HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 05, 2012, 08:01 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,613 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerofundan View Post
I can also tell you guys, that the PA 2200 20-40c packs are awesome!, i have a few that are around 2 years old, and they still are as powerful as always! They also haven't puffed in 2 years of flying!......
Dan,

That has also been my experience. I have a pair of PA's 3s 2200 packs that are 2.5 years old, and they're still in great shape.

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 06, 2012, 06:39 AM
Fly to live- Live to fly
ROTA-CADIZ-SPAIN
Joined Jan 2008
1,014 Posts
Hi buddies, at last Three Kings Day arrived, I just openened the box and checked for everything, all was OK, and inmediatly begin the construction. One of the first thing was checking by myself the fit of the Axis motor to the firewall mounting holes. It was perfect, like were designed for this engine too, also you must removed the C clip, but I think that even it is not neccesary to remove some balsa material from the reinforcement inside triangles, cause Axi motor are sharper on this area than T-40..., good news also...
After that today I must work by evening, so not too much time for more, just some iron on both semiwings and opening the cutoout for the servo bays cutting and ironing the overlap inside the servo area.
Also there is a line of exposed wood area near the trailing edge on the center. A little strip of white covering for a more neat look...
A beautiful kit with a high quality standard, as usual on PA, I´m going to do some little mods, on the hardware that it is not neccesary at all, just for personal preferences, and maybe some custom finish inside the canopy and nose art....
Manolo...
ultimatetwo is offline Find More Posts by ultimatetwo
Old Jan 06, 2012, 06:44 AM
It's All About Having Fun!
Joined Jul 2008
336 Posts
Always looking forward to your art and handiwork Manolo
The Hitman is offline Find More Posts by The Hitman
Old Jan 06, 2012, 09:07 AM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Nov 2008
14,280 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ultimatetwo View Post
...and maybe some custom finish inside the canopy and nose art....
I would expect nothing less from you! I cannot wait to see what you come up with inside this canopy lots of room to work with!
bsbauman is offline Find More Posts by bsbauman
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My New Workshop
Old Jan 06, 2012, 09:54 AM
Panama
Joined Jul 2005
3,463 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ultimatetwo View Post
Hi buddies, at last Three Kings Day arrived, I just openened the box and checked for everything, all was OK, and inmediatly begin the construction. One of the first thing was checking by myself the fit of the Axis motor to the firewall mounting holes. It was perfect, like were designed for this engine too, also you must removed the C clip, but I think that even it is not neccesary to remove some balsa material from the reinforcement inside triangles, cause Axi motor are sharper on this area than T-40..., good news also...
After that today I must work by evening, so not too much time for more, just some iron on both semiwings and opening the cutoout for the servo bays cutting and ironing the overlap inside the servo area.
Also there is a line of exposed wood area near the trailing edge on the center. A little strip of white covering for a more neat look...
A beautiful kit with a high quality standard, as usual on PA, I´m going to do some little mods, on the hardware that it is not neccesary at all, just for personal preferences, and maybe some custom finish inside the canopy and nose art....
Manolo...
Awesome pics Manolo!!!! keep us updated
aerofundan is offline Find More Posts by aerofundan
Site Sponsor
Old Jan 07, 2012, 12:13 AM
Paul
Tasmania, Australia
Joined Nov 2008
525 Posts
Bandit canopy fault

Hi Guys
I maidened the bandit at the club on Saturday, Boy!!! it is one direct plane you point it and it goes in that direction, I had to land because the canopy blew off and after lookimg for ages I found it,
I gave the TX to the club’s best 3D pilot and he was doing all 3D stuff with the bandit until the canopy blew off again.
At the club we have PA Extras and PA Katanas and none of these canopies come off and we all agree this is a Manufacturing fault because of the amount of air that blows into the canopy from the motor and air intakes cause the magnets to let go.
• We checked cowl is overlapping the firewall by 2-3 mm.
• The magnets are clean.
• Magnets are fully contacting.
I shouldn’t have to tape the canopy in place which will cause the covering to pull off.
PA needs to come up with a fix because I am not the only one that has mentioned this fault.
I am going to contact PA to come up with a fix. If the other canopy fault bandit owners contact PA and PA do come up with a fix it will only make the bandit a better plane.
Regards Paul
spirroau is offline Find More Posts by spirroau
Old Jan 07, 2012, 12:40 AM
Australia, QLD, Ipswich
Joined Sep 2008
1,250 Posts
Are your magnets on the fuselage recessed slightly? I imagine they probably shouldn't be recessed as you want the magnets as close to touching as possible to acheive maximum holding strength. I'm going to try lifting my magnets out slightly, but i'll put a tether on the new canopy when it shows up. Failing that working I'll source some stronger magnets or just use 1 or 2 of these latches, http://www.concepthobbies.com/shop/5760.html .
luke352 is online now Find More Posts by luke352
Old Jan 07, 2012, 02:15 PM
Fly to live- Live to fly
ROTA-CADIZ-SPAIN
Joined Jan 2008
1,014 Posts
Tx buddies for your nice words. Just to share I just opened a new blog-thread of my personal Bandit set-up on acro3d.com, a nice 3D and extreme aerobatics spanish talked forum. Maybe that will be interesting as more addicional info to the suplied instructions. Changes on the harware screws and nuts are personal prefferences only.
Humm, about the canopy loss it would be interesting know if that happens more often, I supose that you, Spirroau, of course, opened the inner air exit hole on the rear side of the fuse, to let de airflow get out...
Anyway, I´m on time to add a couple magnets more...

Here is the link.
http://www.acro3d.com/public/phpbb3/...p=89084#p89084
Old Jan 07, 2012, 11:30 PM
Paul
Tasmania, Australia
Joined Nov 2008
525 Posts
I supose that you, Spirroau, of course, opened the inner air exit hole on the rear side of the fuse, to let de airflow get out...
Anyway, I´m on time to add a couple magnets more...

Who feels stupid now ?, thanks Ultimatetwo, have cut "air exit" and will retest. Thanks again
Old Jan 08, 2012, 01:37 PM
Fly to live- Live to fly
ROTA-CADIZ-SPAIN
Joined Jan 2008
1,014 Posts
No problemo, you´re welcome anytime, buddy.... Let´s see what happen with that hole opened....
Manolo.
Old Jan 08, 2012, 03:49 PM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Nov 2008
14,280 Posts
Great pics Ultimate, I cant wait to see your finished product
bsbauman is offline Find More Posts by bsbauman
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My New Workshop
Old Jan 09, 2012, 02:10 PM
Fly to live- Live to fly
ROTA-CADIZ-SPAIN
Joined Jan 2008
1,014 Posts
[QUOTE=bsbauman;20360852]Great pics...
Tx buddy, I´m a lazy modeller , but litle by little....
I preffer to enjoy also during the set-up; ( not able to say " building time "), and take my time on add those little personals touch, like some shrink black tube over the two nuts on the wheels axles, to a better look when flying without pants, or continue the black decorations rays inside the hinge stab-elevator area...and so on...
Even being a slow builder, this bird goes ( for me ... ), to light speed compared with scale warbirds that like to do from time to time.....
This bird if so beautiful even on the ground, that I want to do the best of my own...
Old Jan 09, 2012, 06:53 PM
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Sep 2011
29 Posts
Seems others are having problems with the hatch coming off during flight. Rather than trying to move the magnets to remove the gap i have put two thin metal washers on top of the magnets to extend them (make sure they are steel washers as some arent and arent attracted by the magnet). Just put the washers there and test the gap, if its correct dab a small drop of expoxy in the middle of the washer hole to hold it there. Worked for me so far and was an easy fix.
roooost is offline Find More Posts by roooost
Old Jan 10, 2012, 01:53 AM
Paul
Tasmania, Australia
Joined Nov 2008
525 Posts
Well done Manolo on your build keep it coming, I like the “shrink black tube” on the wheels
Roooost your fix could be better than mine, my canopy came off again.
I have done some testing to see what force was required to remove the canopy.
To pull the canopy off without the motor running it takes 48 grams of force, with the motor at full power it only takes 25 grams of force to pop off. Cut “air cooling exit” and it takes 27 grams.
I have added another magnet and now it takes 96 grams of force to remove without the motor running hope this will fix the problem.
Cheers Paul
Old Jan 10, 2012, 03:28 AM
Australia, QLD, Ipswich
Joined Sep 2008
1,250 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by spirroau View Post
Well done Manolo on your build keep it coming, I like the “shrink black tube” on the wheels
Roooost your fix could be better than mine, my canopy came off again.
I have done some testing to see what force was required to remove the canopy.
To pull the canopy off without the motor running it takes 48 grams of force, with the motor at full power it only takes 25 grams of force to pop off. Cut “air cooling exit” and it takes 27 grams.
I have added another magnet and now it takes 96 grams of force to remove without the motor running hope this will fix the problem.
Cheers Paul
That doesn't seem like much effort, I'm guessing they must be pretty low strength magnets. As aussie magnets have some 8mm x 5mm (the PA rear ones are 8mm x 3mm I think) that have a pull strength of 2.1kg. If mine pops off again, i'll order that sample pack and swap out the PA ones for the Aussie magnets ones.

Although I'll also try the washer trick mentioned by roooost!
luke352 is online now Find More Posts by luke352