HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 12, 2014, 01:02 AM
South Africa
Joined Jan 2010
477 Posts
Discussion
1/4 scale rider/dummy

Good day all

What are the weight of dirt bike rider/dummy`s on the market - have done a search and saw about 3 different rider`s, but they don`t include the weight. I want to send my ugly skyrc sr4 rider on pension. I got a rider from a friend, which came off a quad body that he bought for a monster truck - don`t know if it`s the hpi rider. Looks much better, but the problem is, my sr4 rider came in at 310g where the hpi rider are 340g. Now I know from experience on my venom gpv1 that if you can send your dummy on a diet, the bike handles a lot better. Also know I have a electronic gyro, which helps a lot. But I still think, the less weight on top, the better. So now I must choose between good looks and handling (Will rather then go with handling) or buy another dummy which may weigh less than the sr4 dummy and looks much better.
Bking1340 is offline Find More Posts by Bking1340
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 12, 2014, 11:14 AM
Kungsangen, Stockholm, Sweden
Sweden, Upplands-Bro Municipality
Joined Dec 2011
254 Posts
The lightest off road rider I know of, comes with the Anderson M5/ Duratrax 450.
Ugly, expensive and static limbs but very light indeed. It's Close to 1:4 scale, as he is a little bit too big for the 1:5. I wonder if the Himoto 1:4 is the same construction but bigger, or the same guy, for just that reason.
z_dad is offline Find More Posts by z_dad
Old Mar 12, 2014, 11:43 AM
South Africa
Joined Jan 2010
477 Posts
Is the venom/atomik rider made out of a soft sponge material, like the gpv1 rider or is it hard plastic?
Bking1340 is offline Find More Posts by Bking1340
Old Mar 12, 2014, 12:14 PM
RC Dirt Bike Action
California central coast
Joined Feb 2010
1,782 Posts
This is worth knowing so I could put it up on the website.

Im very surprised about those numbers for your SR4 rider. I wouldn't advise using the Anderson lexan rider. It looks no better first of all. Second, after a few bad tumbles the larger weight of a 1/4 bike will smash the lexan faster than it did on the 1/5 bike. Himoto mx400 did use the Anderson lexan rider on release but it appears they updated to same rider or similar rider of SR4.

I found 2 different people post that the Venom rider and Atomik rider are around .5 lb or 226gr. Surprisingly, the ARX rider (which was an old atv rider for a 1/10 kyosho or something), is still less weight at 260gr, according to Syncro in this post: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=2879

RIDERS and WEIGHTS:
----------------------------------
SkyRC SR4 = 310g plastic
Himoto MX400 (new version) = ? Sr4 weight ? plastic
VMX & MM450 = approx. 226gr foam
ARX540 (new) = approx. 260gr plastic
HPI (old ARX rider) = ? plastic
Stunt Steve (bigger version of HPI) = ? plastic
Ricky rider = ? plastic
JohnnyMc is offline Find More Posts by JohnnyMc
Old Mar 13, 2014, 02:24 AM
United Kingdom, Walsall
Joined Mar 2013
579 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bking1340 View Post
Is the venom/atomik rider made out of a soft sponge material, like the gpv1 rider or is it hard plastic?
The venom and atomik riders are both foam. Although the atomik rider is made from foam that is a bit stiffer.
Syncro is offline Find More Posts by Syncro
Old Mar 15, 2014, 02:08 AM
United Kingdom, Croydon
Joined Apr 2013
8 Posts
rider

hi the ricky c weighs 365grams! so it needs a diet! I like the venom , but they seem to loose their heads!, ive made a few 1/5 scale ones, one out of paper ( actually a parking ticket)! and pva, another as a ally mesh pushed into a mould of the rider figure then a latex rubber skin put on the outside... its very light...but fairly time consuming on the latex side....ill take a pic if you want..
vic
rccollector1 is offline Find More Posts by rccollector1
Old Mar 15, 2014, 05:19 AM
Kungsangen, Stockholm, Sweden
Sweden, Upplands-Bro Municipality
Joined Dec 2011
254 Posts
Is that...,ehh..., a latex...,ehh, -doll?
YES PICS!
z_dad is offline Find More Posts by z_dad
Old Mar 15, 2014, 06:42 AM
Australia, QLD, Burua
Joined Jul 2012
2,674 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by z_dad View Post
Is that...,ehh..., a latex...,ehh, -doll?
YES PICS!
lmao.
chktm is online now Find More Posts by chktm
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: More bike fun
Old Mar 16, 2014, 03:08 AM
United Kingdom, Croydon
Joined Apr 2013
8 Posts
hi re rider ideas

Hi z dad see my blog for pics, only way I could post them,hope it helps... any new ideas appreciated.!
vic
Old Mar 16, 2014, 06:02 AM
Joined Jan 2005
2,303 Posts
Try some foam mats the ones they sell at toy stores. I made a 1/5 hang on rider out this. Fairly easy to do and you can make the light as you want. At some point in my life I plan on putting my nitro ricky back together. I will make a foam rider for the bike.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=610204
Your gonna have to make the rider a little tougher to take some abuse. Maybe even glue his limbs together in place. But this is just an idea to maybe try.
swheels is offline Find More Posts by swheels
Old Mar 17, 2014, 06:27 PM
RC Motorcycles are fun Bobby
Australia, NSW, Royal National Park
Joined Sep 2013
308 Posts
Himoto Rider

Wish the SR4 rider had this paint job , I agree with your ' Darth Vader ' helmet comment , with a better helmet design this might be useable . " Use the dark force Vinnie , SSWWWHHH " " Vinnie , I am your father , SSWWWHHH "
King of the hill is online now Find More Posts by King of the hill
Last edited by King of the hill; Mar 18, 2014 at 05:16 AM.
Old Mar 17, 2014, 07:00 PM
RC Dirt Bike Action
California central coast
Joined Feb 2010
1,782 Posts
Demel, hobby knife, paint and stickers and you wouldn't even notice. Come on. Try dealing with the Anderson m5 big head then complain haha, that's some serious ugly.
Old Mar 18, 2014, 11:54 AM
United Kingdom, Croydon
Joined Apr 2013
8 Posts
rider

hi, there is the old kyosho 1/4+ often on german ebay for the kyosho 80 s bike , it weighs 130 grams, its expanded polystyrene... pic in my blog...
vic
Old Mar 21, 2014, 03:35 PM
Espaņa, CL, Ávila
Joined Sep 2008
560 Posts
Anybody knows the Duratrax rider weight?

I´m interested to save some weight up there and plan to leave Stunt Steve at the shelf if I found a lighter one...
trf_414_m2 is offline Find More Posts by trf_414_m2
Old Mar 21, 2014, 03:54 PM
RC Dirt Bike Action
California central coast
Joined Feb 2010
1,782 Posts
You do know the Duratrax rider is lexan right? I don't own the rider, but we are talking 10's of grams compared to hundreds, so its huge difference.