New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 30, 2011, 04:18 PM
Find More Posts by Tengler
Manassas, Virginia
Joined Aug 2004
77 Posts
Question
Great Planes Sequence F3A

Is anybody out there flying this plane with heavier batteries than the 8.4 oz 2200 mAh 4 cell that was used in the original review set-up?

There's a lot of packs out there that are at least 2 oz heavier but much cheaper, but would this affect the handling too adversely?

Also, wouldn't it be better to have more that 2200 mAhs for this size motor?

Thanks for any input, and how do you like this plane overall?
Tengler is offline Find More Posts by Tengler
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 30, 2011, 05:56 PM
Find More Posts by danamania
Advocating for RC Aviation
USA, NJ, Phillipsburg
Joined Jul 2010
1,390 Posts
I love this plane. It was my second purchase after a trainer getting back into the hobby a year ago. Still fly it when I want to practice stuff lower than I am willing with my larger airframes. I did try the 2500 Flightpowers and 2650 Nano Techs that I have for other similar sized planes but found that the upline was lacking and it just wasnt worth the extra minute or so. After extensive trial and error, just like flying it better with 2200's. Dana
danamania is offline Find More Posts by danamania
Old Mar 30, 2011, 07:03 PM
Find More Posts by TonyF
SoCal
Joined Feb 2004
454 Posts
I fly mine regularly with either a 4S 3300 or 4000 packs. No problem with the weight. But I am running a Neu geared inrunner motor with a ton of power.

I love the model. It flies so close to my 2-meters that I have used it in several rounds in Masters at local meets.
TonyF is offline Find More Posts by TonyF
Old Mar 30, 2011, 07:10 PM
USA, NJ, Phillipsburg
Joined Jul 2010
1,390 Posts
Awesome! Maybe I should give my Sequence an upgrade? New to geared motors so any details would be interesting.
Old Mar 30, 2011, 09:08 PM
Find More Posts by Tim2
Devon, Alberta
Joined Apr 2003
200 Posts
I've been flying this plane on 4s 3000. Handles the weight fine and actually easier to fly in wind.

Love flying the plane, gets lots of looks. The biggest weak spot on the plane is the landing gear setup. It needs to be reinforced.

Tim
Tim2 is offline Find More Posts by Tim2
Old Mar 30, 2011, 10:45 PM
Find More Posts by TonyF
SoCal
Joined Feb 2004
454 Posts
The motor is a Neu 1105/1.5Y/5.2GB. The website is http://www.neumotors.com. I don't know if they have it listed on the website but a phone call should get you going. It's not the low cost option but it flies the model like you wouldn't believe. I have a 16x8 on it now. The vertical is outstanding and the downline braking makes it feel like my 2-meter planes. Really a great upgrade.

If you do get one, you'll have to modify the motor mount. I ended up taking everything off from the front bulkhead forward and making an all new front end. The motor has to have a rear support or it will vibrate badly. Once that is done, it's smooth as silk. I have about 75 flights on mine and I have done nothing to the gearbox. When I get a chance I'll take some pics of the current motor mount.
Old Apr 06, 2011, 01:06 AM
Find More Posts by MICKEL
C.H.E.A.P.
Chino Hills, CA
Joined Jan 2005
1,788 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyF View Post
I have a 16x8 on it now...
Holy shiznit! My 12x6 and I: we're not worthy!!!

I fly the 30c 4s 2250s and they're a bit heavier; with no issues.

One of the best (if not the) in its class.... for my style of flying.
MICKEL is offline Find More Posts by MICKEL
Old Apr 09, 2011, 08:38 AM
Find More Posts by hook57
United States, IL, North Aurora
Joined Sep 2009
715 Posts
Hi All,
Plan to maiden my Sequence this week (now that I've got the "wrinkles" ironed out)! Installed a Power 32, 60A ESC, 12x6 E-prop, and using 4s 3200 mah battery. You guys feel that will work out okay? Set up with recommended throws, except rudder is about 3/8" less (lack of throw due to pull-pull tubes). Any ideas/suggestions on beefing up the gear area? I added some epoxy and planned to add 1/8" top plate over the gear legs in mounting bay area. Thanks in advance guys.
hook
hook57 is offline Find More Posts by hook57
Old Apr 09, 2011, 09:07 AM
USA, NJ, Phillipsburg
Joined Jul 2010
1,390 Posts
My sequence was my first aerobat after a trainer last year; I've trashed and repaired the gear so many times it is now nothing like the original design! I don't recommend maidening it without first doing something (or a few things) to reinforce the gear area. Good idea to get that out of the way so your final CG is where you want it with the added weight. Good Flying! Dana
Old Apr 09, 2011, 09:41 AM
Find More Posts by Mr. Wiz
Time for me to Fly...
United States, MI, Fenton
Joined Jan 2000
9,064 Posts
Reinforcing the LG area seems to be a theme of an awful lot of ARFs. I can't understand why that's such a problem.....
Mr. Wiz is offline Find More Posts by Mr. Wiz
Old Apr 09, 2011, 11:31 AM
Find More Posts by MICKEL
C.H.E.A.P.
Chino Hills, CA
Joined Jan 2005
1,788 Posts
My gear has held up fine.... and everyone knows my landings aren't as smooth as silk!

Hook: I think your power system will be fine. As for the pull-pull tubes, I think I cut them back to get more throw. Not that the plane needs it, but I have been known to torque roll my Sequence.

Have fun!
MICKEL is offline Find More Posts by MICKEL
Old Apr 09, 2011, 09:29 PM
Joined Sep 2009
715 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MICKEL View Post
My gear has held up fine.... and everyone knows my landings aren't as smooth as silk!

Hook: I think your power system will be fine. As for the pull-pull tubes, I think I cut them back to get more throw. Not that the plane needs it, but I have been known to torque roll my Sequence.

Have fun!
Thanks Mick,
I did cut the tubes back to the balsa brace, but I read (somewhere) after the fact it might not be enough. Still, I have about 1 5/8" on high rate, and it looks like a lot of rudder. I haven't had many ARFs, but I would agree the gear area is a "weak" point. I think I'll go ahead with the additional "top" plate and see what happens. I'm pretty comfortable with my landings (although, on occassion, a few have been quite abrupt!). Thanks guys, keep any other ideas or suggestions coming, appreciate them all.
hook
Old Apr 11, 2011, 10:40 AM
Find More Posts by TonyF
SoCal
Joined Feb 2004
454 Posts
On the Power 32 I think you will be happier with a 13x6.5 APC. the 12x6 is not enough prop. In fact, I wasn't happy flying the Masters pattern with the 13x6.5, but it will be enough for Sportsman and Intermediate.
Old Apr 11, 2011, 12:37 PM
Joined Sep 2009
715 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyF View Post
On the Power 32 I think you will be happier with a 13x6.5 APC. the 12x6 is not enough prop. In fact, I wasn't happy flying the Masters pattern with the 13x6.5, but it will be enough for Sportsman and Intermediate.
Thanks Tony! I'll definately give the 13x6.5 a try then. I did run the motor up doing a static pull check (granted not very scientific, but) and I didn't think the thrust was all that great. I ran the Power 32 motor, 60A esc, and a 12x6 prop in the Diamante and thought the performance was very good; granted the Diamante is smaller/lighter. I'll grab a few 13x6.5s and report back. Thanks again for tips guys (still looking for insight on beefing up the landing gear mods any have done, or not)!
hook
Old Apr 30, 2011, 06:21 PM
Find More Posts by scharck
The Great White
USA, CA, El Cajon
Joined Feb 2005
61 Posts
Good hints from the Sequesnce Build Thread

I built my Sequence about a year ago and found this thread very helpful on hints to correct some of the needed or suggested modifications. As noted here, the landing gear area is one of those. The canopy being held down by magnets was another and the cowl, which is also held on by magnets as another. Here is the build thread link: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...es+sequence+50

Once I got everything worked out, I love flying my Sequence. Oh! BTW, if you are flying off grass, use the larger (21/2 or 3") wheels with the thin spokes. Also fly without the wheel pants.

I hope this helps anyone building this great little aerobatic airplane.

By the way, I have seen Tony F fly his Sequence in the F3A Master Class. It proved to me that if you don't like the way the plane flies, it's probably not the planes fault. You always have to do a little tweaking but that's the case with any plane.
scharck is offline Find More Posts by scharck