HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 23, 2011, 02:31 PM
are we there yet?
USA, AZ, Surprise
Joined May 2004
1,238 Posts
Discussion
Arizona DLG Happenings

Some of us thought it would be a good idea to start a thread for flying in AZ that is not specific to the Chandler Bowl.

Here are a few places I have flown at.

Phoenix
Chandler Bowl
CASL Field (park only on Rosevelt and don't block access to the water tanks)
Coyote Basin
Basin in MesaThere are 3 basins, the one on the far right is for a local Heli club only. The middle one is where I fly and the one on the left is usually occupied by electrics. Thanks J2M2T2 (note there are frequency restrictions for 72mhz at this site, see post #10 for information)
Surprise Field Gliders only.

Tucson
Maxwell Middle School
SAGE Field
YMCA Field off N Mona Lisa Rd

I am working on getting in front of the parks and rec people in Surprise to get approval to fly at a few nice parks in Surprise.

Surprise Parks - There are three fields in this link. the one on the left fenced off now, the city has not finished the park there yet. the other two are mostly grass with walking paths around them. the one on the right looks big enough to me to fly at. The problem is it is posted no RC Aircraft.

I know there are more places that people fly in the Phoenix area. Please add more flying sites in your area, anywhere in Arizona.
Alan C is offline Find More Posts by Alan C
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Alan C; Sep 10, 2012 at 09:28 AM. Reason: added links
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 23, 2011, 02:50 PM
USA, AZ, Phoenix
Joined Apr 2010
220 Posts
Woot good start of the list Alan Good luck with the parks in Surprise, if ya get one set up, I may have to take a short road trip.
silentwarrior is offline Find More Posts by silentwarrior
Old Jul 23, 2011, 03:35 PM
Team ATX Pilot
Phx. Az.
Joined Nov 2004
1,311 Posts
Sweet I like the idea. I was great flying with you and Greg and the park this morning, I was happy to see Greg improving so well. He's going very good in time. We needed a place to represent AZ, good call on this forum. Go team AZ!

Donnie
dbone is offline Find More Posts by dbone
Old Jul 23, 2011, 04:16 PM
Joined Jan 2007
4,749 Posts
I dlg at the YMCA field around the corner from where I live here in Tucson. Also a group of us fly at Maxwell School, about 2mile's west of Silverbell on Anklam in down town Tucson weekend's. Then there's SAGE club field, you must be AMA to fly there. I slope off "A" mountain AKA Sentinel Peak Park that's also located in down town Tucson.
prodjx is offline Find More Posts by prodjx
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 23, 2011, 05:17 PM
are we there yet?
USA, AZ, Surprise
Joined May 2004
1,238 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by prodjx View Post
I dlg at the YMCA field around the corner from where I live here in Tucson. Also a group of us fly at Maxwell School, about 2mile's west of Silverbell on Anklam in down town Tucson weekend's. Then there's SAGE club field, you must be AMA to fly there. I slope off "A" mountain AKA Sentinel Peak Park that's also located in down town Tucson.
Which YMCA in Tucson? ill add a google maps link. I added Maxwell School and SAGE.

Thanks
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 23, 2011, 07:37 PM
Where is the lift?
USA, AZ, Phoenix
Joined Nov 2005
6,404 Posts
Lurking!

Charlie
cptsnoopy is online now Find More Posts by cptsnoopy
Old Jul 24, 2011, 02:14 AM
Joined Jan 2007
4,749 Posts
The YMCA off of Mona Lisa, it's basically around the corner from the Foothills' Mall.
prodjx is offline Find More Posts by prodjx
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 24, 2011, 09:33 AM
AZ
Joined Feb 2007
542 Posts
This Basin in Mesa is minutes from my house for early AM flights. There are 3 basins, the one on the far right is for a local Heli club only. The middle one is where I fly and the one on the left is usually occupied by electrics.
j2m2t2 is offline Find More Posts by j2m2t2
Last edited by j2m2t2; Jul 24, 2011 at 01:48 PM.
Old Jul 24, 2011, 04:05 PM
are we there yet?
USA, AZ, Surprise
Joined May 2004
1,238 Posts
Thanks for the info I have added them to the first post.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 24, 2011, 07:39 PM
hass-alfed and bass-ackwards
United States, AZ, Chandler
Joined Jun 2008
5,302 Posts
FWIW, that basin near the old GM Proving grounds has frequency restrictions for those on 72mhz because of the WingNutz field to the west, and the Heli field to the east.

An excerpt from one of CRXMANPAT's posts:

"Basin 116

Located on Elliot Rd between Signal Butte and Ellsworth. It is the retention basin furthest west on the north side of Elliot. Flying permit is maintained by the Arizona Wingnutz (www.azwingnutz.org).

Rules - Fixed-wing electric only, AMA required (but not club membership). No flying if the field is already otherwise in use by another group, but the permit is valid 365 days during park hours. If flying operations are underway, another group can't force us out. If there is a conflict for use, we are permitted to use Basin 115 (to the east of 116) during the conflict only.

The only freqs authorized are all 27MHz channels, channels 11-35 on 72MHz and any 2.4GHz. Flying on FM channels 36-60 is NOT permitted as that range is assigned to SRCHA in Basin 114, the furthest east basin on Elliot. Basin 114 is for helicopter flying only."

Pat's a good guy, and I believe he started AZWingnutz, including the AMA charter, negotiating with the city on park usage, etc.

If you guys fly here, please abide by the "rules" posted by Pat in this old thread:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...60&postcount=1
carlsoti is online now Find More Posts by carlsoti
Last edited by carlsoti; Jul 24, 2011 at 07:53 PM.
Old Jul 24, 2011, 07:43 PM
Where is the lift?
USA, AZ, Phoenix
Joined Nov 2005
6,404 Posts
Remember to keep an eye out for aircraft in the pattern at Gateway. You will have a 400' ceiling that close to an airport. Not a big deal usually but good to keep in mind.

Charlie
cptsnoopy is online now Find More Posts by cptsnoopy
Old Jul 24, 2011, 09:16 PM
AZ
Joined Feb 2007
542 Posts
Thanks carlsoti for the info. So far everyone including the dog walkers have been friendly. Another reason to like DLG.
j2m2t2 is offline Find More Posts by j2m2t2
Old Jul 25, 2011, 10:03 AM
Yes..ok..maybe..lol.....
Tucson Avra Valley, Arizona, United States
Joined Jul 2004
5,728 Posts
Arizona Dlg contest schedule:
July 30th at the Sage Field...7am pilots meeting
October 1 at the Sage Field...7am pilot's meeting..... and the big one:

Blue Skies over Arizona November 5th and 6th up in Eloy,AZ

Please sign up!!
-Dave
shhhhh! is offline Find More Posts by shhhhh!
Old Jul 25, 2011, 08:24 PM
Thermal, where art thou?
Joined Oct 2005
2,724 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shhhhh! View Post
Arizona Dlg contest schedule:
July 30th at the Sage Field...7am pilots meeting
October 1 at the Sage Field...7am pilot's meeting..... and the big one:

Blue Skies over Arizona November 5th and 6th up in Eloy,AZ

Please sign up!!
-Dave
Food for Thought:

Not all of us can travel to the Blue Skies over CO or UT, mostly due to time or budget restrictions, so there's a big honkin' hole between the 7/30 and 10/1 Beat The Heat contests.

C'mon, that's 2 full months!

Who thinks we should have at least one local DLG fun fly / contest during that time? I can provide scorecards, audio, and post-contest compilation of scores.

BavarianCharles is offline Find More Posts by BavarianCharles
Old Jul 25, 2011, 08:39 PM
are we there yet?
USA, AZ, Surprise
Joined May 2004
1,238 Posts
Charles that has been discussed offline and something will be happening in that window.
RCG Plus Member