Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jun 14, 2011, 01:09 PM
San Jose, CA
Joined Jun 2006
5,453 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by efflux RC View Post
We have them in stock. Just not on the website yet. pm me if anyone is interested.
I'll check on how they fit, or what needs to be done to get them in there later today.
It won't fit.
Tamjets is offline Find More Posts by Tamjets
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 14, 2011, 01:25 PM
United States, CA, Santa Clarita
Joined Aug 2009
8,563 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamjets View Post
It won't fit.
Probably too thick for the wing huh?

Time to go back to the good ole. Springair 602 pneumatics.
efflux RC is offline Find More Posts by efflux RC
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Updated blog Jan 2014
Old Jun 14, 2011, 02:44 PM
Canada, ON, Hamilton
Joined May 2011
4,002 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeMamma View Post
I'm still seeing a lot of talk about failing retracts and the wood retract mountings........I'm wondering why ?

If you make perfect landings, the EFlites (with or without the TAM's struts) will work great........but make just one less than perfect landing, especially on grass..............

I still don't understand why EFlite would choose to use their 15-25 size light-duty retracts and the very light-duty wood retract mounting. The 15-25 size is only good for a MAXIMUM weight of about 7 pounds ?? It seems that most of the Habu's are coming out at over 7 pounds.

Was this EFlite decision made just to keep overall weight to a minimum ?

I'm still planning on using the 60-120 EFlites for my own Habu. They are good for up to 15 pounds.

I'm curently using three different sets now on a Hangar 9 Phoenix 7 (about the same weight as the Habu), an EFlite Deuces Wild and a TopFlite P-51. So far they have been problem free and very dependable, even after having a number of less than perfect landings.

The Habu will require pulling off the lower wing sheeting and some additional redesign and fabrication on my part, but not too difficult a task. The only problem will be a little extra weight, but they should be very dependable.

Maybe I missed it, but I've read this entire thread and don't remember seeing any pictures of any other retracts besides the light-duty EFlites ? Has anyone added any stronger retracts ? Any pictures ?

When I convert mine I promise to take a lot of pictures..........just need to get off of my butt and get started. Hey.......wait a minute.......this is summertime here in Michigan......summertimes for flying, not building !

Joe M.
The 60-120 will not fit into the Habu!! They are 44mm x 38mm...The mounting pad on the Habu is 35mmx31mm... Good Luck on that one..http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...#quickOverview
ZACATTACK is offline Find More Posts by ZACATTACK
Old Jun 14, 2011, 02:58 PM
San Jose, CA
Joined Jun 2006
5,453 Posts
Bad news...I just place order for E-Flite 15-25 retract.
But out of stock till mid July.
That mean I had put together my Mini retract package for the Habu 32.
Tamjets is offline Find More Posts by Tamjets
Old Jun 14, 2011, 03:06 PM
Renegade Fun Forever!!
Fontana, California, United States
Joined Jul 2004
27,289 Posts
Those are better and bullet proof anyway.
rvincent is online now Find More Posts by rvincent
Old Jun 14, 2011, 07:22 PM
Got Brushless?
Sacramento
Joined Sep 2007
310 Posts
I've had some rough landings on the stock retracts without any problems. About 20 flights in so far. Two landings were the embarrassing hopping down the runway. Even scraped the stabs up a little on one of those bad landings. Everything is still holding up.

Tam: Do you still have your strut upgrade kits in stock?
Friedclutch is offline Find More Posts by Friedclutch
Old Jun 14, 2011, 07:57 PM
Joined Aug 2006
64 Posts
After building my son's Habu I am now building mine and notice that the wood blocks in the rudder were loose. These planes are being mass produce and we need to make sure we check these items. I wonder if this could be the cause of some of the crashes reported. I know most of us do check but Im sure there are those that just slap it together as well.
rcjets12 is offline Find More Posts by rcjets12
Old Jun 14, 2011, 08:52 PM
Chandler, AZ
Joined Nov 2008
544 Posts
My rudder blocks also popped out.
balistc1000 is offline Find More Posts by balistc1000
Old Jun 14, 2011, 09:20 PM
San Diego
Joined Jul 2009
2,236 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcjets12 View Post
After building my son's Habu I am now building mine and notice that the wood blocks in the rudder were loose. These planes are being mass produce and we need to make sure we check these items. I wonder if this could be the cause of some of the crashes reported. I know most of us do check but Im sure there are those that just slap it together as well.
Good call! A loose rudder is recoverable but a lust aileron might be a different
Story!
bri6672 is offline Find More Posts by bri6672
Old Jun 14, 2011, 09:33 PM
Joined Nov 2005
1,883 Posts
My second Habu's rudder servo mount blocks also popped out during installation. I glued them in good. Everyone should inspect theirs. Also check your point hinges on the rudder. My first Habu had a loose point hinge, but it did not impact anything. This is just part of a standard ARF inspection. Pull on joints and inspect them as things can come loose.

These are nits in my opinion, and this is still the best overall quality ARF I have ever seen.
tclaridge is offline Find More Posts by tclaridge
Old Jun 14, 2011, 09:45 PM
Canada, ON, Hamilton
Joined May 2011
4,002 Posts
These are kits in my opinion, and this is still the best overall quality ARF I have ever seen.(Quote)

Now that's a far fetched statement if I ever seen one..E-Flite has just climbed into quality race with BVM and TamJets??? That's Funny!! I seen Jets made by Tam and Violett and there is no comparison Sir!! Absolutely not even close!!Take a look at some of these Babies!!! http://www.bvmjets.com/ Stunning...
Last edited by ZACATTACK; Jun 14, 2011 at 10:07 PM.
Old Jun 14, 2011, 09:49 PM
Joined Nov 2005
1,883 Posts
ZAC, fair enough, but I did qualify "that I have ever seen" and I have not seen a BVM or Tam kit. As I move up in jets, these sound like good candidates.
tclaridge is offline Find More Posts by tclaridge
Old Jun 14, 2011, 10:30 PM
Canada, ON, Hamilton
Joined May 2011
4,002 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tclaridge View Post
ZAC, fair enough, but I did qualify "that I have ever seen" and I have not seen a BVM or Tam kit. As I move up in jets, these sound like good candidates.
I love my Habu aswell, best bang for the buck...I think?? Mines starting to add up now!! TJ80,Tam-Struts..etc.. !! I get scared even entering that site!! $6000 for an engine?? Come-On!! None of my buddies are shopping there!!
Old Jun 14, 2011, 10:31 PM
Lenox Twp., Michigan
Joined Oct 2004
708 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZACATTACK View Post
The 60-120 will not fit into the Habu!! They are 44mm x 38mm...The mounting pad on the Habu is 35mmx31mm... Good Luck on that one..
ZAC..........apparently you and some of the other fellahs didn't read or didn't comprehend my post #3051.

I am well aware the 60-120's EFlites' are not a drop in ! I did say in post #3051 that this conversion would require a little work. Pulling off some balsa wing sheeting is no big deal. Fabricating up a set of new, beefy retract rails for each wing is also no big deal. It will certainly beat the frail, tiny wood blocks in each wing. The nose gear should be a fairly easy conversion.

Also, although they are metal, the 25-46's EFlites' are also not a drop in for the Habu. I am well aware of this.

I stopped my local hobby shop today and picked up a set of 60-120's to use in my Hangar 9 Jackal, and also to get some measurements for potential useage in my Habu. I also picked up a set of 25-46's EFlites' to get some measurements for potential useage in my Habu.

Now I have both sets..........until I do some measuring I won't know which set will work the easiest in the Habu. All I know is I don't want to use the frail, plastic, spindly 15-25 size EFlites' in an (almost) 8 pound plane !

Again, I'm not afraid of a little fabrication work........retired and got plenty of time. I don't even know if I'll have my Habu done this year ?? I also don't mind a little weight gain. Maybe she won't do 200mph with the added weight, but at least my retracts will be very reliable.

Jeeeesh.......all of this talk just for retracts and I still haven't even decided on my power system. Hey......maybe I'll just eliminate the landing gear all together and just use my bungy launcher.

Stay tuned !

Joe M.
JoeMamma is offline Find More Posts by JoeMamma
Old Jun 14, 2011, 10:58 PM
I tell her RC is cheap !
Quebec, Canada
Joined Sep 2006
12,310 Posts
I'm sure Joemamma will have a sweet Habu, having seen what he did with his H-9 twin otter.

I just finished installing the retracts in the wings (yes I got the wimpsy plastic ones...) and used the stock screws with success. I did enlarge the holes a little and used the liquid soap trick, worked real nice.

When working on the wings, the slightest thing on the table surface will mark the wing surface, so be carefull. I did use a piece of foam that was in the box for packaging, but it is still easy to mark the wings.
carguy1994ca is offline Find More Posts by carguy1994ca
RCG Plus Member