i put the gear on because i am going to be flying in a gym this winter
lugnutz is offline Find More Posts by lugnutz
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 07, 2012, 09:46 PM
3d addict
United States, NY, Rochester
Joined May 2011
1,038 Posts
Nice I'm on the hunt for a gym to fly in this winter still.
Aaeolien is offline Find More Posts by Aaeolien
Old Oct 08, 2012, 06:23 AM
United States, MO, St Louis
Joined Jan 2009
450 Posts
Or you could leave the gear off, save the weight and expense and just hand launch and catch it.
STLAV8R is offline Find More Posts by STLAV8R
Old Oct 08, 2012, 10:35 AM
Sparta,WI,USA
Joined Nov 2000
1,551 Posts
Here's a little video of one of the many "dirt flirt'n" flights I have had with the Pitts.

How slow and how low can you go....????

PITTS DIRT FLIRT'N #1 (2 min 49 sec)

RonJ
RonJ is offline Find More Posts by RonJ
Old Oct 08, 2012, 11:17 AM
United Kingdom, Aviemore
Joined Feb 2005
3,244 Posts
Nice flying Ron. What a beautiful flying day too. Do you have any pics or details of what you did with your undercarriage? Looks good from what I could see of it.
Aviefly is offline Find More Posts by Aviefly
Old Oct 08, 2012, 01:46 PM
Slopeaholic
Joined May 2011
3,639 Posts
Nice Landing Ron! On the prop, were you trying to save the undercariiage? How well does the undercarriage work on grass?

Heres my build so far. Im short of a aileron servo, it died in my Crack Yak, so build is stalled until it gets here. Going together easy so far. Servo and radio in, motor everything checked over.

Does anyone have a pitts on 3s video?

Thx.
jimbo320 is offline Find More Posts by jimbo320
Old Oct 08, 2012, 02:20 PM
United Kingdom, Aviemore
Joined Feb 2005
3,244 Posts
Here you go Jimbo

Crack Pitts, Crack Series Motor on 3S 380mah (5 min 14 sec)
Old Oct 08, 2012, 02:29 PM
3d Kiwi
New Zealand
Joined Dec 2007
3,095 Posts
nice flying there bud! Mine will be cracking out of the box in a few weeks once weather improves.
uptime4downtime is offline Find More Posts by uptime4downtime
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Phantom Vision+ tips
Old Oct 08, 2012, 05:13 PM
Sparta,WI,USA
Joined Nov 2000
1,551 Posts
The gear was my own design. Did the same thing on my Yak. It was for looks only and turned out to be a pain in the posterior. When a friend asked me to order and build him a Pitts I included an extra set of TH carbon gear for myself. The CF gear works great. Still hand launch but landings much better. Will work great indoor this winter.

RonJ
Old Oct 08, 2012, 05:31 PM
Sparta,WI,USA
Joined Nov 2000
1,551 Posts
Hey Aviefly..

You got 5 minutes plus on a 3S-380 lipo ? I have a stack of 2S-460 & 610's that will make 5 minutes of low and slow. Started out with Nano-Techs, then added a few Gens Ace and now trying out the Rhino 610's. The Rhinos are looking good so far and only a gram or two heavier. Winter coming and plan to run tests on all my lipos to see how many amps are left.
The volts part usually reads OK but the amps are the important part. One of my original Nanos will give me only a 2 minute flight now. Volts good, amps down. I charge everything at 2C. Flights are timed to 5 minutes.

RonJ, Happy TH Pitts driver
Old Oct 09, 2012, 05:45 AM
Australia, QLD, Tewantin
Joined Jul 2012
51 Posts
Guys and Gals,

Bit of a noob (and probably weird) question, but I plan on getting the Pitts sometime in the near future.

In the meantime, after realising my limitations with the planes I unwittingly bought as complete newcomer, I've just received a GWS Slowstick.

Sooo, plan is to learn the basics with this and then move to the Pitts.

Now the question (finally)......

I got a little confused with some comments a couple of weeks back regarding rudder and ailerons and turning.

The Slowstick is 3 channel, so, should I have the rudder on the right stick or left stick (Throttle is on the left stick for me).

I'm thinking right stick to get into the habit of 'turning' on the right stick.

Phew, hope that makes sense
cheezels is offline Find More Posts by cheezels
Old Oct 09, 2012, 07:12 AM
United Kingdom, Aviemore
Joined Feb 2005
3,244 Posts
Yeh I'd go for rudder on the right stick for that. Reason being its your primary steering channel where as the Pitts its the ailerons. I don't know what radio you have but I think it would help with the transition if later on when you've got the hang of it you programme a mix from the left stick to the right with your slow stick. It will help you get used to using the left stick to steer with too which will help you greatly with the Pitts.
Old Oct 09, 2012, 07:16 AM
Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire, Great Britain (UK)
Joined Jan 2000
3,030 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aviefly View Post
Looks like you have some amazingly smooth grass to fly off

Mike
Mike Smart is offline Find More Posts by Mike Smart
Old Oct 09, 2012, 07:21 AM
Parkfly Padawan
United States, PA, Waynesburg
Joined Aug 2011
937 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheezels View Post
Guys and Gals,

Bit of a noob (and probably weird) question, but I plan on getting the Pitts sometime in the near future.

In the meantime, after realising my limitations with the planes I unwittingly bought as complete newcomer, I've just received a GWS Slowstick.

Sooo, plan is to learn the basics with this and then move to the Pitts.

Now the question (finally)......

I got a little confused with some comments a couple of weeks back regarding rudder and ailerons and turning.

The Slowstick is 3 channel, so, should I have the rudder on the right stick or left stick (Throttle is on the left stick for me).

I'm thinking right stick to get into the habit of 'turning' on the right stick.

Phew, hope that makes sense
A few things, mostly all my opinion, but we'll see what others say as well....

1. Welcome.
2. Don't feel that the Pitts is only for advanced pilots. Yes, it has the abilities of being a crazy acrobat in the sky, and the build is a tad tricky in a couple of spots, but it can fly slow, and with lower rates, it will make you better. I'm proof of that. Plus, it's very tough, and will take to grass crash landings like it belongs there. lol
3. I'm sure some folks with disagree with me here, but in regards to your rudder/3 channel planes... if you have the option of putting the rudder on your left stick, DO IT!! Learn to fly and turn with your rudder under your left hand. Learn everything you can about what the rudder does... right-side up, inverted, knife-edge (plane flying on it's side), etc.... I say this for two reasons... I learned to fly without using rudder, which now I'm trying to overcome and learning to use the rudder. In these slow fly and 3D planes, you use it A LOT. Old habbits are hard to break.... which leads me to my next point. If you "learn" to fly with rudder under your right hand, then switch to a 4 channel common setup, you'll have to teach yourself all over again.

Like I said, this is just my opinion... most people fly with a common radio setup, but there really isn't anything saying you can't have the channels where you want them I guess.... Keep us updated and best of luck!
JForbes is offline Find More Posts by JForbes
Old Oct 09, 2012, 07:39 AM
Team Twisted!
United States, CO, Denver
Joined Jun 2011
1,713 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo320 View Post
Nice Landing Ron! On the prop, were you trying to save the undercariiage? How well does the undercarriage work on grass?

Heres my build so far. Im short of a aileron servo, it died in my Crack Yak, so build is stalled until it gets here. Going together easy so far. Servo and radio in, motor everything checked over.

Does anyone have a pitts on 3s video?

Thx.
Crack Pitts 062212 (2 min 16 sec)

cdee
cdee is offline Find More Posts by cdee
Last edited by cdee; Oct 09, 2012 at 07:48 AM.