HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 30, 2013, 12:09 PM
Joined Jan 2013
25 Posts
Discussion
PC Power Supply for iCharger 306b

Now before telling me to search it from google, I'll say it beforehand, I already did...

What I want is not to convert a PSU for using with the charger, but to use my current desktop pc's psu which is 1000W rated and more than enough for charging my batteries while I'm playing games...

The question is; is there a simple connector or jack, I don't know what you call it, to connect my charger to one of the molex connectors on my PSU?
TiesTorN is offline Find More Posts by TiesTorN
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 30, 2013, 12:16 PM
United States, MN
Joined Feb 2011
4,349 Posts
Um... I wouldn't do this for multiple reasons. There is no simple connector, you would need to build it. Also your PC doesn't have 1000W on the 12V line, it's split between many voltages. I wouldn't be so sure you have the power to spare. You would need to use multiple molex connectors from your PSU because the wire gauge is too small for just one to handle the load. Ever wonder why there's so many wires on a PCIe power connector going to your video card? Because the wires are too thin for 1 to be enough. Also keep in mind if the charger were to blow up there's a good chance it would take half your PC with it.

So I gotta ask, you can afford a gaming pc with a 1000W power supply but you can't afford $50 for a server power supply to run your charger?
grimbeaver is offline Find More Posts by grimbeaver
Old Jan 30, 2013, 01:44 PM
Joined Jan 2013
25 Posts
I can, but there is no need...

I know 1 molex won't be enough. And when I was saying that I wasn't thinking of using full potential of the charger anyway. 300-500W charging would be enough. I can't use more than that anyway, I'll need 24V for that.

Actually, it will be better if I can connect it via pci-e power port (and 2 of them, if possible) since it can deliver more power. But I couldn't find anything related to it online.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 01:50 PM
Suspended Account
United States, AZ, Tucson
Joined Mar 2012
3,265 Posts
Get a server PS! they are cheap in fact I got mine out of a dumpster in a alley!
goldsworthy is offline Find More Posts by goldsworthy
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jan 30, 2013, 02:08 PM
United States, MN
Joined Feb 2011
4,349 Posts
Seriously server power supplies are $10 each off ebay if you're willing to do the minor mods that need to be done yourself. There's plenty of instructions available.

Up to you if you really want to do this but I wouldn't. Here's the info on the PCIe connector, part numbers and all:
http://www.playtool.com/pages/psucon...tml#pciexpress

Just go buy the connector from someplace like DigiKey.

According to that info though 6-pin is limited to 75W and 8-pin is 150W. Not exactly ideal for running your charger.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 03:30 PM
Joined Jan 2013
25 Posts
well I got 4 pci-e power ports on my PSU so I don't need extra connector, just the information on how to use them
Old Jan 30, 2013, 03:58 PM
United States, MN
Joined Feb 2011
4,349 Posts
This just boggles my mind... you're going to hack up your 1000W psu that your PC is currently using? You never plan to use those connectors? Who buys a 1000W psu without a graphics card that needs it?

I'm getting the distinct impression someone else paid for this PC you are hacking up and they don't know what you are about to do.

Is it that hard to find a cheap server power supply in Istanbul, Turkey?
Old Jan 30, 2013, 05:20 PM
Seattle
Joined Sep 2007
2,145 Posts
Gregor99 is offline Find More Posts by Gregor99
Old Jan 30, 2013, 05:23 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Mar 2012
3,265 Posts
Old Jan 30, 2013, 05:29 PM
So. Cal.
Joined Oct 2004
7,940 Posts
We need an emoticon of a fish swimming upstream. Someone tell the mods.

Until then.
mrforsyth is online now Find More Posts by mrforsyth
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 30, 2013, 07:25 PM
Joined Jan 2013
25 Posts
lol

First of all, who told u that I live in Turkey? I live in US

And second; I had to buy that PSU cuz I had no other choice at that moment, long story...

3 of the PCI-E ports are free and I can use them. Though it seems like everybody is enjoying themselves with their stupid smileys instead writing something useful

Quote:
I'm getting the distinct impression someone else paid for this PC you are hacking up and they don't know what you are about to do.
Dude... This is something you would do when you're 17, not 27... I'm an IT guy who knows everything about high level computer stuff like you do in hobby stuff... I'm all new to this stuff, I even got my charger today. So I'm asking...
Old Jan 30, 2013, 07:34 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Mar 2012
3,265 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TiesTorN View Post
lol

First of all, who told u that I live in Turkey? I live in US

And second; I had to buy that PSU cuz I had no other choice at that moment, long story...

3 of the PCI-E ports are free and I can use them. Though it seems like everybody is enjoying themselves with their stupid smileys instead writing something useful

Dude... This is something you would do when you're 17, not 27... I'm an IT guy who knows everything about high level computer stuff like you do in hobby stuff... I'm all new to this stuff, I even got my charger today. So I'm asking...
And we are advising you to use a server power supply.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 07:50 PM
Sky Pilot
Victorville, CA
Joined Jun 2006
1,114 Posts
Get yourself one of these.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/HP-Proliant-...item43b7fbd7f0
$16 delivered to your door. Will take less than an hour to convert it if you can solder. Solder on two leads and connect three pins, without opening up the case. 12.5V, 47A, 575W. Later, if you get a bigger charger, you can add one more in series for 25V, 47A, 1150W. A whole lot less trouble than you are going to go through trying to get your PS to work. There is a whole thread about how to do it.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1581061
And a blog showing how as well
https://sites.google.com/site/tjingu...projects/HP47A
still4given is offline Find More Posts by still4given
Old Jan 30, 2013, 09:01 PM
Seattle
Joined Sep 2007
2,145 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TiesTorN View Post
Though it seems like everybody is enjoying themselves with their stupid smileys instead writing something useful
What more is there to say? The right answer was already given and you dismissed it, choosing instead to head down path that sounds risky. By your own account, your knowledge of RC hobby chargers is fresh. Those that took the time to answer speak from experience in this hobby. If you want to discard the help you have been given, risk your PC, charger and possibly starting a fire, then keep us posted on your progress.

Gregor99 is offline Find More Posts by Gregor99
Old Jan 30, 2013, 10:01 PM
United States, MN
Joined Feb 2011
4,349 Posts
Lol I took a shot with Turkey. You said you played games and your nickname turns up several profiles of a gamer in Turkey.

That said I've got quite the IT background as well. I have a BS in Computer Engineering and have spent a lot of time doing computer repair professionally or on the side since the mid 90s. So don't assume I only know hobby stuff.
Last edited by grimbeaver; Jan 30, 2013 at 10:14 PM.