Find More Posts by RyoOhki1701
i can cope !
France, IdF, Paris
Joined Feb 2013
1,841 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wamp View Post
Also humidity or rain.
Unless you use waterproof, it will melt or creep.
My buddy lost a 1/4 scale Sopwith Pup at Rhinebeck over rain.
Although covered some rain got in, ran down to the tailskid and all looked good.
The tail feathers failed up there
I indeed used a waterproof one
RyoOhki1701 is offline Find More Posts by RyoOhki1701
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 18, 2015, 08:41 AM
Find More Posts by michaelpowell
Joined Sep 2010
70 Posts
I have three of these now: one new, one flying, and one being repaired. They break only when I break them, I remain the weakest link in the chain. Even my five-year-old grand daughter, Eve, has them licked, it's the sweetest flying "full-house" in the business. My glow-plug chums are being converted, albeit slowly.

Gentleman Phil Kraft did a lot of good, he'd have been knighted decades ago if it was down to me, but the Das Ugly Stik clan was his best effort. I've still got six in four different sizes and all fly brilliantly. Thank you, Sir Philip!!

Just as everyone who enjoys cars should own an Alfa-Romeo, so should everyone in this hobby own a Stik. This one is good. If only Graupner would revive their Middle Stik, I'd be delighted. It was brilliant, but the sniggerers killed it.
michaelpowell is offline Find More Posts by michaelpowell
Old Jun 20, 2015, 04:24 PM
Find More Posts by cwolfe
United States, TX, Spring
Joined Aug 2011
2,585 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelpowell View Post
Just as everyone who enjoys cars should own an Alfa-Romeo, so should everyone in this hobby own a Stik. .
Agreed!

CW
cwolfe is offline Find More Posts by cwolfe
Old Jun 27, 2015, 12:53 AM
i can cope !
France, IdF, Paris
Joined Feb 2013
1,841 Posts
The heat is on - we're looking at 95F+ temperatures next week (not sure I've seen such high temps in my whole life over there), maybe just 84-85 this Sunday but the Ultra Stick will definitely tag along to the field. We'll see if and how the pegs hold !
Old Jun 27, 2015, 06:21 AM
Find More Posts by Wamp
Joined Mar 2012
2,422 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyoOhki1701 View Post
The heat is on - we're looking at 95F+ temperatures next week (not sure I've seen such high temps in my whole life over there), maybe just 84-85 this Sunday but the Ultra Stick will definitely tag along to the field. We'll see if and how the pegs hold !
I made note of ground effect conditions starting around there, on pavement landings can get squirley! Have fun!
Wamp is offline Find More Posts by Wamp
Old Jun 29, 2015, 01:23 AM
i can cope !
France, IdF, Paris
Joined Feb 2013
1,841 Posts
So far so good - the plane was a lot of fun and came through the five LiPos I had brought unscathed. Good thing the motor is outside the fuse too, it was hot yesterday afternoon. The wing pegs held tight but the covering blistered here and there. Nothing too serious some ironing can't fix.

A serious mistake from my part could have ended in a disaster though... Always looking for the reason my plane needed aileron trim I had worked on both flap servos thinking one was maybe sitting a bit off center, and one definitely had play, so I had replaced the control rod with assembly with a new one.
This had been weeks ago and apparently I had forgotten to secure the servo arms back in place...

The flaps did operate normally on the ground during the pre-flight check, but unbeknownst to me, the arms did a quick run for the hills once airborne! My luck was that I flight tested the flaps during a slow pass with some water under the keel. It had been a good flight up until now but something felt not so good when instead of gently slowing down and pitching up slightly, the plane engaged in a hard banking roll. Cripes!
I had time to retract the flaps and level the plane before it rekitted itself on the landing strip, and could proceed to land normally... Found one control rod hanging from the flap horn with the servo head screw missing, and the other still partly engaged with the screw hanging by nothing but a thread.

BIG time failure for me there (I'm usually paranoid about pre-flight checks...) and a lesson learned. It could have been the ailerons, and then...

Luckily I could finish the afternoon by removing the flap rods and taping the flaps to the ailerons! Ugly fix
Old Jul 02, 2015, 03:17 AM
Find More Posts by michaelpowell
Joined Sep 2010
70 Posts
Happy Again

I now have three 25e Ultra Stiks operational!! A quick blast with epoxy resin got the two duffers back looking fine, and when I come to take one from the van it's difficult to tell them apart.

And as it's now a half century old, the design got a decoration.
michaelpowell is offline Find More Posts by michaelpowell
Old Jul 08, 2015, 05:47 PM
Find More Posts by Wamp
Joined Mar 2012
2,422 Posts
I thought the 25e was gone.
Back in stock at Horizon @$169.99.
One I don't want to be with out!
Old Jul 08, 2015, 05:47 PM
Find More Posts by Wamp
Joined Mar 2012
2,422 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelpowell View Post
I now have three 25e Ultra Stiks operational!! A quick blast with epoxy resin got the two duffers back looking fine, and when I come to take one from the van it's difficult to tell them apart.

And as it's now a half century old, the design got a decoration.
Cool work!
Old Jul 09, 2015, 05:09 PM
Find More Posts by Wamp
Joined Mar 2012
2,422 Posts
My buddy finally tried a 4 cell with the 32 and 12X6.
What a wake up.
Now he is hooked!
Old Jul 13, 2015, 06:28 PM
Find More Posts by cwolfe
United States, TX, Spring
Joined Aug 2011
2,585 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wamp View Post
My buddy finally tried a 4 cell with the 32 and 12X6.
What a wake up.
Now he is hooked!

Yeah, It's got a bit of gt up and go with that set up. I'm on a 12x8 with that set up.

CW
cwolfe is offline Find More Posts by cwolfe