New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 29, 2015, 12:00 AM
Find More Posts by Kevin Matney
United States, MI, Erie
Joined Mar 2000
971 Posts
Discussion
3D cad

I need to learn to draw in 3D I'm good in 2D.
What is the easiest prg to do so on?
Kevin Matney is offline Find More Posts by Kevin Matney
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 29, 2015, 09:18 AM
Find More Posts by T_om
The Junk Man
Jacksonville, Florida
Joined Jul 2006
2,251 Posts
Which is the best car to drive? Your question is so open-ended as to be difficult to answer.

Do you want a Bentley Mulsanne? Look at SolidWorks, Catia, Solid Edge, Pro-Engineer, Inventor and others starting at a bit over $3,000.00 per seat and going up from there

How about a Cadillac or Lexus? Try Rhino or Ashlar-Vellum Cobalt

Ford or Chevy? TurboCAD, BobCAD or Alibre Design Xpress

And for the masses, how about a Volkswagen? SketchUP

There is a VERY STEEP learning curve to any CAD package. Most people really do not grasp this until they start using one. And not only is the curve steep, but you must keep using the package regularly to keep your skillset up.

I went back to SketchUp and have been happy.

Tom
T_om is offline Find More Posts by T_om
Old Apr 29, 2015, 09:34 AM
Find More Posts by jumo004
Joined Apr 2010
410 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by T_om View Post
Which is the best car to drive? Your question is so open-ended as to be difficult to answer.

Do you want a Bentley Mulsanne? Look at SolidWorks, Catia, Solid Edge, Pro-Engineer, Inventor and others starting at a bit over $3,000.00 per seat and going up from there

How about a Cadillac or Lexus? Try Rhino or Ashlar-Vellum Cobalt

Ford or Chevy? TurboCAD, BobCAD or Alibre Design Xpress

And for the masses, how about a Volkswagen? SketchUP

There is a VERY STEEP learning curve to any CAD package. Most people really do not grasp this until they start using one. And not only is the curve steep, but you must keep using the package regularly to keep your skillset up.

I went back to SketchUp and have been happy.

Tom

+1 !

I use Moment of Inspiration (MoI).
Ford / Chevy group.
jumo004 is online now Find More Posts by jumo004
Old Apr 29, 2015, 09:50 AM
Find More Posts by Hemikiller
-insert witty saying here-
United States, CT, Killingworth
Joined Dec 2005
2,040 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Matney View Post
I need to learn to draw in 3D I'm good in 2D.
What is the easiest prg to do so on?
What's your budget?
Hemikiller is offline Find More Posts by Hemikiller
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 29, 2015, 07:29 PM
United States, MI, Erie
Joined Mar 2000
971 Posts
Old modeler

I'm just a old modeler try to some 3D cam so I use my ShopBot in 3D
Old Apr 29, 2015, 07:31 PM
United States, MI, Erie
Joined Mar 2000
971 Posts
I have now Design CAD 3D Max 20 now.
Also use the soft wear from ShopBot That is Part Works 2.5 and Part Works 3D
Old Apr 29, 2015, 10:35 PM
Find More Posts by Phoneman2005
Ariel WA
Joined Apr 2005
443 Posts
Take a look at Onshape.com Cloud based 3D CAD that is free. They have lots of tutorials and a great forum where questions are answered by the developers and user.
You also have the ability to share your drawings with team members where both can add to and edit drawings.

Dave
Phoneman2005 is online now Find More Posts by Phoneman2005
Old Apr 30, 2015, 07:06 PM
Find More Posts by invertmast
United States, FL, North Port
Joined Mar 2004
3,796 Posts
Solidworks guy here
invertmast is online now Find More Posts by invertmast
Old Apr 30, 2015, 11:34 PM
United States, MI, Erie
Joined Mar 2000
971 Posts
Were to get started on 3d cad?
Old May 01, 2015, 12:59 AM
Find More Posts by Roto Rob
Denver, CO
Joined Dec 2005
6,907 Posts
Some programs are much better at certain things.
Some have good demo versions.
Bobcad has a free demo. It is actually the full version, it just runs in demo mode, unless it is activated. In demo mode it just disables features to save in other than demo format, or to export out to a machine. Its not the greatest, but I have made good use of mine. Here is one plane I made with it. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...3&postcount=63
Roto Rob is online now Find More Posts by Roto Rob
Old May 01, 2015, 09:23 AM
Find More Posts by invertmast
United States, FL, North Port
Joined Mar 2004
3,796 Posts
Quote:
Were to get started on 3d cad?
Start out drawing simple Cubes, sphere's, etc by using all the various functions that your particular program can do. Then begin making things that are easy. Like a rod with a sphere on top, clevis', etc.

more complex shapes will take multiple operations and sometimes you'll go through multiple iterations as time goes by. My F-14's landing gear is completely designed in Solidworks. Its first version 6 years ago is so poor i look at it in disgust compared to what it is now. 6 years ago i didn't even have the desire to try and do the nose gear b/c of the sheer complexity of it.

Now:

Then:

invertmast is online now Find More Posts by invertmast
Old May 02, 2015, 01:54 AM
Find More Posts by ptxman
Calgary, AB, Canada
Joined Oct 2002
1,948 Posts
Quote:
I think Joe Manor used Rhino on a Shopbot back in the day, but you would have to contact him or dig through the posts. I'm just a Cad guy, not Cam, so I don't really know if Shopbots are somehow unique in what files they support, or if its the exact same input/procedure like other cnc routers?
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...ight=joe+manor

But (I suspect) you need to be asking about 2 products, not just 3D Cad for design but also associated 3D Cam if you are the one ultimately making 3D parts on your machine. My friend uses Rhino & this product on a generic cnc router & Mach I believe
http://mecsoft.com/rhinocam-software/

Re the cad side, I migrated from 2D AutoCAD/clones back in the day to Rhino to Solidworks. As others have said the price progression is kind of 0K to 1K to 4K. If you are a good 2D guy, those skills are not lost. 2D is a pre-requisite to 3D modeling because 3D components start with those constructs. But the flavor & interface will be different & 3D introduces new ways of thinking.

I know I've personally posted here a bunch of times on related learning resources for both Rhino & Solidworks, so do some searching here on this forum. Lots of info there by very experienced individuals.

Also, there are some really good online learning resources now, which I personally find are way better than textbooks or trying to pick up loose tips from random YouTube vids. But we all learn differently. No sense having a cool Cad package if it comes with a basic help disk & nobody else has heard of it. The technology we are talking about with is what people take in college & make a living at, so its kind of like saying 'I want to build rockets, what kind of welder should I get?' I would suggest something like this subscription service at minimum & then you are covered on a few of the more popular formats. In fact maybe you want to check them out before committing to a package. [type 'solidworks' or 'rhino' into the search box]
http://learn.infiniteskills.com/dashboard.html
ptxman is offline Find More Posts by ptxman
Old May 04, 2015, 07:18 PM
United States, MI, Erie
Joined Mar 2000
971 Posts
I can take some one cad drawing in 3d and make it run on my machine. But I want to learn to draw in 3d,so I can cut my own 3d stuff
Old May 04, 2015, 07:52 PM
Find More Posts by Phoneman2005
Ariel WA
Joined Apr 2005
443 Posts
Kevin

What 3D CAD program are you trying to use at present. What Cam program are you going to use to turn your 3D models into G code.

What kind of parts do you want to machine. What material do you want to use for your parts.

What control software are you using on your CNC machine. What CNC machine are you using.

I use Alibre/Geomagic for 3D CAD, Sprutcam9 for CAM, Path Pilot for control software of a Tormach 770 CNC milling machine.

I've been doing this for a lot of years so I am close to the top of the learning curve, but I discover new thing all the time.

Here is a link to a pair on steam engines that I designed and built. At present I am installing them in the vessel they were built for. Mike Jones (Hookpilot) is the builder of the vessel.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...97645&page=103

At present I am Beta testing the cloud based 3D CAD program that Onshape.com is developing.
There are a lot of things that have to be added to the program before it goes live. It is a very interesting program and if you can live with having only 5 projects active and stay under 5gb then the program is free. You can switch projects in and out of active status and have lots of projects in inactive status.

They have a great forum with users and developers helping and answering questions.

Dave
Phoneman2005 is online now Find More Posts by Phoneman2005
Old May 12, 2015, 09:48 AM
Find More Posts by Depot
Fool on a Hill
Joined Apr 2014
70 Posts
Quote:
Kevin, I use Rhino along with Madcam for CAM, but the two of those together will probably run more than you want to spend.

The thing is, once you get to wanting to draw and CNC in 3D, then the entire CAD/CAM package can get pretty complex and pricey at the same time.

You're not going to make it happen for "free", or even likely very cheap, but I think the biggest bang for the buck would be Vectric Aspire.
Aspire is a full 3D CAD program to begin with, and Vectric includes a ton of CAM output modes so that you don't have to buy a separate CAM software package.

Still not cheap, but it would be a system you could stay with for the long term.

http://www.vectric.com/products/aspire.html
Depot is offline Find More Posts by Depot