Old Oct 25, 2015, 07:40 PM
Find More Posts by Supersam
United States, OH, Millersburg
Joined Oct 2015
57 Posts
Discussion
Evolution Trainer Power System

Hello, I am a new member. I just bought a new Evolution Trainer Power System for my hobbico nexstar. I have not received it yet, but I thought the more experienced guys might have some tips or tricks for me.
Supersam is online now Find More Posts by Supersam
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 26, 2015, 12:40 PM
Find More Posts by hogflyer
Master of the Figure "9"
Wichita, Kansas
Joined Dec 2005
1,888 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supersam View Post
Hello, I am a new member. I just bought a new Evolution Trainer Power System for my hobbico nexstar. I have not received it yet, but I thought the more experienced guys might have some tips or tricks for me.
Its really a good engine. I've had a few of them and they have performed great on the club trainers. Reliable and takes a lot of abuse. It is not broken in and ready to peak out and run wide open out of the box. It does need to be run in for a couple of tanks before flying it.

Pull the limiter pin off the low-end needle and the limiter off the highspeed needle. Once the engine finishes breaking in you'll have to reset both and with the limiters in place you'll most likely not be able to properly tune it. The tell take that this happens is the engine will suddenly be out of tune and not run right. Just reset the needles and you're good to go. Has happened to every one I've had, but the number of flights varied. You can also take the flywheel off the the hub. You can't get the spinner the NextStar came with (or just about any aftermarket spinner for that matter) to fit with it on. If you leave it on (doesn't hurt anything and won't matter with how the engine runs) then go with a safety nun for a spinner.

Make sure you add a couple of ounces of a good castor oil to fuel (I use Morgans Omega and add 2 - 3 oz of Sig castor to every gallon of fuel I use) and you'll get a lot of use from it. I've had very good luck and lots of longevity with Morgans Omega fuel doing this. Run it in with a couple of tanks of fuel going from sloppy rich for about 20 seconds to peaking it out for about 5 seconds. Let cool about 30 min between runs to fully cool down. This will thermal cycle the engine and properly wear in the con rod bushings. Despite what the manufactuer says, it's not ready to lean out the start flying right out of the box.

For your NextStar I'd recommend stayign with the Hobbico NextStar prop. it's an 11 x 5 and works very well with the engine. That's the prop I've always use with the PTS engine after trying several different props. Also run the engine about 4 clicks rich of peak.

Hogflyer
hogflyer is offline Find More Posts by hogflyer
Old Oct 26, 2015, 08:26 PM
Find More Posts by Mad_Mike
Flight risk
Canada, ON, Mallorytown
Joined Feb 2015
610 Posts
I have that engine too.
No info for you Sam but I have questions for hogflyer.

What is the purpose of the flywheel?
How does the engine run differently if I cut it off?
Mad_Mike is offline Find More Posts by Mad_Mike
Old Oct 26, 2015, 10:58 PM
Find More Posts by whiskykid
team sleprock
United States, WA, Port Angeles
Joined Dec 2009
4,220 Posts
don't know bout Hog, but it livened mine right up, better throttle response don't ya know!

and now run 11x6 prop, will make my ol Arrow trainer flutter! hafta stay under 3/4 throttle!
whiskykid is offline Find More Posts by whiskykid
Old Oct 27, 2015, 09:19 PM
Joined Oct 2015
57 Posts
Thank You for your help. Does any one else have any other tips or tricks
Old Oct 28, 2015, 09:43 AM
Find More Posts by jetmech05
Jacksonville Fla.
Joined Mar 2007
2,588 Posts
I can't share the enthusiasm the other members do on this engine, or the Nextstar.
I do agree with removing the limiting pin and the fly wheel.
I truly wish you the best of luck
jetmech05 is offline Find More Posts by jetmech05
Old Oct 28, 2015, 12:09 PM
Master of the Figure "9"
Wichita, Kansas
Joined Dec 2005
1,888 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad_Mike View Post
I have that engine too.
No info for you Sam but I have questions for hogflyer.

What is the purpose of the flywheel?
How does the engine run differently if I cut it off?
In theory, the purpose for the flywheel is to help the engine with a smooth idle and easier starting. It was designed to work with a 10 X 5 3-blade prop (which actually worked on the Alpha 40, but not on the PTS Mustang or PTS F-22). It really should be removed unless you need to add nose weight or the plane balances fine without adding any tail weight. The slightly heavier NextStar prop (with the red tips) performs essentially the same funtion as it's heavier than and APC, but the tradeoff is you have an incredible tough prop that will take prop strikes (much like a Master Air Screw will) and keep on going where an APC will break.

Hogflyer
Old Oct 28, 2015, 12:12 PM
Master of the Figure "9"
Wichita, Kansas
Joined Dec 2005
1,888 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiskykid View Post
don't know bout Hog, but it livened mine right up, better throttle response don't ya know!

and now run 11x6 prop, will make my ol Arrow trainer flutter! hafta stay under 3/4 throttle!
I've flown them on sport planes with a 10x7 and 11x6. It'll run right up there with the rest of them. Overall my experience has been very positive. On my around 7lb Avistar 46 Elite it'll pull it around a 400' loop all day long, one after another until it runs out of fuel. I haven't tried a Macs muffler, but have heard it works pretty good on it.

Hogflyer
Old Oct 28, 2015, 12:48 PM
Find More Posts by Mad_Mike
Flight risk
Canada, ON, Mallorytown
Joined Feb 2015
610 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hogflyer View Post
In theory, the purpose for the flywheel is to help the engine with a smooth idle and easier starting. It was designed to work with a 10 X 5 3-blade prop (which actually worked on the Alpha 40, but not on the PTS Mustang or PTS F-22). It really should be removed unless you need to add nose weight or the plane balances fine without adding any tail weight. The slightly heavier NextStar prop (with the red tips) performs essentially the same funtion as it's heavier than and APC, but the tradeoff is you have an incredible tough prop that will take prop strikes (much like a Master Air Screw will) and keep on going where an APC will break.

Hogflyer
Thanks a million Hogflyer.
That's the first explanation I've got!

My Alpha had 90g of lead in the tail when I got it.
During repairs after the crash, I've moved the battery and Elevator servo back and expect it to balance.
If not, the flywheel will come off.
After I get this thing to fly a few times it will come off anyway.
Mad_Mike is offline Find More Posts by Mad_Mike
Old Oct 28, 2015, 03:29 PM
Joined Oct 2015
57 Posts
Wow you are all very helpful. My Evolution engine just arrived and actually came with a prop driver and the flywheel so I can use whichever I prefer!
Old Oct 28, 2015, 04:20 PM
Joined Oct 2015
57 Posts
I started it up and ran it and it ran good. However it has a very hard time transitioning from 10% throttle to 50-100% throttle and almost stalls, I know it is running rich on the low end but the stupid blue collar won't let me lean it out. How do I take off the collar.
Old Oct 28, 2015, 04:30 PM
Joined Oct 2015
57 Posts
Never mind I got it. BTW it was running lean.
Old Oct 28, 2015, 06:34 PM
Master of the Figure "9"
Wichita, Kansas
Joined Dec 2005
1,888 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supersam View Post
I started it up and ran it and it ran good. However it has a very hard time transitioning from 10% throttle to 50-100% throttle and almost stalls, I know it is running rich on the low end but the stupid blue collar won't let me lean it out. How do I take off the collar.
Needs just a bit of low speed needle adjustment. If it's burbling then it's running rich a slightly rich idle. Do the adjustment no more than 1/8 of a turn at a time and when you're close move to 1/16 (or finer) until you have the transition locked in.

For the low speed needle, there is a pin that sticks out - just use small needle nose to pull it off. If you put side pressure on it the pin will break. Just don't ask how I know...

For the high speed, there is a set screw on the blue collar. Loosen the set screw and back the needle out. Remove the collar and put the needle back in.

Tuning problems solved. Then just run a couple of tanks through it and it should be ready to fly. You may want to fly the first flight about 6 clicks rich and go in 1 click for each for the next 2 flights and you'll be good to go.

I also found the Evolution engine seem to run best on the Evolution plugs for some reason, so I just keep a couple of spares. They appear to be good plugs and don't blow out very often.

Hogflyer
Old Oct 28, 2015, 08:13 PM
Joined Oct 2015
57 Posts
Thank you for your help I already put a few tanks through it. I also got it tuned and yanked out the pin. It now runs great and transitions very well
Old Oct 29, 2015, 09:33 AM
Joined Oct 2015
57 Posts
Hi all I am going to go flying today Unfortunately I will not be using the 3 blade propeller, I let my brother taxi it around our drive way and he wrecked in a brick wall So I put on the 2 blade that came with my nexstar. It has more power with just the 2 blade so may be a good thing