SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 20, 2015, 07:30 PM
Find More Posts by mtfly
United States, MI, Grand Rapids
Joined Feb 2013
531 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC_planefan View Post
Mr Smoothie is the 7x6 prop the default prop that comes with the plane? I purchased the p-40 motor as you recommended and was going to use the default prop. This is assuming it works with the current hex mount on the motor. I just recieved the motor today and have not had a chance to test it.
I don't think the hex from the p-40 motor fits with the stock zero prop. And options for an exact fit for the p-40 motor are very limited. There is a direct fit from hobbyking I think but you will have to check the p-40 thread as I can not remember right now. But I do remember the props are pretty thin and flimsy but they work. Good luck.

Found them. Here is the link:
https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/...dProduct=27348
mtfly is offline Find More Posts by mtfly
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 20, 2015, 09:12 PM
Find More Posts by MrSmoothie
United States, FL, Gainesville
Joined Jan 2015
171 Posts
Quote:
Mr Smoothie is the 7x6 prop the default prop that comes with the plane? I purchased the p-40 motor as you recommended and was going to use the default prop. This is assuming it works with the current hex mount on the motor.
Unfortunately, the OEM Zero prop has a smaller hex mount than the P-40 motor so it won't work. I have used the APC 7x6SF, and also the GWS 7x6SF and they both work well.

The original P-40 prop has been unavailable for a while, unfortunately.
MrSmoothie is offline Find More Posts by MrSmoothie
Old Jul 21, 2015, 06:09 PM
Find More Posts by RC_planefan
United States, NC, Winston-Salem
Joined Jul 2014
196 Posts
Thanks for information mtfly and MrSmoothie. I went ahead and flew the plane and I really enjoy the way she flies. The motor sticks at the lower power settings so I purchased an EFL6080 motor as a backup for the plane I'm currently flying and went ahead and purchased two addition motors for the two backup Zero's I was able to find all of the parts in order to build two additional planes if needed.

This plane's speed and size is perfect for me and allows me to fly in my backyard and save me a trip to the local flying club.

The fuselage appears to be less fragile than the similar size P-51 280 from Eflite.

Also Horizon Hobby tried to help as well by sending a replacement motor EFLM1150 but I don't believe that motor is compatible with this plane. But I could be wrong. They did tell me I was on my own and they couldn't provide any support if the motor does not work with plane or causes the plane to crash. But I'm very happy with their support and attempt to fix the problem.

Thanks again.
RC_planefan is offline Find More Posts by RC_planefan
Last edited by RC_planefan; Jul 22, 2015 at 01:56 AM.
Old Jul 22, 2015, 08:30 AM
Joined Jan 2015
171 Posts
Quote:
Also Horizon Hobby tried to help as well by sending a replacement motor EFLM1150 but I don't believe that motor is compatible with this plane.
I've seen this motor listed and wondered about it. When you say you don't think it's compatible, in what respect? It's a "park 300" and the Kv is about the same -- are the dimensions different enough to cause a problem? It also has a different mounting bracket in the photos -- 4 screws attaching it to the motor (as usual) but only two screws to mount to the firewall? I wonder if the original bracket (X-shape, 4 screws to firewall) will fit it?
Old Jul 22, 2015, 04:32 PM
Joined Jul 2014
196 Posts
I was referring to the mounting bracket as a drop in fit. Plus I was told it would require a different prop and tech support could not verify how it would fly with that motor.

I was hoping part EFLM1142 could be used to mount the motor in the zero.
Old Jul 22, 2015, 09:34 PM
Joined Jan 2015
171 Posts
Did you try using the original motor's mounting bracket? It seems like the 4 screws (which mount the bracket to the motor) are arranged the same way on the new motor's bracket.

Once you use a collet to mount the prop, you have options. For my money, any 7x6 SF seems to work fine (APC and GWS), but there seem to be plenty of OEM Zero props (the brown ones) available and they work well.
Old Jul 24, 2015, 02:37 PM
Joined Jul 2014
196 Posts
Sorry about the late reply but I believe your correct and the current mount will work for this motor as well.

Thanks again for your help.

Side note - I was surprised to find a local store which had a couple of the stab & elevator parts in stock. So I purchased two and proceeded to buy the other necessary parts to build two new planes when needed. I'm assuming part of the reason the plane didn't sell as well was due to the fact it was used to shoot down our American pilots and some might not care to fly a plane with that history.
Old Jul 24, 2015, 03:28 PM
Joined Jan 2015
171 Posts
From what I can tell, you are lucky to have found two horizontal stabs! I looked all over and found one, and another place that claimed to have them did not. They are never on Ebay (I've kept an eye out for months) and were obviously the weakest link on this airplane. I had the same thought as you -- if I had new stabs, I could always find the other parts and build one -- I did exactly this with the E-flite P-40 300, and have parts for another on the shelf.

I'm just guessing here -- but I think the reason for this plane not selling (eventually) was the price tag of upwards of $200. I just bought a NIB one and that's what the price tag on it says! The market has changed a lot. The 3S P-51 seems to have taken over the place in the market for E-flite. Historically, models of the Zero have always been popular along with other "enemy" fighters, like the BF-109 and FW-190.

I'll be interested in how that other motor (EFLM1150) works out, if you try it -- the size is right and I have a feeling it'll be terrific. I have the "big brother" version (very similar design) Eflite Park 370 (1080) motor in 4 larger models (32-40") and it's a great motor so far; no problems.
Last edited by MrSmoothie; Jul 24, 2015 at 03:36 PM.
Old Aug 02, 2015, 01:15 PM
nom
Find More Posts by nom
nom
United States, ID, Boise
Joined Mar 2011
2,385 Posts
I finally got my bird together and maidened it this morning. This is one great flyer and an easy bird to track with the green on top and white undersides. I did do a few things before I took it out:

* Added magnets to the front of the the cockpit and underside of the canopy since the plastic end hook on my canopy hatch was broken.
* Since the front was already broken I removed the two cylinder shaped weights since I was going to try out some 800mah lipos
* Glued the front part of the plane back on with gorilla glue, had to keep coming back every 5 minutes to take out excess glue.
* Removed the radial exhausts to reduce more weight
* Placed the ESC into the slot on the underside to get more space for the lipo
* Tightened the control horns, the elevator was loose
* Hot glued all the control horns just to make sure they didn't get loose
* Built the canopy bridge with toothpicks and masking tape to do the recommended Rx mount to avoid the need to shave down the aileron rods
* Put in male molex connectors with standard female FUT/JR servo plugs (I had no patience and ripped the stock plugs out)
* Soldered male JST servo plugs to existing servos for easier removal
* Carved out some foam to make room for 800mah lipos
* Used painters tape on lipos to use as a pull tab for easier removal

Alot of work for this bird but in the end after maidening it this morning it was definitely worth the work. I think in part is because it only weighs 190grams and about 240g with the lipo. Some parts are fragile though. The bird is extremely maneuverable, fast for its size, and the 800mah lipos give me about 6-8 minutes of pure fun. I really like this plane! The only con is that I wish the aileron had more travel but that's asking alot out of a single micro servo. I wish it wasn't discontinued and wish I had another one!
nom is offline Find More Posts by nom