HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 13, 2013, 07:08 PM
Australia
Joined Feb 2013
1,226 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeByDocKy View Post
Nice work ... You should also propose some BNF version ...coz all the soldering part of your model is not for beginner as I am
BNF versions might be available in the future, right now I'm pretty strapped for time !

Quote:
Originally Posted by richgraf View Post
I would definitely like to get one of these, very impressive. I'm good at soldering and building. Not good at programming, flashing etc. processors flightboards.

Any chance of being able to buy one of these frames with a CC3D all set up with your settings and a list of rctx programming?
Thanks.
Rich Graf
Flashed ESCs are not required, but make the quad a lot smoother and better to fly.

CC3D is very easy to setup. Before the frames ship i will have .uav files available which you can easily load into Open Pilots GCS. Open Pilot is such a pleasure to use compared to other Open Source projects !

In the video posted below, I'm using the latest firmware (Italian Stallion) flying with stock PIDs. Not perfect, but very flyable !

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescrn View Post
That looks very sweet!

I've got a Flyduino Nanoquad, so I know how great those little T-Motors are - I'm guessing it's still got a good amount of power even loaded up with FPV gear And the 2-blade props are absolutely the way to go, the 3-blades are just a pain.

Guessing it'd fly pretty well on the Turnigy 1811-2900Kv motors, too, if you wanted to reduce the build cost a bit?
It flies great ! The tigers have heaps of punch for such tiny motors, hover throttle is about 40% with the 808 #16 HD Camera.

Here is a video at a bigger park
Bigger park, still crashes // Blackout Mini H Quad // MT1306-10 // CC3D (3 min 30 sec)

2 blade are the way to go IMHO, 3 blade are awful.... but look cooler :P GemFans 5" are the best balanced I've found. Quality 5" props are hard to find, please let me know if you have found better !

I have used the Turnigy 1811-2900kv's. After two let go mid air (two separate instances) and crashed, i went to Tigers. I have never looked back.

Sadly in the mini motor market there are no good mid priced motors, like the sunnysky's etc. It's either bad or good :P

The Turnigy 2118 SK3 3100kv is what i would try on the cheaper side. As always, buy spares

By using SK3's, you would reduce the build cost by about 1/5th or $100. But, the quality difference between the motors is substantial.
Enforcement is online now Find More Posts by Enforcement
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 13, 2013, 10:20 PM
United States, CA
Joined May 2013
225 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKCobra View Post
Petete,

I hope you will read this and benefit from my mistakes, and save yourself some money. I started out with an AR Drone and I got bored of it very quickly. It's probably fine if you're just looking for something to bash around with your kids, but if you're using words like FPV and AP or AV then you will probably be spending $400-$500 on something that will be sitting in the closet in a few months.

The thing about the AR Drone, it does a lot of stuff. It comes ready to fly, it does hover lock, it works from your phone or tablet so you don't need to buy a controller, and it even does FPV and Video Recording.

The other thing about the AR Drone, it while it does a lot for a cheap quad, it doesn't do ANYTHING particularly well.

First off, out of the box the range totally sucks. You might get 150' (that's feet, not meters) out of the box in an open field with no interference, but most likely you'll get 100' or so. You can extend the range with stuff like wheel antenna mods, wi-fi range extenders, and conversion kits to make it use a spectrum tx, but those will cost money, and some require some electronic expertise.

Secondly, I think the FPV is crap. When I tried to fly FPV on the AR Drone I had a lot of trouble flying through even something as big as a 20' gap between trees. Now I'm using fatsharks and a decent camera and I have no problem squeezing through tight spots (here's one of my recent videos recorded with my whitespy using a HoryzonHD camera and fatsharks. I'm still not exactly Juz but I couldn't do this with my AR Drone: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Rd9zhXZt-Y).

Lastly, don't let the $300 price tag fool you. By the time you buy extra batteries, extra parts, and do something about the pitiful range you'll have spent $500 on it easy.

If you really want to jump in right away I'd recommend a cheap micro to start off, but for all you want to do, you might just want to wait a month or so and check out the Eye One Extreme. There's a thread on it in this forum somewhere, but it looks to be pretty big for a mini and should have plenty of power to carry a light camera and video tx, it will grow with you (there will be a module available to allow you to use it with a standard Tx), and it supposedly will only cost $120 to start. You should be able to add a 808 #16 camera and a Vtx and still be well under the cost of an AR Drone, for a much better quad.

That's just my opinion anyway. I'm pretty new at all of this stuff myself so it for what it's worth, but if I were just starting out now I would pass on the AR Drone, probably get a regular Eye One for $50 for now, and then the Extreme when it comes out.

Sorry to ramble on so long, but I wanted to give you as much info as I could.

Hi AkCobra,
Thanks for your comments and advices you really answered my questions and doubts. I was thinking in the Eye One from RcLogger, also they are going to release the OneLink device to allow us to use our own transmitter ( I have the Dx6i). In their website also they are advertising a FPV kit , which is not available yet but soon acording to their website. (http://www.rclogger.com/RC-EYE/Spare...z-FPV-Kit.html)

I watched you video and it was great you are a good pilot....just curious... what quadcopter do you have.
MirageRC is offline Find More Posts by MirageRC
Old Jul 14, 2013, 07:03 AM
United States, RI, Cumberland
Joined Feb 2013
703 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petete View Post
Hi AkCobra,
Thanks for your comments and advices you really answered my questions and doubts. I was thinking in the Eye One from RcLogger, also they are going to release the OneLink device to allow us to use our own transmitter ( I have the Dx6i). In their website also they are advertising a FPV kit , which is not available yet but soon acording to their website. (http://www.rclogger.com/RC-EYE/Spare...z-FPV-Kit.html)

I watched you video and it was great you are a good pilot....just curious... what quadcopter do you have.
Here's my full setup:
Witespy HT-450 with witespy stock escs and motors
DJI Naza fc with GPS
Spektrum DX7 w/AR 8000 receiver
HoryzonHD V3 video/FPV cam (recently dead, have a new one on order)
Fatshark attitude fpv goggles with 5.8 ghz 250 mw vtx

Purchased RTF from Ready to fly Quads.
AKCobra is offline Find More Posts by AKCobra
Old Jul 16, 2013, 09:48 PM
Australia
Joined Feb 2013
1,226 Posts
After a lot of requests, i made a GoPro video. 2S struggled, but handled it with grace.

A 3S test with GoPro is coming soon. Pictures are in my build thread !

GoPro Test 1 // Blackout Mini H Quad // MT1306-10 // CC3D (4 min 3 sec)
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 17, 2013, 12:56 AM
United States, CA
Joined May 2013
225 Posts
wow... great video.... I really enjoyed....
MirageRC is offline Find More Posts by MirageRC
Old Jul 17, 2013, 04:53 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Apr 2013
296 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enforcement View Post
Recently i built my version of a Mini H Quad.

The goal was a durable, compact, sport FPV quad that used high quality FPV gear i would normally use on a ~450mm quad.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZg1K...layer_embedded

Materials used are Carbon Fiber, 304 Stainless Steel and high quality Nylon 6/6.

The Arms and Legs are 2mm while the plates are 1mm thick.

MTM dimensions are 220mm diagonally x 175mm wide x 135mm long. Height is roughly 40mm (excluding legs)

Motors: Tiger MT1306-10 3100kv - motor mounts accept 12-16mm M2 motor holes
Prop: 5x3 2 Blade GemFan
ESC: HK UBEC 6amp – SimonK
Battery: 2S 1000mah 25C/55C Nanotech
FC: FPVManuals CC3D
Receiver: FrSky D4R-II receiver – decased, 8 channel CPPM mode, tiny!
FPV Camera: SONY Super HAD CCD 600TVL D-WDR DNR Board Camera w/ 2.8mm lens (115 degree FOV) - built in camera mount accepts any 32mm x 32mm board camera
HD Camera: 808 #16 V2 Lens D Keychain Camera
Video Transmitter: ImmersionRC 600mw Video Transmitter
Antenna: ImmersionRC SpiroNet
Voltage Regulator: Pololu Adjustable Boost Regulator 4-25V - for the 12v camera

AUW is 321 grams
AUW with 808 #16 Camera is 348 grams

Full build log with 124 photos & various videos can be found on the Open Pilot forums -> Blackout's Mini H Quad
Bummer. I just got a 450 h4 in the mail today that I ordered because I didn't like any of the mini frame solutions I could find. But still...

edit: never mind next question I read the post, sorry.
What's the biggest motor you could put on there? I'm wondering how much of my already owned parts will fit. If all I need is a new lipo and some odds and ends to make my fcb and everything fit this I might have to order one before my next frame busting crash instead of after.

This this looks bitchin', flies great and is just the size I was looking for but didn't think you could find in an H.
foxactual is offline Find More Posts by foxactual
Last edited by foxactual; Jul 18, 2013 at 03:36 AM.
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jul 17, 2013, 07:00 PM
Portugal
Joined Feb 2012
3,146 Posts
The Eye one Xtreme may be a good fpv platform...
GhostMaster is offline Find More Posts by GhostMaster
Old Jul 18, 2013, 04:29 AM
Silent But Deadly
Belgium, Brussels
Joined Jun 2009
39 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheese5 View Post
I'm flying FPV using the 808 16 and a V949 with gws props, I got to say its great! Its stable, hovers well, no more wobbling as compared to stock, handles a bit of wind, and above all, is VERY durable. Unfortunately the range suffers. I can get 170m of reliable range, more than that it starts to drop in and out, usually takes too long to reconnect and ends up in the ground. I have not found a good way to solve this range issue yet (as a 2.4ghz booster costs as much as the quad and reliability is also unstable). So currently this quad is my park and backyard quad for crashing around and weaving through trees!
i've just odered a v959 for the same reasons.

cheap, stable, micro fpv capable

i was about to pull the trigger on a 400 euro dji setup, but i think i'll build myself something later based on multiwii +gps
hitm4n is offline Find More Posts by hitm4n
Old Jul 18, 2013, 10:58 AM
United States, CA
Joined Jul 2010
4,345 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitm4n View Post
i've just odered a v959 for the same reasons.

cheap, stable, micro fpv capable

i was about to pull the trigger on a 400 euro dji setup, but i think i'll build myself something later based on multiwii +gps
I'm still amazed at these micro quads' durability! They just don't die! So this is the FPV system that I can zip close to the ground and weave through trees without worries of crashing! (crashing doesn't end the flight, its just a minor inconvenience to pick it up and throw it back in the air!).

Until the RC logger eye extreme debuts I'll be FPVing my mqx/V949!
Cheese5 is offline Find More Posts by Cheese5
Old Jul 18, 2013, 12:24 PM
Joined Jan 2013
122 Posts
The upcoming v262 from WL Toys looks promising. It is a little bigger than a mini, but not by much after you remove the foam airframe. The airframe itself is around 80g, so taking that off (it isn't necessary) allows for a total payload of over 100g. Plenty for getting an 808 and some FPV gear airborne. Plus the price is right, being well under $100 from banggood.
misterpepper is offline Find More Posts by misterpepper
Old Jul 18, 2013, 04:43 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Apr 2013
296 Posts
I've flown a 3 axis 959 and a 6 axis 212 both fpv with an 808 no16 and the accelerometers make all the difference. The 959 flies great but in the video the view "hops" up and down really fast a lot as the quad maneuvers.

The v212 is WAY smoother. Smoother than I can take by hand with a image stabilized dslr.

If you want a sub 100$ rtf quad I would go with (I am going with as soon as they are out) the v262 coming out any day now. With the 212 you have to strip a lot off the quad and cam to get it light enough to fly when using an 808 no16. The v262 can carry well over 100 grams with its foam rings off according to James Chen's review.

But there is the potential that the v2xx line's drop-out problem still persists in this model. They say they fixed it but...we'll see.
Old Jul 18, 2013, 08:16 PM
Australia
Joined Feb 2013
1,226 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxactual View Post
Bummer. I just got a 450 h4 in the mail today that I ordered because I didn't like any of the mini frame solutions I could find. But still...

edit: never mind next question I read the post, sorry.
What's the biggest motor you could put on there? I'm wondering how much of my already owned parts will fit. If all I need is a new lipo and some odds and ends to make my fcb and everything fit this I might have to order one before my next frame busting crash instead of after.

This this looks bitchin', flies great and is just the size I was looking for but didn't think you could find in an H.
Any mini motor. M2 hole, 12mm-19mm.

The 16mm & 19mm section could be drilled out to suit M3 holes.

Really, the smaller motors on 2S or 3S have more than enough power !
2S - 2900-3100
3S - 2200-2500

I was going to do this, but it increased cost a lot. (fine detail cuts)

RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 19, 2013, 12:46 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Apr 2013
296 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enforcement View Post
Any mini motor. M2 hole, 12mm-19mm.

The 16mm & 19mm section could be drilled out to suit M3 holes.

Really, the smaller motors on 2S or 3S have more than enough power !
2S - 2900-3100
3S - 2200-2500

I was going to do this, but it increased cost a lot. (fine detail cuts)

This quad has me thinking like this:

A frame that nice deserves getting components that fit right...But I can't justify another quad...I'll just price parts...I won't buy anything ...yet.

And that's how it always starts, whether it's telescopes or dslrs or quadcopters or whatever.

But this will be the last quad I'll need...riiiight.
Old Jul 19, 2013, 01:16 AM
Australia
Joined Feb 2013
1,226 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxactual View Post
This quad has me thinking like this:

A frame that nice deserves getting components that fit right...But I can't justify another quad...I'll just price parts...I won't buy anything ...yet.

And that's how it always starts, whether it's telescopes or dslrs or quadcopters or whatever.

But this will be the last quad I'll need...riiiight.
Tiger MT1306-10 on 2S or 3S, cannot go wrong !
RCG Plus Member