RFJ
Find More Posts by RFJ
RFJ
Northern Ireland
Joined Dec 2004
1,979 Posts
Build Log
KK Soarer Baby (2m) for 2015 SOS Build Off

Having just completed my (first) electric scale twin I think I will let the building board cool down for a few days before starting my SOS entry which will be an enlarged (2 metre span), electric powered, REM KK Soarer Baby.

As you can see in this 1947 Aeromodeller ad the model was available in three sizes. I had the 36" (Baby) version as a young kid in the early sixties and thought it was a great little glider; that is until I built a Contest Kits Inchworm and discovered how a FF glider should perform

Ray
RFJ is online now Find More Posts by RFJ
Last edited by RFJ; Jul 18, 2015 at 04:38 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 30, 2015, 08:30 AM
Find More Posts by Sundancer
I like real wooden aeroplanes!
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
5,996 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RFJ View Post
Having just completed my electric scale twin I think I will let the building board cool down for a few days before starting my SOS entry which will be an enlarged (2 metre span), electric powered, REM KK Soarer Baby.

As you can see in this 1947 Aeromodeller ad the model was available in three sizes. I had the 36" version in the late fifties and thought it was a great little glider until I built a Contest Kits Inchworm and discovered how a real glider could perform

Ray
That is a blast from my past too Ray, I'll be watching with interest. Link posted
Sundancer is online now Find More Posts by Sundancer
Old Mar 30, 2015, 12:07 PM
Find More Posts by brokenenglish
Sticks, Tissue & old Diesels
France, Centre, Amboise
Joined Nov 2011
1,958 Posts
Ray, I expect you know your box image is the sixties/seventies KK Wickford box.
Here's the original. Definitely looks more vintage. I love these early KK boxes!
brokenenglish is online now Find More Posts by brokenenglish
Old Mar 31, 2015, 06:57 AM
Find More Posts by Colonel Blink
So I'M meant to be in control?
Ilkley, West Yorkshire, UK
Joined Nov 2008
4,165 Posts
A friend built one in the early 70s, but moved away before it was completed. It was one of those models that I had no particular hankering to build until I saw the plan. Strange how seeing the plan can change one's opinion (in either direction), isn't it?

Ray - Will the power be an outrunner in the nose or a power pod?
Colonel Blink is offline Find More Posts by Colonel Blink
Old Apr 01, 2015, 04:32 AM
RFJ
Find More Posts by RFJ
RFJ
Northern Ireland
Joined Dec 2004
1,979 Posts
Ah yes BE, that's the box style I remember from back when I was building KK kits. My psychedelic sixties style box shot was found in a search for a suitable retro colour scheme to use on my version. Looks like it will be orange- ugh !!!

I'm not a great fan of pylon mounted motors Colonel so I will use a nose mounted outrunner - in fact this one, an MVVS 2.0/1120. A beautiful piece of engineering and my favourite brand of motor. It will probably take a bit of jiggery pokery to preserve something like the design's original nose shape.

Anyway, day one of the SOS build-off so time to start making a kit of parts for the Soarer. Let the fun begin

Ray
Last edited by RFJ; Jul 18, 2015 at 04:39 AM.
Old Apr 02, 2015, 07:07 AM
RFJ
Find More Posts by RFJ
RFJ
Northern Ireland
Joined Dec 2004
1,979 Posts
No I haven't finished the model already - my name isn't Rodrigo

These are a couple of shots of a glider version I made some years go. It was basically a 60" enlargement of the Soarer Baby with the fin shape and tip extensions from the Soarer Major. As a pure flat field, bungee launched thermal soarer it was not the best - wing too small and fuselage too big - but proved to be an excellent light wind slope soarer.

For this build-off I just scaled up my plan a bit more to give a two meter wing span, beefed up the construction a bit to cope with the rigours of slope flying and added an electric motor to avoid the "walk of shame" when the lift disappears. I did draw up a 100" version as well but the fuselage seemed enormous.

Incidentally, I have never seen a plan for the 48" Soarer Minor - anybody have one. I believe Ernie Webster designed the Baby; not sure about the Major and Minor.

Kit production continues with building to start next week.

Ray
Last edited by RFJ; Apr 23, 2015 at 09:53 AM.
Old Apr 03, 2015, 04:50 AM
RFJ
Find More Posts by RFJ
RFJ
Northern Ireland
Joined Dec 2004
1,979 Posts
Kit kutting kontinues. Rib patterns for the tapering Clark Y sections from Profili.

Ray
Old Apr 04, 2015, 05:36 AM
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
5,996 Posts
Nice to see the bits taking shape Ray.

Regarding the Soarer Minor, you are right in that this middle size one is the most difficult of the plans to find. Lots of sources for both the Baby and Major, both are on Outerzone, but not the 48" Minor. However, Derick Scott (www.model-plans.co.uk) does list all three on his plans list, so it is not lost.
Old Apr 07, 2015, 05:25 AM
RFJ
Find More Posts by RFJ
RFJ
Northern Ireland
Joined Dec 2004
1,979 Posts
Tail surface structures completed. All from 1/4" sheet and strip, mylar hinges and the horns cut from fiberglass. Wing next.

As an aside - there was a rather interesting post ( #25) by Mark Powell in the "Vintage Forum - not as I know it" thread. Basically he thinks that build logs are a bit irrelevant as he already knows how to build. This thought has occurred to me in the past as I post my latest efforts.

I am guessing that most people interested in Vintage and Old Timer models are of a certain age and have been building models for many years. These people certainly won't learn anything from my build logs as the methods and materials I use are all tried and tested. So why should I bother "preaching to the choir".

I don't really know the answer. For whatever reason I just enjoy contributing and reading the contributions of others.

Ray
Last edited by RFJ; Apr 18, 2015 at 06:38 AM.
Old Apr 07, 2015, 05:44 AM
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
5,996 Posts
I must say Ray that my first reaction to that post was; "Lucky chap, he has clearly mastered ALL the techniques, hints and tips involved in building models". My second reaction was; "Poor chap, it must be a very boring life when you have nothing left to learn!"

I built my first flying model at the age of six some 67 years ago. It didn't - fly, that is! - nor did the second, third and fourth ones but by the time I was eight they mostly did. In the intervening years I have learnt a lot, but if I thought there was nothing more to learn, nor any possible improvements to the standard of what I produce, then I would probably give up and start some other hobby. Quite apart from the sheer pleasure of watching some very fine builders producing some very fine models, in the last three years I have picked up a lot of new useful tips and wrinkles and been reminded of quite a few I had known and had forgotten.

When you know everything, the only thing left to do is die, so I hope for the sake of Mark's health that he maybe doesn't know QUITE as much as he thinks!
Old Apr 07, 2015, 06:12 AM
RFJ
Find More Posts by RFJ
RFJ
Northern Ireland
Joined Dec 2004
1,979 Posts
Quote:
When you know everything, the only thing left to do is die
Odd thing is George - when I was about 15 I knew everything but as I got older I seemed to know less and less. If this trend continues by the time I die I will know nothing

Ray
Last edited by RFJ; Apr 07, 2015 at 08:38 AM.
Old Apr 07, 2015, 06:38 AM
Find More Posts by Paul_BB
France, IdF, Lagny-sur-Marne
Joined Feb 2007
904 Posts
Quote:
I don't really know the answer. For whatever reason I just enjoy contributing and reading the contributions of others.
When I decide to build (or even to buy a model scuse me), I am happy to find a thread dealing with the subject. There exist no build without a bone to pick, so maybe one day someone will be very happy to find your KK Soarer Baby build log.

Paul
Paul_BB is offline Find More Posts by Paul_BB
Old Apr 07, 2015, 09:02 AM
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
5,996 Posts
Quote:
Odd thing is George - when I was about 15 I knew everything but as I got older I seemed to know less and less. If this trend continues by the time I die I will know nothing

Ray
You are right Ray, all 15 year olds know everything, I know I certainly did! Reminds me of the old saw about learning to drive (or fly R/C, or anything really). You start off not knowing how to do it but not realising how difficult it is - you are UNCONSCIOUSLY INCOMPETENT. Then as you start to learn you realise how bad you are and become CONSCIOUSLY INCOMPETENT. More practice and you can get by but have to think about it all the time, you are CONSCIOUSLY COMPETENT. After a while you can drive without having to think about every action, you have become UNCONSCIOUSLY COMPETENT. Sadly, this doesn't last and after some time when you know it all you become blase and hence end up back where you started - UNCONSCIOUSLY INCOMPETENT.
Old Apr 09, 2015, 04:22 AM
RFJ
Find More Posts by RFJ
RFJ
Northern Ireland
Joined Dec 2004
1,979 Posts
After a break for a short Easter holiday I made a start on the wings. Main change from the original construction is to use a D box leading edge. The full depth spar is laminated from 1/8" spruce and hard balsa with ribs half slotted into it.

Since I have a lot of silver film left over from a recent scale project I think I will use a colour scheme loosely based on the old Air Cadets T21 shown.

Ray
Last edited by RFJ; Jul 18, 2015 at 04:42 AM.
Old Apr 09, 2015, 05:41 AM
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
5,996 Posts
That color scheme should suit the Soarer shape very well Ray.