.

I would suggest you go back to your printer and tell them to print the whole page including the extra blank paper. I think you'll find it will measure correctly.

Good luck,
Phillip C

PS:- Now I have the plans I might as well make one.
philkiteflyer is offline Find More Posts by philkiteflyer
Old Jul 01, 2013, 07:23 AM
Joined Oct 2009
126 Posts
Well that explains a lot. Thank you very much for clearing this up for me. I will try this again and see if they can get it right.

Thank you again.
Old Jul 02, 2013, 06:01 AM
KISS_KeepItSimpleStupid
Joined Nov 2006
545 Posts
Quote:
Well that explains a lot. Thank you very much for clearing this up for me. I will try this again and see if they can get it right.

Thank you again.
No worries, good luck.
Phillip C

PS; While they are printing them, ask for a "mirror" print of the wing. That way you can build both wings.
Old Jul 02, 2013, 03:10 PM
Joined Oct 2009
126 Posts
I went back and had them reprint the files without cropping out the unused paper and they came out right at 2 meters.
So now I have a 2m set and a 2.883m set.

Thanks again.

Rick
GDS&HS
Last edited by DrlSgt; Jul 02, 2013 at 03:31 PM.
Old Jul 03, 2013, 06:34 AM
KISS_KeepItSimpleStupid
Joined Nov 2006
545 Posts
Quote:
I went back and had them reprint the files without cropping out the unused paper and they came out right at 2 meters.
So now I have a 2m set and a 2.883m set.

Thanks again.

Rick
GDS&HS
Thats great. You can NEVER have too many plans . . .

Phillip C