SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 19, 2012, 10:46 PM
Joined Aug 2012
176 Posts
Discussion
Aerobatic, 2m or less

I'm looking for some advice on some good 2m or smaller aerobatic gliders. i want something between 1.5-2m at a good price. I don't want to spend the money on a fully molded plane, just a good fun basher. The first planes that come to my mind are art hobby's agena or sky. The only things I would want out of this kind of plane is something fast and that holds that speed well, and of course something that can pull off some nice aerobatics.
txg8gxp is offline Find More Posts by txg8gxp
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 21, 2012, 02:34 PM
Michigan's Upper Peninsula
Joined Sep 2007
714 Posts
tx,

I see responses are lacking so I'll offer a few thoughts.

I really enjoy my Art Hobby planes, but I'm not much of an aerobat. Normally, a thermal rider so keep that in mind.

Some specifics: I fly two different models of the Sky, the 1.7m cross-tail and the 2.0m v-tail. I also fly the 1.2m Gamma. The Sky is definitely not an aerobat if you expect quick roll rates. They are very "lazy" in a roll. On the other hand, the Gamma will roll but it's pretty slow. These planes can do very tight, multiple loops without much speed. They can also fly some pretty tight spirals, enough to make the power guys take notice at my field as they whistle overhead.

Art Hobby used to offer the Hybrid at about 1.5m if I remember correctly. I recall that it had fairly large ailerons and I suspect quite aerobatic. You can get excellent information and advice by contacting Andre at Art Hobby. I have had consistently excellent service from Art Hobby and the quality of their planes is excellent.

Dave
Highride is offline Find More Posts by Highride
Old Nov 21, 2012, 03:54 PM
-----
Ireland, County Kerry, Kerry
Joined Dec 2005
6,961 Posts
Your'e posting this in the "Electric Sailplane" section: are you looking for an electric aerobatic plane?

Chris
Woodstock 1 is offline Find More Posts by Woodstock 1
Old Nov 21, 2012, 09:50 PM
Joined Aug 2012
176 Posts
Yes, I want to stick with electric. My flight field of choice doesnt have a winch/high start.
Old Nov 21, 2012, 10:17 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2,677 Posts
My Specter 1800 does lovely loops, rolls, and wing overs. And it still soars! I also have a ST Models' 2 meter foam ASW 28 that doesn't soar quite as well but looks great doing it. My 42 year old Windward won't roll but it loops well and performs wonderful spins. I'm going to go with a HobbyKing DG1000 for my next, relatively, fast and heavy scale aerobatic glider. It's a bit above 2 meters but, with flaps, it should be compatible with the trees around my field.

All sailplanes are capable of some aerobatics. The question is: do you want a glider with aerobatic potential or an aerobatic plane that can glide? Much of the room for argument is taken up around the boundaries of sailplanes and hotliners/warmliners. What, specifically, do you want?
peterlngh is online now Find More Posts by peterlngh
Old Nov 21, 2012, 11:14 PM
Joined Aug 2012
176 Posts
All I'm looking for is a glider that can hold it's speed well, fast roll rates and strong rudder control. With those 3 thing one should have no issues with aerobatic moves like, 4 or 8 point rolls, snap rolls, hammerheads, etc. I'm not looking for a 3d plane, I have those. I just want a fast fun glider/warmliner to kick around and show other pilots what gliders can really do.
Old Nov 22, 2012, 12:31 AM
Joined Nov 2012
190 Posts
Get an e Typhoon. It handles speeds, has full house controls (that means rudder), has some wicked sound and it's a great multipurpose glider.
Not too expensive either.
vil64 is offline Find More Posts by vil64
Old Nov 22, 2012, 09:35 AM
Joined Aug 2012
176 Posts
That looks like a great choice, It looks like it flys great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vil64 View Post
Get an e Typhoon. It handles speeds, has full house controls (that means rudder), has some wicked sound and it's a great multipurpose glider.
Not too expensive either.