HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 26, 2015, 10:12 PM
Joined Jun 2014
184 Posts
Discussion
Calypso or Phoenix 2000

Im a beginner with some experience looking to get a 4 channel motorized glider with ailerons & flaps.

NOT INTERESTED IN THE RADIAN OR RADIAN PRO.

Anyone owned both the Calypso & Phoenix 2000?
Which is the better glider?
I intend to use these as they were designed as a Park Flier- climb & glide
sachmo is offline Find More Posts by sachmo
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 27, 2015, 10:29 AM
noob
United States, NE, Broken Bow
Joined Oct 2014
41 Posts
Sounds like a difficult decision to make.

Maybe you better just get both.

-- Scott
NB0W is offline Find More Posts by NB0W
Old Jan 27, 2015, 10:55 AM
MK
NJ
Joined Feb 2001
1,248 Posts
I'm in the same predicament. And I'm throwing in the Kunai to the mix (and sometimes ROC Hobby V-tail too!). I have been going back and forth on all three on a daily basis for the past month or so. Talk about psychosis! I'm going to probably wait until the WRAM show to see if I can get any deals.

I too do not want a Radian or Radian Pro.

Here are my reasoning:

Calypso:
Good parts support. Huge cavity for battery. Reasonable cost with Tower coupons. Really no report of bad characteristics. For me, I wanted to custom paint it so I'm not sure how easy the decals come off.

Phoenix 2000:
Cheapest of the bunch. About 100 grams heavier. Parts support questionable. Stock motor tends to overheat. Any initial issue you have to deal with HK (even with US warehouse). Comes pure white ready to paint! Less of a RTF than the Calypso. Good if you are a tinkerer/builder. More things to get busy with.

Kunai:
Light and fast. Probably the best floater of them all due to lighter weight. Can be flown slow or fast. Cavity is TINY so you really have to work on getting the battery in. Can cut open the nose scoops for better cooling. One piece wing, may be a transport issue. Similar price to Calypso when done.

ROC Hobby:
Biggest of the bunch with 88"(?) wing span but the most costly. Reportedly good flying characteristics.
MK is offline Find More Posts by MK
Old Jan 27, 2015, 10:56 AM
MK
NJ
Joined Feb 2001
1,248 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NB0W View Post
Sounds like a difficult decision to make.

Maybe you better just get both.

-- Scott
You're not helping Scott...LOL! (Although I have thought about that but the wife will do the dance of death!)
Old Jan 27, 2015, 01:05 PM
Joined Jun 2014
184 Posts
MK. What is wram show?

Does the ROC Hobby have a rudder? I don't know enough about characteristics of v tail so haven't pursued it.

Agree with all your assessments. Calypso has been fixed with V2. Only way I would buy the Phoenix is the ARF version. All electronic seem to be substandard and parts availability puts a big question in my mind.

Will have to take a closer look at Kunai.

Still would like to hear from someone who has flown both.
Old Jan 27, 2015, 01:16 PM
RV-1D Grumman Mohawk, US Army
United States, NC, Reidsville
Joined Sep 2014
74 Posts
The Calypso is a 100% foam motor glider. Its price is $89.98 (kit) - $159.99 (with 4 servos, ESC and motor). It is slightly smaller than the Phoenix at 1855mm vs 2000mm My vote goes to the Phoenix 2000. The Phoenix is a 2 meter electric glider and has foam a wing and tail but has a blow moulded fuselage that is nearly indestructible. It ranges in price from $71(kit) - $95(w/ 4 servos, ESC and motor) USD. The Phoenix also comes in two other "flavors". A 1600mm and a 2500mm. All three use the same fuselage. All these gliders are good starting points for the beginner. Personally, I like the Phoenix because it is a bit more refined and the fuselage is more durable and has more room inside. The price of a Phoenix "kit" is only about $70 and for that price, I have 2 gliders for the price of a single Calypso. When price shopping, be sure to compare each glider with similar option packages. Some have both gliders and the Phoenix seems to be the favored one. Read up on them and choose one. ...

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...oenix%20glider

http://secure.hobbyzone.com/FLZA3004.html
NSASarge is offline Find More Posts by NSASarge
Old Jan 27, 2015, 04:19 PM
Joined Jun 2014
184 Posts
I'm leaning toward the Phoenix but it will require more build time if I supply all my own electronics. I'm sure that would be a good learning experience.

The thing that worries me most about the Phoenix is that I've only saw one website that showed selling the replacement wing & it seems like it was about $60.00 not including freight. There is not much parts availability.

I'd really like to know how each handles in the air.
Old Jan 27, 2015, 04:44 PM
United States, NY, Rocky Point
Joined Jan 2005
143 Posts
Some good video of how the plane flies.

Relax with a new EPO Phoenix 2000 (3 min 15 sec)

But I think he has it set up light. These planes can also be set up heavier and fast. Slow rolls and tight loops and inversion is easily done.

From what I have seen.
knowair is offline Find More Posts by knowair
Last edited by knowair; Jan 27, 2015 at 04:57 PM.
Old Jan 27, 2015, 06:58 PM
Joined Sep 2014
74 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sachmo View Post
I'm leaning toward the Phoenix but it will require more build time if I supply all my own electronics. I'm sure that would be a good learning experience.

The thing that worries me most about the Phoenix is that I've only saw one website that showed selling the replacement wing & it seems like it was about $60.00 not including freight. There is not much parts availability.

I'd really like to know how each handles in the air.
Either plane will require about the same amount of build time if you supply your own electronics ... so....

Why bother buying replacement wings for $60 when you can buy an entire replacement glider for $71?!?!? You still gotta pay S&H anyway.

Old Jan 27, 2015, 07:29 PM
Joined Jun 2014
184 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NSASarge View Post
Either plane will require about the same amount of build time if you supply your own electronics ... so....

Why bother buying replacement wings for $60 when you can buy an entire replacement glider for $71?!?!? You still gotta pay S&H anyway.

That's my whole point about the Phoenix!
Parts are not readily available and when you can find them they are way overpriced.

If you read through the Phoenix thread, people say right out of the box servos don't work. After a few flights either the motor or ESC burns up. So the only way I would buy the Phoenix would be to get the the ARF & put better electronics in it. I wouldn't mind doing that if it is a better gilder.

The Calypso doesn't have the electronic issues although it only has an 18A ESC which is borderline. It did have a major flaw with the horizontal stabilizer being off which cause the plane to nose dive. The new version V2 corrected this. Also parts are plentiful. A new wing is $40.00 which is in line with other planes this size.

I've seen many videos of both. Was just hoping to find someone who had both or at least flown both & if there was any significant difference.
Old Jan 27, 2015, 08:57 PM
MK
NJ
Joined Feb 2001
1,248 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sachmo View Post
MK. What is wram show?
Annual large R/C show in NJ (used to be in Westchester, NY).
http://www.wram.org/wram-show

Only if Tower carries the Phoenix 2000, it would be a win-win situation!

The ROC HOBBY plane is a v-tail so it has no rudder per se but uses the v-tail to act like a rudder. Any computer radio these days should be able to handle V-tail set ups.

I have a 3 meter Pike Superior that is a V-Tail and I fly it with a Futaba 8GHS with no problems at all. You would not know there is no "rudder" at all even though you do have a rudder control on the Tx. It mixes the two V-tail surfaces.
Old Jan 29, 2015, 03:19 PM
Joined Sep 2014
74 Posts
Another point to consider ... there are approx 1,500 posts for the Calypso and 7,000 for the Phoenix.
Bigger following, more ideas and suggestions, better user support. More friends.
Old Jan 29, 2015, 06:15 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2,898 Posts
Hi, sachmo.

I only have a few minutes flying a Phoenix but have flown a Calypso quite a bit. I like them both and both are good general purpose gliders. The major difference in flight performance is that the Phoenix has very slightly better high speed performance and wind penetration but the Calypso is a bit better "pure floater". The maiden flight on the Calypso found me holding it in a small thermal over a baseball diamond for several minutes at about 50 feet!

The difference in overall performance is probably within the limits of what can be accomplished by using lighter or heavier batteries, tweaking the CG for your preferred flight performance, and using camber changing to full effect.

My friend's Calypso is a V.1 with the tail issue. It also burned out a servo after a few flights and the motor mount is a weak point but easily backed up with a piece of plywood and some epoxy. It would have been fine as is if he had not hit a tree. Any modifications or repair to the fuselage of the Phoenix is highly problematic due to the plastic used. Generally, the only available option is to use screws through the plastic.

The choice really comes down to price, product support, and looks. I have given up on PNP packages regardless of manufacturer because I have found that I can get better components and, sometimes, even upgrade from what's included while saving a bit of money. I guess that I would give the nod to the Calypso because of the product support unless you simply can't justify the higher purchase price.

Cheers!
peterlngh is offline Find More Posts by peterlngh
Old Jan 29, 2015, 06:39 PM
MK
NJ
Joined Feb 2001
1,248 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NSASarge View Post
Another point to consider ... there are approx 1,500 posts for the Calypso and 7,000 for the Phoenix.
Bigger following, more ideas and suggestions, better user support. More friends.
Point, counter point. Maybe the Phoenix has more issues so there are more posts!

(Really, it becomes a Coke vs. Pepsi thing but Peter has some good points.)
Old Jan 29, 2015, 06:52 PM
Joined Sep 2014
74 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MK View Post
Point, counter point. Maybe the Phoenix has more issues so there are more posts!

(Really, it becomes a Coke vs. Pepsi thing but Peter has some good points.)
Point Counter Point ... Maybe there are more Phoenix than Calypso owners.

You already stated you are not interested in the Radian, however, it has over 19,000 posts. The Radian Pro is a 100% foam full house glider and a better pick over the "regular" Radian.

They're all good! As suggested, you will be better of by supplying your own electronics. Dog-gone-it! Just pick one, buy it, be done with it and fly it.

Last edited by NSASarge; Jan 29, 2015 at 06:57 PM. Reason: Info ...