Old Aug 26, 2015, 11:05 AM
Find More Posts by RC Man
A man with too many toys
United States
Joined Feb 2001
19,580 Posts
Discussion
UHF in the US?

The other day someone without a Ham licensee asked my if any of the long range UHF systems had FCC certification. I have never seen a discussion on that and did know the answer.

Since FPV is becoming very popular I think that a RTF UHF radio on the 70 or 33cm band would be very popular. The 33cm ISM band is license free if you have certification.

Not sure if you can get 70cm commercial certification? Most countries allow that band but I donít think the US does.

RC Man is online now Find More Posts by RC Man
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 26, 2015, 01:35 PM
Find More Posts by v2rocketeer
Australia, NSW, Ingleburn
Joined Mar 2013
410 Posts
Unlikely.

https://transition.fcc.gov/Bureaus/E...3/oet63rev.pdf
v2rocketeer is offline Find More Posts by v2rocketeer
Old Aug 26, 2015, 02:07 PM
Find More Posts by jigabop
FPV Noob
United States, WA, Renton
Joined Jun 2015
171 Posts
2.4Ghz is technically UHF though I wouldn't consider it "long range" and many 2.4Ghz control systems have FCC certification.

2.4Ghz being in the ISM band does not require a HAM license, however if you are referring to 430-450Mhz (aka 433Mhz Long Range UHF) then that is within the Amateur Radio band and restricted to licensed operators only.

433Mhz won't be FCC certified because of the simple fact that those bands are allocated for Amateur radio. You are welcome to use those bands if you hold a technician class license.

now 900Mhz (33cm) may be possible but unlikely and would not at all be popular in the US due to cell phones and cell towers transmitting around the 33cm band which would cause a lot of noise on that band and would not be ideal for long range aircraft control.

Heck I had the problem of WiFi and bluetooth interfering with my 2.4Ghz control, so I had to switch to 433Mhz control due to having too much 2.4Ghz signals in my area. 900Mhz would have an even harder time with that because cell coverage is more of a problem than wifi is.
jigabop is offline Find More Posts by jigabop
Last edited by jigabop; Aug 26, 2015 at 04:16 PM.
Old Aug 26, 2015, 02:21 PM
Find More Posts by Daemon
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
30,717 Posts
The upcoming TBS Crossfire LRS system operates in 900Mhz band, and will be FCC certified.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2458672
There is a lot of noise in 900Mhz band in the US, but no US cellular carriers actually use it.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cellul..._Frequency_Use
Daemon is offline Find More Posts by Daemon
Old Aug 26, 2015, 03:01 PM
A man with too many toys
United States
Joined Feb 2001
19,580 Posts
I use a couple of RFD900+ telemetry radios and have never had any interference problem. They are frequency hopping and operate on the ISM band. That band has never given my any problems and I would expect that UHF in the US would to that way in the future because no Ham license is required.

RC Man is online now Find More Posts by RC Man
Old Aug 27, 2015, 08:21 AM
Find More Posts by v2rocketeer
Australia, NSW, Ingleburn
Joined Mar 2013
410 Posts
what RFD system is that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Man View Post
I use a couple of RFD900+ telemetry radios and have never had any interference problem. They are frequency hopping and operate on the ISM band. That band has never given my any problems and I would expect that UHF in the US would to that way in the future because no Ham license is required.

v2rocketeer is offline Find More Posts by v2rocketeer
Old Aug 27, 2015, 10:10 AM
A man with too many toys
United States
Joined Feb 2001
19,580 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by v2rocketeer View Post
what RFD system is that?

Itís Australian Technology!

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1659592