HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Yesterday, 04:07 PM
Team McFueler
United States, NC, Mooresville
Joined Aug 2011
22 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FPVsummituk View Post
Not me I'm afraid...... I'm no help at all ....... I just use 1.3ghz from truck to relay, then split the signal, one to a DVR in the relay and the other to a 5.8ghz vtx to send the signal on to my goggles, no cables, I'm not tethered to the GS, which canbe placed in the best possible location while I can find somewhere in the shade to sit and relax while I drive.
I'm with FPVsummituk...

You can get coax that has very low dbi loss... I think something like RFC400 (don't remember the exact nomenclature)... Very expensive and it's like a 1/2 inch in diameter. It only has like 5-7 dbi loss per 100 feet, but cost is killer... By time you buy the cable, it's cheaper to buy another receiver and 5.8Ghz receiver to bridge the gap.

Anything else coax wise will give a significant dbi loss... Don't take my/our word for it, look it up on the net! I'm with you in your thoughts and I want to do the same thing... Just comes down to dollars and "cents"... Me and TNT will have this setup soon!
sparkgaps is offline Find More Posts by sparkgaps
to remove ads between posts
Old Yesterday, 04:11 PM
Team McFueler
Joined Aug 2011
22 Posts
As always, if you come up with another cool way, let us know! I don't want to shoot down passion and fun... We all want the same thing! Over time, we will always trump each other and come up with better ideas! JUST SHARE!!!
Old Yesterday, 04:24 PM
Team McFueler
Joined Aug 2011
22 Posts
I actually ordered a 25 ft cable to test this theory... DBI loss versus actual application can sometimes be different... Unfortunately, the cable I got had the wrong polarity male/female wise in the connectors... If you test this, I would like to hear your results! Science and practice can differ a bit!
Old Yesterday, 07:47 PM
Portland, Oregon
Joined Aug 2008
1,561 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FPVsummituk View Post
Not me I'm afraid...... I'm no help at all ....... I just use 1.3ghz from truck to relay, then split the signal, one to a DVR in the relay and the other to a 5.8ghz vtx to send the signal on to my goggles, no cables, I'm not tethered to the GS, which can be placed in the best possible location while I can find somewhere in the shade to sit and relax while I drive.
Ok that's cool how you are doing it and this also keeps it all nice and simple... My tripod is where my monitor is but I was hoping to raise a PVC pipe maybe 10' above the tripod with just the receiver and it's antenna and then just coax cable down 10' or so to my DVR splitter and then to the LED monitor and it can probably be done just fine with simple shielded aidio\video cables but I just wasn't sure... Time to test it I guess...

Thanks as usual...
bob
bnick2k8 is online now Find More Posts by bnick2k8
Old Yesterday, 11:51 PM
Out of the way, Peck!
United States, AR, Arkadelphia
Joined Mar 2010
154 Posts
Sure, B.Nick, shielded audio/ video cable is fine for video from Vrx to DVR/ goggles. Coax is only necessary between antenna and Vrx.

Good low-loss coax for relatively cheap is RG-8.

More than 18" of any coax between antenna and Vrx/ Vtx at these frequencies is high-loss.

I believe a previous poster meant to type "RG-316".

I always knew i was an amateur but now i have a license to prove it.
KC9PZN
Oddmar is offline Find More Posts by Oddmar
Old Today, 04:01 AM
United Kingdom, England, Uxbridge
Joined Jan 2012
1,062 Posts
Traxxalu the super star, awesome dude!! was a great rescue and video.
glue hand brian is online now Find More Posts by glue hand brian