Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Mar 30, 2012, 09:52 AM
BANG IT!!!
United States, PA, Bellefonte
Joined Dec 2007
12,162 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brathanke View Post
Ahhhg... you guys are probly right. I'll probly just make something work how it is right now.

The other suggestion I got from the slick thread was to add a bunch of plywood strips to the inside of the bottom of the motor box until they are like an inch thick. Epoxy them really well and then sand out a spot to accomodate the muffler moving back 1/2" or so. Moving it that much would still leave the carb on the outside of the motor box. What do you guys think of that?
That would work, it will be more work, if you <heaven forbid> ever knock the motor box and have to change it, more work. I personally would rather keep the carb at the correct stand off distance and not get the muffler back against more wood.Flying performace first, looks second?
DaOldGuy is offline Find More Posts by DaOldGuy
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 30, 2012, 10:08 AM
United States, MI, Houghton
Joined Jan 2005
5,089 Posts
I've got the winning tickets in my wallet,don't waste your time....I too will share
snowman is offline Find More Posts by snowman
Old Mar 30, 2012, 10:35 AM
BANG IT!!!
Joined Dec 2007
12,162 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowman View Post
I've got the winning tickets in my wallet,don't waste your time....I too will share
I good friend posted this on FB at like 3 am, I have to give her credit for her statisics

"to put things into perspective on winning the regular lottery:

"Now nobody really wants to die from flesh eating bacteria, and with odds at about 1 million to 1, the chances that you will die that way are pretty slim. Then again, you are 18 to 120 times more likely to die this way than to win the lottery.

What are the chances that if you're playing with a group of four that two of you will get a hole-in-one on the exact same hole? At 17 million to 1, they're better than the chances of you winning the lottery.

What about dying from a snake bite or bee sting? It probably isn't a way that you have imagined that you would leave the earth. You're a whopping 180 to 1,200 times more likely to die from one of these incidents than win the lottery. That's because the probability of dying from a snake bite or bee sting is about 100,000 to 1.

Now I know that you are not a bad person and you don't imagine finding yourself on death row for a crime you committed anytime soon. Still, it's a lot more likely that you will be legally executed than win the lottery. In fact, you are 30,000% to 200,000% more likely to die in a legal execution than to win the lottery.

Or If I told you that you were 450,000 to 3,000,000 times more likely to die in an asteroid collision in the year 2029 than to win the lottery, what would you think? Well, these are in fact the odds according to this report at space.com.

If none of the above has convinced you to stop playing the lottery, then I'll bring out my favorite lottery fact. If you drive 10 miles to purchase your lottery ticket, it's three to twenty times more likely for you to be killed in a car accident along the way than to win the jackpot."

odds of winning mega millions: 1 in 176 million"
Old Mar 30, 2012, 10:43 AM
United States, MI, Houghton
Joined Jan 2005
5,089 Posts
All true, but without a ticket ya get nada!
snowman is offline Find More Posts by snowman
Old Mar 30, 2012, 11:28 AM
Walk of Shame Season :)
NY
Joined Jun 2008
4,834 Posts
Yes Nate I would leave it where it is and see how it performs for you first, you can always go back in there and start setting it up better for your flying style but I usually go with what is there then modify as I see needed.

Yup I never play the Lottery, once in a while I guess, but not even close to monthly, but you never know when those numbers are going to come out I've done research on my picked numbers and they have never come out lol so I have saved a fortune in 27 years when I first started playing and thought Hmmm I need to pick some new numbers. but then for sure my old numbers would hit lol
Waldopepperaxe is offline Find More Posts by Waldopepperaxe
Old Mar 30, 2012, 11:57 AM
United States, IL, Crystal Lake
Joined Jan 2009
5,434 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brathanke View Post
We were talking last night about a little issue with the 70mm standoffs that came with the motor. Right now the prop is sticking out of the cowl almost an inch. He said I could get 60mm standoffs before the carb starts to want to hit wood and putting the carb through the firewall is not an option for me. So anyway he decided to put it together to get a visual of how it looks and found that if we went with any shorter standoffs we'd have issues with the muffler. You can see that in the pics. too bad the cowl isn't just a little bigger haha. Oh well I don't think it's going to look too bad.

Anyone got any ideas on a mod that would cover up some of that gap or do you think it's worth worrying about?
Nate, it will work just fine even with a large gap. I decided that I would reduce the gap on my Su-26 when I was building it last year.

Here is a link to the build thread, and the mods I made to cut a hole in the firewall. K50 did the same thing on his green machine, I believe.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=10374977&key=

It really wasn't that big of a deal. But in your case with the rear-mounted muffler, you have that to deal with as well. In your case it wouldn't be simply a matter of cutting the hole for the carb, you'd have to mod the bottom of the motor box for the muffler to fit.
SnowDog1974 is offline Find More Posts by SnowDog1974
Old Mar 30, 2012, 12:30 PM
Do Da Dippidy
Joined Jun 2008
7,305 Posts
It's best to have a bit of a gap between the prop and the cowl, having said that, you have a bit too much. I think the best way to deal with it is exactly what Chris said, relocate and repin the firewall. It's probably not just the right way to do it, but probably the easiest in the long run. I would probably do a mock up as is, with everything taped into place, for a CG check before I did anything though. You should start there. And as DOG said, put performance over appearance always!
Keep us posted Nate!!
plowboy1966 is offline Find More Posts by plowboy1966
Old Mar 30, 2012, 01:47 PM
Do Da Dippidy
Joined Jun 2008
7,305 Posts
47 just arrived!! Pushrods look flimsy, definitely will not take hard flying. Who has one of these?
Old Mar 30, 2012, 01:52 PM
BANG IT!!!
Joined Dec 2007
12,162 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by plowboy1966 View Post
47 just arrived!! Pushrods look flimsy, definitely will not take hard flying. Who has one of these?
We have 2 club members and 1 from another club. They are fairly rough on them. Let me know if you need any questions answered, I can hook you up with contacts.
Old Mar 30, 2012, 02:06 PM
Do Da Dippidy
Joined Jun 2008
7,305 Posts
Thanks! I was just wondering what the correct position for a 55ax is. I know a Saito 82 is mounted to the rear of the rails and a two stroke farther out. I'll probably just center it and work with that. I need to come up with some hardware too. I haven't looked at the horns yet, so I should probably start there. What are you running on your slabs for rods and links?
Old Mar 30, 2012, 02:10 PM
Joined Jan 2009
5,434 Posts
Quote:
If you are talking about the 3DHS 47" Extra SHP, I have one! I love it...it may look flimsy, but it is built tough. If you have the V4 with the airfoiled tail surfaces, it is even stronger than mine (I have a v2). These things can take a beating and still fly great. They are built light, but I have flown mine in 15+mph winds! They WILL take hard flying...flat spins, blenders, KE spins, you name it, it can handle it!
Old Mar 30, 2012, 02:14 PM
Joined Jan 2009
5,434 Posts
I was just out flying my 34" EPP Edge...so much fun! Even with winds 5-10 this plane did great! Did lots of hovers and harriers and some of my lowest inverted flight ever...even did some decent KE passes.

Thought I'd share these photos with you...can't beat the background!
We're leaving for home tonight...will miss the view.
Old Mar 30, 2012, 02:15 PM
Do Da Dippidy
Joined Jun 2008
7,305 Posts
Sorry Snowdog, I meant Sabre 47 (profile). Stupid iPhone!! Lol
Old Mar 30, 2012, 02:16 PM
BANG IT!!!
Joined Dec 2007
12,162 Posts
Quote:
Thanks! I was just wondering what the correct position for a 55ax is. I know a Saito 82 is mounted to the rear of the rails and a two stroke farther out. I'll probably just center it and work with that. I need to come up with some hardware too. I haven't looked at the horns yet, so I should probably start there. What are you running on your slabs for rods and links?
My 48 Wild tiger is a super light and max motor size is a OS36.

The primos in the club are running 46
we have 2 tributes, one is going to have a 40, the other had the 36 and now has an OS 55.

I will find out from Jon has a OS 55ax on his, I will check the location

Rods are normally 2/56 I think
Old Mar 30, 2012, 02:20 PM
Joined Jan 2009
5,434 Posts
Quote:
Sorry Snowdog, I meant Sabre 47 (profile). Stupid iPhone!! Lol
ha ha that's ok...I remember you talking about that Sabre, but that was a page or more back, so I lost context!

Don't have one of those, but Value Hobbies sells 'em. Let us know how it works out!

is this the one you have?

http://www.valuehobby.com/airplanes/...dy-to-fly.html