New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 07, 2013, 11:01 PM
Find More Posts by Kev71H
San Jose, California, United States
Joined Apr 2002
4,157 Posts
Discussion
HOW to get RC BIKES more POPULAR in USA????

I've been thinking. I am actively trying to make RC BIKES More popular here in the USA and especially in California.

While the last 5 years have really been MUCH better for RC Bike popularity here in the USA, for some reason they still are not enjoying the popularity of RC cars.

We all know some of the "issues" the RC Motorcycles face:
- A bit expensive
-Hard to master (at first)
- Lack of "others" who have them
- Street Bikes need a fairly smooth surface to run on
- A low 1:1 GP or Dirt bike racing following in general.

BUT.......... People are missing out on the REAL GOOD STUFF:
-Super exciting racing
-JUST as exciting practicing with others with their bikes
- Amazing looking to see run
-Learning curve is faster than expected when "learning".
-Carving corners and hitting apexes just right are just plain awesome
- VERY VERY Durable
- Usually attracts the "real good drivers"
-Airplane guys have a definite edge in running RC Motorcycles.
-Wheelies!!! Bringing the front tire up just enough to rocket out of the corner rocks
- Drifting
- WOW factor to others who see them

So................... some of this being said..........

Question: What can we do to make them more popular???

** I think we need to be more active in "pushing" the bikes out there**

**I will soon start "begging" guys here to group up at local RC Car events to show these RC Bikes off.

** I'm trying to link VIDEOS of these awesome machines as much as I can.

ANYONE ELSE have good suggestions???

PLEAAAAASE Post up here and say WHAT YOU think WE ALL can do here in the USA to enjoy the popularity that our overseas friends have!
Kev71H is offline Find More Posts by Kev71H
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 08, 2013, 01:20 AM
Find More Posts by Chris Nicastro
Post Falls, ID United States
Joined Feb 2004
4,485 Posts
Its starts with a company that understands how to design develop and market a product correctly. Once you make a product its not enough to sit back and say well there it is why isnt it selling? The budget that is spent in producing the product is equal to or more than the budget to sell and promote plus further develope the product, you just dont stop at making the product!
Look at HPI. What they are good at is making a platform and then continuing to grow it out for many years with new parts and updates. This keeps the customers engaged and interested with their investment both in time and money on a platform. Car, bike,boat, a platform is any of these.
So the key to success isnt so much the customer base support as much as it is a company that believes in owning this market segment and pumping out products with follow up accessories and support. How many successful companies do you see that make something they dont advertise? Think of something common like Coca Cola or Red Bull they advertise everywhere and promote the hell out of their products. They spend a lot of money to capture customers thats just the way it works.
Right now Id say there are no US companies that can pull this off except maybe Traxxas if they had the interest. The 3 main EU companies are pretty much leading the bike segment.
If Kyosho would release an updated HOR or Tamiya would just get on board with making a new bike these two could really bring this segment to life. Tamiya has all of the MotoGP connections because they already make 1/12 scale plastic models and even a special edition Rossi rider figure. They just have to design a bike and use their licensing contracts which they are paying for anyway to make a very scale bike.
They just dont see the benefit or they lack interest but here is a huge MotoGP following all over the world. Kyosho has been quietly selling there same bike for about 25yrs with no updates. Tamiya has been selling scale model kits for at least as long. Kyosho took the first step with the MiniZ bike but its too small to be practical.

Bottom line, push manufacturers to make a decent bike like HPI, Tamiya, or Traxxas. These companies have the resources to do it right. If they lack the know how to design a bike Ill be happy to design one for any of them. It would be nice to see a large dedicated company to RC race bikes who sees the bigger and longer term picture.
Chris Nicastro is offline Find More Posts by Chris Nicastro
Old Nov 08, 2013, 03:51 AM
Find More Posts by Whitham69
Trowbridge UK
Joined Oct 2006
1,212 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Nicastro View Post
Its starts with a company that understands how to design develop and market a product correctly. .

Bingo...

The companys all make mistakes and shot themselves in the foot somewhere along the line, Take the last few bikes released, 1/8th venom great little bike awsom promotion in the UK but was shipped straight from factory to shop's not to Chris in the US for quality control before release. Jabber rushed out before the worlds forks binding no promotion at all even the designer never wonted to used it, TTsb5 great bike good promotion but but RTR tyres make it unusable by joe public, KP 13/14 good bike no promotion, ZH racing no promotion.

I've not been approached once by any bike maker to put banners or ads up for them in the UK championship.

For me in the UK im looking at promoting the moto5 championship by putting it in model magizeens rc fourms and real motorcycle papers.

In the US you don't have this so it even harder. I would look at backing up Bruce or Dave in the US with a promotion campane for there shop to bring awarness but you don't have the funds coming in from the racing to cover cost.

Dave and Bruce shops seem to me the best bet and try to get to a track regularly for practice and invite people along.
Whitham69 is offline Find More Posts by Whitham69
Old Nov 08, 2013, 06:20 AM
Find More Posts by Whitham69
Trowbridge UK
Joined Oct 2006
1,212 Posts
For your club promote in the local free papers or local daily rag. poster or small ad's in skop's and take away.

Let the locals know there a bike club in town.
Whitham69 is offline Find More Posts by Whitham69
Old Nov 08, 2013, 08:56 AM
Find More Posts by Throttlejunkie
If u aint 1st your last
Sydney, Australia
Joined Mar 2010
1,859 Posts
This is what we need LOL, more Chris's so we can get them into the bigger companies like HPI, Traxxas, & Tamiya to design & promote great bikes
Throttlejunkie is offline Find More Posts by Throttlejunkie
Old Nov 08, 2013, 09:18 AM
Joined Apr 2002
4,157 Posts
Chris Nicastro : since no company is taking the efforts to market the bikes (this is easily seen) the question still exhists...

What are some ideas and efforts to make these bikes more popular (as hobbiests) here in the USA.

It seems we can group up somehow to maybe get HPI or another prominate company with advertising dollars to make a competitive motorcycle? 1/5 or even 1/8.

Educating the public more I think is a good one. By putting out "how to's" videos maybe? Myself, Lito, and Jimmy have made real moves on "education " via Google hangout conversation on youtube . Maybe a more basic (shorter) video of basics can help. (Our first show was an HOUR.
Old Nov 08, 2013, 09:42 AM
Find More Posts by slawsonb
Bruce
Palmdale, CA
Joined Sep 2005
2,814 Posts
2 Wheel Hobbies does more promotion of the products we sell than the manufacturers do. We are a small company and can't afford an ad budget beyond google ads and supporting products on RC Groups and via email. Why aren't all bike manufacturers on RC Groups promoting and providing tech support for their products?

Bruce
slawsonb is offline Find More Posts by slawsonb
Old Nov 08, 2013, 09:54 AM
Joined Apr 2002
4,157 Posts
Thank you Bruce and we are aware that you are doing your own efforts to promote the bikes. We also support you in that. . as a small business you're limited on what you can do I'm sure.

I was hoping to see some ideas from us users of what we can do each one of us & as a group on making these bikes more popular here in the USA.
Old Nov 08, 2013, 10:37 AM
Find More Posts by JohnnyMc
RC Dirt Bike Action
California central coast
Joined Feb 2010
1,898 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Throttlejunkie View Post
This is what we need LOL, more Chris's so we can get them into the bigger companies like HPI, Traxxas, & Tamiya to design & promote great bikes
Haha, good one! I wish I could clone myself for selfish reasons only, so one of me could be out having fun while the other is doing chores, then the third and fourth for making money.
JohnnyMc is offline Find More Posts by JohnnyMc
Old Nov 08, 2013, 12:24 PM
Find More Posts by katana2665
Guilford, Ct.
Joined Jan 2004
1,702 Posts
Can't really add anymore to what Chris said. I've been around since the Yahoo group days and we were making parts/mods by hand because there wasn't any support.

Alot of experimentation, alot of frustration....but in the end, it was all about the journey.

The cottage industry is great for the hobbyist, but for a full blown country-wide promotion you definitely need a major company.

At one time HPI or Traxxas (don't recall which) had been looking at a bike design and may have even gotten to a working prototype, it was a shame it didn't go anywhere.

If, as others have said, the tracks start seeing more organized interest and demo runs, perhaps the big companies would take notice. With the advances of technology, it is 'easy' to put a design together...
katana2665 is online now Find More Posts by katana2665
Old Nov 08, 2013, 04:06 PM
Find More Posts by JohnnyMc
RC Dirt Bike Action
California central coast
Joined Feb 2010
1,898 Posts
Tend your garden

Kevin, Ive been asking myself the same questions since I got interested in rc dirt bikes in 2010. Outside the forums, there was nothing much and even your old site was pretty outdated so thats one thing I see you're doing to help change things... do you have a Cali club youtube channel? Might be worth considering - maybe put every race in Cali up on that youtube channel. Your casting out nets so that one day maybe you will find even just one person in your area.

I guess what it will come down to is this...if you want local participation then you need to Tend your own garden
I dont use this in the negative sense, which could be used as "mind your own business" but instead to mean, just as the saying is, to find the best location near you where you can grow the hobby personally. Each person's situation will be better or worse depending on factors like city size, other active rc hobbies, or if your area has a track. If your area is horrible for growing a local rc bike community, then there isnt much to do except visit other areas who have it.

If the situation is right, I think having a local track and going there consistently enough that you learn everyones names and can socialize with others is probably the biggest opportunity you can have. Having an rc vehicle like those raced might help you get to know others and would make you look less threatening. At least you know these guys are into rc already, so its just about convincing them or find that bike guy in the group. Until a group is established though it doesnt seem like others are willing to just invest in a dead hobby. Steliosh will attend to that as he shows up for his other rc racing and not one person has had the nuts to join him with rc bikes.

If you have a track...
- Does the track have a facebook page you can post photos/vids of your bike running on the track?
- Is there a track forum out there like on rctech that you can do the same as above?
- No tracks in area does hurt your chances. If you run in a parking lot (as I know you do) who the heck is going to know about that? Well, is there any other 4 wheel road racers in area that have a makeshift track you can join? If not, maybe you can find them and join to run?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitham69 View Post
For your club promote in the local free papers or local daily rag. poster or small ad's in skop's and take away.
Let the locals know there a bike club in town.
- To add to Whitham's suggestion: craigslist for your area is free to post.
- Any local hobby shops you can post a flier in?

I think looking at others in rcgroups and asking them to share what they have done or are doing would help. Ask the following members what they think: Jonathan Bradbury, 621clay, and poochy.
JohnnyMc is offline Find More Posts by JohnnyMc
Old Nov 08, 2013, 05:00 PM
Joined Apr 2002
4,157 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyMc View Post
Kevin, Ive been asking myself the same questions since I got interested in rc dirt bikes in 2010. Outside the forums, there was nothing much and even your old site was pretty outdated so thats one thing I see you're doing to help change things... do you have a Cali club youtube channel? Might be worth considering - maybe put every race in Cali up on that youtube channel. Your casting out nets so that one day maybe you will find even just one person in your area.

I guess what it will come down to is this...if you want local participation then you need to Tend your own garden
I dont use this in the negative sense, which could be used as "mind your own business" but instead to mean, just as the saying is, to find the best location near you where you can grow the hobby personally. Each person's situation will be better or worse depending on factors like city size, other active rc hobbies, or if your area has a track. If your area is horrible for growing a local rc bike community, then there isnt much to do except visit other areas who have it.

If the situation is right, I think having a local track and going there consistently enough that you learn everyones names and can socialize with others is probably the biggest opportunity you can have. Having an rc vehicle like those raced might help you get to know others and would make you look less threatening. At least you know these guys are into rc already, so its just about convincing them or find that bike guy in the group. Until a group is established though it doesnt seem like others are willing to just invest in a dead hobby. Steliosh will attend to that as he shows up for his other rc racing and not one person has had the nuts to join him with rc bikes.

If you have a track...
- Does the track have a facebook page you can post photos/vids of your bike running on the track?
- Is there a track forum out there like on rctech that you can do the same as above?
- No tracks in area does hurt your chances. If you run in a parking lot (as I know you do) who the heck is going to know about that? Well, is there any other 4 wheel road racers in area that have a makeshift track you can join? If not, maybe you can find them and join to run?

- To add to Whitham's suggestion: craigslist for your area is free to post.
- Any local hobby shops you can post a flier in?

I think looking at others in rcgroups and asking them to share what they have done or are doing would help. Ask the following members what they think: Jonathan Bradbury, 621clay, and poochy.
These are great suggestions Johnny.

ONE thing I do regulary is post on www.Craigslist.org : http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/tag/4147717492.html

This has needed me (us) 12 People so far to call when we get together "next time".

So, I would like to make a suggestion to the RC Bike Brotheren.... USE CRAIGS LIST. www.craigslist.org Post in the "for sale" portion under "toys and hobbies"

* Most "locals" many times search on Craig's List for the key words : RC R/C Futaba Spektrum Brushless 2.4 2.4ghz lipo airtronics rc car transmitter hobby race racing traxxas etc.

I will be posting a date soon to get these people together and "commit" to meeting. I have made a club banner years ago and also NOW HAVE T-SHIRTS...

I will indeed go to the local track "NorCal Hobbies" and display there very very soon.

I have a youtube channel but not one dedicated to RCMCC. My Youtube channel is linked all over our webpage Just search for " RCthis " Maybe I should change the name? (not even sure if I can change my YouTube name)

Thanks for the added suggestions for sure! Keep'em commin'.
Old Nov 08, 2013, 06:38 PM
Find More Posts by Throttlejunkie
If u aint 1st your last
Sydney, Australia
Joined Mar 2010
1,859 Posts
There definitely seems to be a lack of promoting these bikes to the general public over here not sure if it is the same over there, i know every time i go to the park with my bikes road or dirt most people are amazed & will say i have never seen an R/C bike before & did not know they even existed, i know most of the LHS around here do not stock or display bikes in their shops if they did more people would see them & you would also get the impulse buyers that see them & just have to have one because they are different, they somehow need more promotion to get more people to purchase them to have the numbers for people to get together & form clubs.
The key words is a good idea even for video's we put on youtube which i have not been doing, i will have to go & add them to my vids.
Throttlejunkie is offline Find More Posts by Throttlejunkie
Old Nov 09, 2013, 10:26 AM
Find More Posts by z_dad
Kungsangen, Stockholm, Sweden
Sweden, Upplands-Bro Municipality
Joined Dec 2011
288 Posts
Hi there guys!
3 years ago searched for ways to develop the RC bike scene here in Sweden and I found one Swedish sounding name among others here on RCG. After contact we found out that each of us had a few names to add to the list of bikers in Sweden. We then organized Swedens first meeting/race to be run as a support class, at a Large scale race. I Think we counted 5 or 7 bikes, mustered from all of Sweden and a little from Denmark. The progression from this made the bikes a part of the Large scale races, still as support class and just using the lapcounting system to have our own race. The attention we got from the, obviously greater LS crowds, both racers and onlookers, made the scene grow slowly. Still we haven't reached "critical mass" to have the bikes grow by their own pollination but there's definately a greater popular awareness to the existance of RC motorcycles over here. As the World Championship 2014 will be held in Sweden, the overall exposure in other-than-RC-media can be expected to rise considerably. Still, this couldn't have been done without great personal engagement.
The first step was to frequently expose ourselves, piggybacking the popularity of neighbouring classes with the least of effort. I think this is the key to growth, until completely accepted as a class.
So, gather the masses, SHOW UP AND SHOW OFF( more than 1 bike at the time)
z_dad is offline Find More Posts by z_dad
Old Nov 09, 2013, 10:58 AM
Find More Posts by Gspeed
Joined Jan 2012
26 Posts
Another simple and free idea to promote what we do is advertise on eBay. I keep an ad running here in the UK for my local club which has pulled in a couple of new members, not many but every little helps.

Be aware that you can't actually advertise a club as you have to be selling something, so I am selling an information sheet about the club. The downside to this approach is that despite putting all the information in the advert about the club, how to get in touch, how to find the website etc, I still get the occasional muppet bidding on it. I take the attitude that if they are daft enough to bid and pay then I will be happy to take their money and send them the sheet of paper with some info on it
Gspeed is offline Find More Posts by Gspeed