1,345 Posts
Parchment paper is already in the list.
loNslo is offline Find More Posts by loNslo
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 17, 2012, 05:47 PM
United States, CA, Long Beach
Joined Sep 2011
837 Posts
Saran Wrap? This works great when working with CA. I like wax paper when working with wood glue.

Robert
kingconsulting is offline Find More Posts by kingconsulting
Old Oct 19, 2012, 08:49 AM
United States, NJ, Browns Mills
Joined May 2005
1,899 Posts
I think the Saran Wrap/waxed paper/Monokote backing/parchment paper for protecting plans is going to be a personal choice. I suggest all be considered, then let the user decide what he or she likes best.

BTW, I've been strictly a plastic ("Saran") wrap user for almost 40 years. I did use waxed paper fror a bit, but found the plastic wrap easier to see through and more resistant to glue bleed-through.

CD
Captain Dunsel is offline Find More Posts by Captain Dunsel
Old Oct 19, 2012, 09:13 AM
Promoting Model Aviation...
United States, CA, Tehachapi
Joined Nov 2005
25,095 Posts
Updated.

Have I missed anything?

Thanks,

Frank
Murocflyer is offline Find More Posts by Murocflyer
Old Oct 19, 2012, 09:33 AM
wood is good
United States, CA, Marina Del Rey
Joined Jun 2012
1,345 Posts
PermaGrit tools:
http://www.averytools.com/products.asp?dept=20

And rubber bands.
Old Oct 19, 2012, 09:36 AM
United States, FL, Edgewater
Joined Nov 2010
164 Posts
I have found many uses for a magnifying glass. Even with good eyes they still help! I like to use the ones mounted on a stand with a light.
no1isnormal is offline Find More Posts by no1isnormal
Old Oct 19, 2012, 09:46 AM
Promoting Model Aviation...
United States, CA, Tehachapi
Joined Nov 2005
25,095 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by loNslo View Post
PermaGrit tools:
http://www.averytools.com/products.asp?dept=20

And rubber bands.
Thanks! I really need to get some of those.

Quote:
Originally Posted by no1isnormal View Post
I have found many uses for a magnifying glass. Even with good eyes they still help! I like to use the ones mounted on a stand with a light.
Added. Good call.

Frank
Murocflyer is offline Find More Posts by Murocflyer
Old Oct 20, 2012, 11:41 AM
United States, IL, Joliet
Joined Jun 2009
3,426 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murocflyer View Post
Thanks! I really need to get some of those.

Added. Good call.

Frank
I had my set given to me by a old friend who is no longer with us and that was 12 or so years ago . They sand and work as good now after all this time with not any problems at all. I would recomend them to anyone and well worth the price they charge for the time they last .For tools and a new builder i was a carpenter for 29 years and when my guys broke their stanely tape measures i would have them throw them in my truck rather than the dumpster .I then cut them into pieces to use for my airplane scratch builds. What do you do when you want to measure a part in side your fuse and you have no room for a store bought tape? Easy cut you a small one out of old tape measures.This is Joe's cheap ars tip for the day .Lmao BTW dont mind the glue on my fingers . joe
cracksmeup is offline Find More Posts by cracksmeup
Last edited by cracksmeup; Oct 20, 2012 at 01:32 PM.
Old Oct 21, 2012, 12:46 AM
Addicted to building...
Omaha Nebraska
Joined Feb 2006
5,998 Posts
Q-tips, and the plastic ones also can be used twice when you need small diameter tubing for torque rod bearings, wire conduit, spacers, and so many other things. Combine some cocktail straws and you have pushrod tubes, machine gun barrels, splints, chemical transfer pipettes, and too many uses to name.

Fred
Freddie B is offline Find More Posts by Freddie B
Old Oct 21, 2012, 01:50 AM
Flying Low
United States, VA, Petersburg
Joined Mar 2012
603 Posts
If you are going for a good scale look and want to put the look of rivets on the airframe, use a syringe with the size needle you need for the size rivet you want. Fill it with just good old white glue and you are good to go. seen it done on numerous scale heli's and planes at the field.
cbarnes0061 is offline Find More Posts by cbarnes0061
Old Oct 21, 2012, 08:01 AM
United States, NJ, Browns Mills
Joined May 2005
1,899 Posts
Yes, they look dorky, but magnifying goggles are really handy. With them, you can keep your hands free. Depending on your vision, you may even be able to leave your glasses off whilst using them.

CD
Captain Dunsel is offline Find More Posts by Captain Dunsel
Old Oct 22, 2012, 09:01 AM
United States, IL, Joliet
Joined Jun 2009
3,426 Posts
Because iam so cheap, lets talk about buying those big tools in your shop . First i firm believer that most older tools are better than the new ones they sell and all my tools ,lamps ,magnifying lamps / cast iron vices /scroll saw /band saw/ table saw / drill press are from the 50's and 60's . I have bought these over the years from estate sales garage sales and auctions here and there . The last big tool i bought was my drill press ,it was bought at a auction and was from Amercan airlines . It is cast iron ,!950's wieghs a ton and has different speeds by hitting the button or i can change belts on it and get more speeds if i need to. I bought the drill press for 100 bucks and i think no one else there wanted to carry it out that night because of how heavy the dam thing is. Most of my better hand tools are from the fea market and are older than iam also and easy to find at a good sale. What iam getting at here is you dont have to spend alot of money to buy some great tools that will out live you and your kids if bought right . joe
cracksmeup is offline Find More Posts by cracksmeup
Old Oct 22, 2012, 10:10 AM
Redacted per NSA "suggestion"
United States, VA, Virginia Beach
Joined Feb 2012
5,442 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cracksmeup View Post
Because iam so cheap, lets talk about buying those big tools in your shop . First i firm believer that most older tools are better than the new ones they sell and all my tools ,lamps ,magnifying lamps / cast iron vices /scroll saw /band saw/ table saw / drill press are from the 50's and 60's . I have bought these over the years from estate sales garage sales and auctions here and there . The last big tool i bought was my drill press ,it was bought at a auction and was from Amercan airlines . It is cast iron ,!950's wieghs a ton and has different speeds by hitting the button or i can change belts on it and get more speeds if i need to. I bought the drill press for 100 bucks and i think no one else there wanted to carry it out that night because of how heavy the dam thing is. Most of my better hand tools are from the fea market and are older than iam also and easy to find at a good sale. What iam getting at here is you dont have to spend alot of money to buy some great tools that will out live you and your kids if bought right . joe
I just ran across a drill press yesterday at a local thrift store, had to have been at least 40 years old they only wanted $50 for it. Had I the space I would have walked out with it.
dedStik is online now Find More Posts by dedStik
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: More Confessions of a Smoker
Old Oct 22, 2012, 10:42 AM
Addicted to building...
Omaha Nebraska
Joined Feb 2006
5,998 Posts
Drill press for $50.00 sounds like you could at least find somewhere to put it! Most valuable tool if you don't want a lathe!

I have a drill press, 2 lathes and they date just prior to WWII. 1939 to be exact. That's 73 years old! Wow now I fell old. Two of them the gentleman lucked out and bought them new just before all equipment was destined to be used for the war effort. Still rock solid and work as if they were new. The lathes are the best thing going. A lathe is the only tool that can completely make itself, only at a smaller scale. Old automobiles had so many things made strictly from castings and a lathe. Henry Ford must have been a potential scratch builder, LOL.

Watch for those widows and kids unloading treasures that they know nothing about. Pennies on the dollar I'll bet.

Fred
Freddie B is offline Find More Posts by Freddie B
Old Oct 22, 2012, 11:10 AM
wood is good
United States, CA, Marina Del Rey
Joined Jun 2012
1,345 Posts
Since we're talking about larger tools, here is an old Delta scroll saw I picked up from the original owner off craigslist for $75. It is extremely heavy duty cast iron construction and came with its original stand and work light; it has variable speed with a strokes-per-minutes digital readout!