Numeric 9 47.37%
Knaughty 5 26.32%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Old Aug 23, 2014, 09:26 PM
Hot Dawg Glider Pilot
United States, TX, Weatherford
Joined Nov 2002
7,793 Posts
Beginning a couple of builds next month... Magnum 12 and Legionair 132... if I can find a rudder plan for the 12... My wood butcher skills need honing....

Darth Gasbag

OBTW... Both will be covered with transparent covering...
schrederman is offline Find More Posts by schrederman
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 23, 2014, 10:29 PM
registered weapon
United States, MT
Joined Mar 2008
3,265 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by granada don View Post
Hey Keith

What kind of Ski boat does you got, ever see the Patterson wood boats from the 60's they were the hot ticket out here

Met Bob in 68' and have been best of friends , his boats are being restored now by new owners

Bob was into to circle boat racing in the Crackerbox's and his ski boats were used in the SK - E - SS - class's

In 12 yrs he built one a month for a total of about 250 boats

The Crackerbox in my avaitar pic is his brother Tom's cracker the 'Sparkler ' that I raced with for 6 yrs and had a ball, and kicked a little tail along the way too

G Don
Yes, I love the Patterson's.... outa my price range unfortunately There is one up here On Hebgen Lake that I drool over everytime I'm at the Kirkwood marina. It's a sweety... I'll take a pic next week if the weather is nice.

I just have a little bayliner but it's a lot of fun... you'd have passed me just idling.
IHAVAWDY is offline Find More Posts by IHAVAWDY
Old Aug 23, 2014, 11:38 PM
who has rabbit ears down
United States, MN, Buffalo
Joined Jan 2007
3,634 Posts
Helluva kool boat too Keith!
Yo Darthgluewoods! I thought you said that build logs were too intense!
Captain Canardly is offline Find More Posts by Captain Canardly
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: One printer running!
Old Aug 24, 2014, 12:09 AM
Dragons, Windmills. All Same.
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined May 2002
4,114 Posts
No rudder plan on my last Magnum 12 yet could provide basic dimensions along with foggy pics, if that would help.
jcstalls is offline Find More Posts by jcstalls
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 24, 2014, 12:20 AM
life long racing nut & modeler
Granada Hills Ca.
Joined Nov 2009
1,994 Posts
Hi Keith

If you Goggle ' Sunburst K 81 ' you will one of my customers Charlie Hamill from 69' & 70 that lives in Kalispell Mt.

His son just had the Patterson boat restored and takes it to the vintage races

Those neat boats have a timeless look to them

G Don
granada don is offline Find More Posts by granada don
Old Aug 24, 2014, 11:02 AM
Egads! It's a GIRL!
United States, CA, San Jose
Joined Jul 2011
3,321 Posts
Lil checking in. Still alive, just buried in work, projects, and more projects. I'm up to my eyeballs in this new juniors program that I'm getting ready to start up. It's gonna be busy.

Wood? Lots of it. I finished a couple of loading blocks/boxes made of local oak, one more of reclaimed old growth redwood that just needs magnets, and am currently working on modifying a 10/22 stock and a bayonet handle, made of super quilted rosewood. I'm also slowly plinking away at a restoration project: an old, externally belt driven, 10" Delta band saw. Mine for $25 and some elbow grease.
Lil Stinkpot is offline Find More Posts by Lil Stinkpot
Old Aug 24, 2014, 12:11 PM
Good, fast or cheap, pick two
Napa, California
Joined Jul 2006
2,604 Posts
Yo, GDon, did you send that little quake up here? Thanks man, woke me right up at 3:20 a.m. It sort of reminded me of the Northridge quake, but this was just not quite as long in duration - maybe 20 seconds or so? It sure seemed like a lot longer though!!

- Broken crap all over the place, pretty ugly really. Nothing like feeling a big house get heaved around like it's nothing. A shot from the news... check the shift in the road!
robh is offline Find More Posts by robh
Last edited by robh; Aug 24, 2014 at 12:16 PM. Reason: typo
Old Aug 24, 2014, 01:06 PM
Granada Hills Ca.
Joined Nov 2009
1,994 Posts
Glad you are OK Rob & Kaytie, those are flat scary in the middle of the nite

Been through 4 of them and that is enough for me, Northridge was a doozy for sure for me being 2 miles from the center

Mother Nature does have her tricks for us at times

G Don
Old Aug 24, 2014, 07:39 PM
United States, OH, Bradford
Joined Jun 2005
4,076 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by granada don View Post
Wayne I have always thought that wood gliders just fly better with the transparent covering so you can see all the ribs - spars -etc,

Plus it makes the bird look lighter too, and when you look up and see the wing parts it is just flat cool looking

Just my 2 cents worth, G Don
G Don, transparent Monokote is slightly lighter than opaque Monokote. However, transparent and opaque Ultracoat are the same weight.

Of course the next question is whether lighter is better. Most of the time, yes, but not always.
Don Stackhouse is online now Find More Posts by Don Stackhouse
Old Aug 24, 2014, 07:59 PM
Granada Hills Ca.
Joined Nov 2009
1,994 Posts
Hi Don

I have been a nut about the transparent covering ever since 1980 and the first day I saw it

Went to Pierce Collage and met the S.F.V. Silent Flyers club guys, and saw a few setting on the grass and several in the air

Needless I was hooked right then & there seeing the sun coming through the covering while overhead , and seeing the ribs - spars wow that was a ever lasting look see

They just look right seeing the wing parts ' Priceless '

G Don
Old Aug 24, 2014, 08:37 PM
Hot Dawg Glider Pilot
United States, TX, Weatherford
Joined Nov 2002
7,793 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcstalls View Post
No rudder plan on my last Magnum 12 yet could provide basic dimensions along with foggy pics, if that would help.
Anything would help. I'm planning on doing the NOS thang at next year's NATS. I gotta get some balsa dust on me... and soon... or I'll turn int a carbon fiber troll...

Maybe I already am... did over an hour with my Xploder 2 - 4M today...

Darth Carbonator... AKA Darth HawkDaddy... AKA... Aw heck, you-uns knows who I is!
schrederman is offline Find More Posts by schrederman
Old Aug 24, 2014, 08:56 PM
Central California
Joined Jan 2010
962 Posts
Rob,

Glad your ok. Those things are not fun when they're right next to you.

I lived in Mission Viejo when the Northridge quake hit. My spa looked like the Atlantic ocean when a Hurricane hits. A couple hours later the Big Bear quake hit. I was in the hall when it happened and had my hands on each side of the wall trying to stand up.

At the time I had a cabin in Big Bear five miles from the epicenter, built on the side of a slope. I couldn't get up there until the following day to check on things. In the A-frame section of the cabin we had a wood burning stove with a very tall vent going up to a large spark arrestor through the roof that weighed about 80-100 pounds. The quake shook it loose and the vent pipes and arrestor fell about 25 feet and landed about a foot in front of the couch. Dishes, food everything in the kitchen ended up in the floor.

I spent the following 4 nights at the cabin getting help and repairing the damage.
Those 4 nights were the scariest nights I've ever had. My wife was at home and I spent the 4 nights by myself. I slept fully clothed including my shoes. One leg on the floor and the rest of me in bed. You could almost time the after shocks as they came almost exactly every 15 minutes. Some of them you could her coming and others were just a rattling shock. I just knew my cabin was going to fall off it's foundation with me in it.

I bet it took me 6 months to get over that. Any little noise at night and I would jump up (what a pussy)

Don S. I want to build a 3M Chrysalis.......hurry up, I'm getting old.

Eddie
hog2soar is offline Find More Posts by hog2soar
Old Aug 24, 2014, 10:19 PM
Making wood fly since 2007
USA, MN, Rochester
Joined Mar 2008
2,506 Posts
Hi Eddie, Maybe you could talk Don into having you be a beta tester for a future kit. You have plenty of building skills and you have the time to built it. What do you say there Don, looking for Beta builders?

Wayne
Windependence is offline Find More Posts by Windependence
Old Aug 24, 2014, 10:24 PM
Dragons, Windmills. All Same.
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined May 2002
4,114 Posts
Sounds like quite a time Eddie.
I went through many a quake living in SoCal from 56 to 09

Jared
jcstalls is offline Find More Posts by jcstalls
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 24, 2014, 10:32 PM
United States, OH, Bradford
Joined Jun 2005
4,076 Posts
We tried beta builders on the Spectre VR. They didn't give us any direct feedback, didn't build the plane according to the instructions, then bad-mouthed the plane on a public forum without any discussion with us first, and blaming the plane for problems that were the result of their building mistakes. Kinda soured us on the whole idea.

BTW, I'm getting old, too. This year in particular has been an especially graphic reminder of that for me. What time I haven't spent on my day job has been spent in doctor's offices and hospitals. Forget what you hear on Faux News, if it were not for Obamacare, I would literally be dead now and my family would be bankrupt. No, that is absolutely NOT an exaggeration.

Fortunately those issues seem to be finally getting under control for the most part, but it has made it clear to me that none of us has an unlimited amount of time to accomplish the things we really wanted to do.
Don Stackhouse is online now Find More Posts by Don Stackhouse