Newbie Slow Stick flight report

Sanyo NiMH 8cell AAA 9.6v 720mah
Maxx LI-ION 7.4v 700mah
ESC: Great Planes C-10 Micro
Tx: Futaba Conquest
Rx: GWS Nano HH
Servos GWS Nano HH
Prop: 12x8

First of all, I'd like to thank everyone here that have helped me build a great plane.

The first few flights were 10 second prop breakers. 6 in one day to be exact. I finally understood the importance of the CG in this plane. I ended up building a CG jig like the ones some of you have. After that, I balanced her a couple hairs nose heavy and voila! a perfectly flying plane w/zero crashes after. It took me some getting used to using control sufaces (My other plane is an Outlaw).
At first I had my elevator controls R_Rx stick up=Decend, R_Rx stick down=Ascend. I had serious problems getting used to that so I reversed the servo. I am beginning to get good at judging distance and angle. And I can fly her perfect 2 feet off the ground fast or slow througout a whole battery session. (low n' slow is fun). Landing is pretty good, she is really easy to land but I need practice lining up. I "Launchpad McQuacked" her a couple times but without a scratch.

I have noticed that the NiMH batt packs way more punch and seems to last longer than the Li-ION?? Any ideas on that?

Thanks all,
fizzak is offline Find More Posts by fizzak
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 18, 2003, 08:29 PM
Box Elder, SD
Joined May 2002
1,473 Posts
I fought the CG thing with mine at first too, for some reason I like to never got it balanced but once I did Sweat! I learned my lesson and can't stress the importance of proper CG enough.

Just came back from flying out one battery pack had to stop cause it was getting dark. Pretty much did several touch and goes, and flew 5 to 10 ft above the ground. I'm woring on low level flying right now, next comes the camera!

CrashinJ
nr5a is offline Find More Posts by nr5a
Old Sep 18, 2003, 08:46 PM
love it or leave it USA
texoma
Joined Sep 2003
65 Posts
i'm reassembling a slow stick at the moment and can't remember the cg or how far to put the wing back from the motor. this is an old plane but i crashed the beaver and need to put the electros back in the old faithful slow stick. help from someone with the book would be appreciated
skyscooter is offline Find More Posts by skyscooter
Old Sep 18, 2003, 08:47 PM
an earth bound misfit, I
St. Pete, Florida
Joined Sep 2001
9,429 Posts
Congrats on the maiden flight!

You really should try to fly with the right Tx stick set for stick forward/up=descend and Tx stick back/down=ascend. That's the way almost everyone in the US flys. And if you ever get a chance to try another persons plane or have sometone fly your's it can be very confusing.

The 700mah LiIon does not have enough amp capability for a EPS300 with a 12x8 prop. It will draw down very fast to the Low Voltage Cutoff point. (LVC) You might be able to get awy with two packs in parallel but the 12x8 would be pushing the limit there too. There's a good chance of destroying the LI battery pack pulling that many amps out of it.

BC
Basketcase is offline Find More Posts by Basketcase
Old Sep 18, 2003, 08:48 PM
Smooth Air
Kelowna, British Columbia, Canada
Joined Apr 2003
1,500 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by skyscooter
i'm reassembling a slow stick at the moment and can't remember the cg or how far to put the wing back from the motor. this is an old plane but i crashed the beaver and need to put the electros back in the old faithful slow stick. help from someone with the book would be appreciated
What exactly do you need help with, and what radio system are you using?

Geof.
Morb is offline Find More Posts by Morb
Old Sep 19, 2003, 10:26 AM
love it or leave it USA
texoma
Joined Sep 2003
65 Posts
i need to know the location of the center of gravity, and how far back on the stick the leading edge of the wing should be. i'm using a hitec feather rx and hs-55 servos. 8.4 600mah for power. and a gws esc.
Old Sep 19, 2003, 11:01 AM
It's the last plane honey
Granite Bay, CA USA
Joined Jul 2003
2,133 Posts
The CG is measured 4 1/8" back from the leading edge (LE) of the wing. You should try to balance the plane at that point by placing your finger tips on each side of the wing as close to the fuselage as possible. The plane should balance level or slightly nose down.

The distance the wing is from the nose of the plane has nothing to do with CG per se, it is just a means of adjustment that will allow you to achieve balance at the 4 1/8" point, behind the LE. The reason GWS recommends the distance from the nose is that, for the flight pack they recommend, more often than not, the CG of the plane will be with the wing 4 1/2" to 5/34" from the nose.

To clarify, either slide the wing, the battery pack, or a combination of both, to achieve balance 4 1/8" from the wing LE. As long as you measure the CG at the 4 1/8" point, the wing can be located anywhere on the fuselage.

Hope this helps,

Andy
SlowRider is offline Find More Posts by SlowRider
Last edited by SlowRider; Sep 19, 2003 at 11:04 AM.
Old Sep 19, 2003, 11:01 AM
Joined Sep 2002
2,098 Posts
LE of wing is 4-5" back on the fuse. CG is 4 1/4" from LE of wing.

Sierra Gold
sierra-gold is offline Find More Posts by sierra-gold
Old Sep 19, 2003, 03:09 PM
love it or leave it USA
texoma
Joined Sep 2003
65 Posts
thanks guys, it flew good the first time i had it together, hopefully it'll hold the standard on it's 2nd go round. i can't believe i threw away the instructions that had the info in it. i don't throw away anything having to do with planes. they are sooooo cool.
Old Sep 19, 2003, 05:58 PM
St. Louis, MO USA
Joined Sep 2003
62 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Basketcase
Congrats on the maiden flight!

You really should try to fly with the right Tx stick set for stick forward/up=descend and Tx stick back/down=ascend. That's the way almost everyone in the US flys. And if you ever get a chance to try another persons plane or have sometone fly your's it can be very confusing.

The 700mah LiIon does not have enough amp capability for a EPS300 with a 12x8 prop. It will draw down very fast to the Low Voltage Cutoff point. (LVC) You might be able to get awy with two packs in parallel but the 12x8 would be pushing the limit there too. There's a good chance of destroying the LI battery pack pulling that many amps out of it.

BC
Thanks for the tip, I guess i'll store away the Li-Ion till' my next plane. BTW the ESC is a GP C-10 12 amp, Not the EPS300 15 amp. But I assume the same situation.

Thanks,
Old Sep 19, 2003, 09:38 PM
Lubbock, Texas, United States
Joined Jul 2003
975 Posts
Fizzak:

Glad to hear you are having fun and enjoying your new Slow Stick! Once the CG is right on, she's a beauty!

Don't you love the control response you gain with movable surfaces versus the variable throttle with the firebird?

I also remember telling you that the Stick can fly slower than the Outlaw. What do you think?

Just as a tip, I found that occasionally on those rough landings, the slide-on parts can shift a few millimeters causing the elevator and rudder to shift up or down. I didn't realize this at first and just kept having to trim the plane a little more one way or the other. I slid them back into place and the control surfaces moved right back into place. I then took a sharpie and drew marks on the aluminum tube where they are supposed to be. Now, I check them before every flight, especially after a rougher landing.

I flew mine with a KAN 950 X 8 cell pack with the very same GP Micro-10 ESC and burned up the motor after 40 flights or so. I opened up the motor and the brushes had worn completely out. What really sucks is that I checked my speed controller and it burned up too. Poof! Blew a component right on the tiny circuit board. I now have a Castle Creations Pixie twenty and it seems like a much more solid piece of hardware. Just realize this may happen to you at some point flying with 8 cells.

Have fun and keep posting on your successes!

P.S. Is your wife still speaking to you?
Highlander is offline Find More Posts by Highlander
Old Sep 20, 2003, 12:08 AM
St. Louis, MO USA
Joined Sep 2003
62 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Highlander
P.S. Is your wife still speaking to you?
Yes, we came to a mutual agreement. Now I am preparing to clean out the basement "junk room" and turn it into a Boeing production facility!

The SS is really fun to fly super slow and low IMO.
I am planning to do a few mods to it this weekend; rubber wheels, wing strengthing ..ect.

Regards,