HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 28, 2011, 03:02 PM
My job ate my life
Canada, BC, Campbell River
Joined Nov 2004
65 Posts
Bad battery, you say? I'll check it out. Anyone know if 2 160mah's paralleled together work well? I only have the one 250mah to use right know, but I have a truckload of 160 turnigy nano-techs, and I can rig up a parallel harness easy enough.
Free Beer is offline Find More Posts by Free Beer
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 28, 2011, 03:31 PM
F18
United States, MA, Onset
Joined Apr 2008
233 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Free Beer View Post
Bad battery, you say? I'll check it out. Anyone know if 2 160mah's paralleled together work well? I only have the one 250mah to use right know, but I have a truckload of 160 turnigy nano-techs, and I can rig up a parallel harness easy enough.
Guys are already flying this thing with the parallel battery rig you are talking about.
And if you already have the batteries it would be worth the test. I had figured out that my original 250mAh battery was corrupted somehow when I just so happened to bench test with one fully charged 160mAh and all the throttle problems and servo glitches went away like magic! So then I bought new 250s and I have not had a problem since.

So it is worth a try!
F18 is offline Find More Posts by F18
Last edited by F18; Jun 28, 2011 at 04:16 PM.
Old Jun 28, 2011, 05:33 PM
If in doubt, add accelerant
United Kingdom, England, Stansted Mountfitchet
Joined May 2007
1,825 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chulian1819 View Post
Im sick of this planes ailerons!! the right one keepts failing!!!!!HELP! what to do?
Failing in what way? If it is sticking at full throws you should open up the nacelle and check for dirt on the teeth of the gears, then apply a touch of lubrication - that should get it going.
Lberry.88 is offline Find More Posts by Lberry.88
Old Jun 28, 2011, 07:33 PM
United States, GA, Grayson
Joined Mar 2008
508 Posts
Nacelle replacement?

Hey fellas. Well, I have ended up busting up both nacelles pretty good on my Skeeter and would like to replace them. What is the best way to separate it from the wing? It looks as simple as running a hobby knife between it and the wing, but I thought I would ask before I screw something up. Any advice appreciated
tripleup05 is offline Find More Posts by tripleup05
Old Jun 29, 2011, 09:43 AM
Joined May 2007
1,825 Posts
Hobby knife along the wing is the way forward there, just take your time - if they are anything like trying to replace the wing on a T-28 or P-51 etc then you wont get the nacelle off in one piece, but so long as you have replacements then you're rocking!
Old Jun 29, 2011, 09:54 AM
Joined May 2007
1,825 Posts
Ok guys, just been back from putting a few batteries through the Mosquito. During the third flight, at about 4 mins i was pulling some loops and the motors cut. Fortunately I had a fair bit of altitude and was able to recover and glide her in - I had full control movement. When I got here down I tried the motors again and they work. It would appear that I'd hit LVC. But after only 4 mins of pretty laid back flying?

I was using an overlander mcp-x battery with a micro plug on it, rated to 26C and fully charged. Do you think that having the motors at full throttle and applyiying full up elevator could have caused voltage sag enough to hit LVC?
Old Jun 29, 2011, 02:50 PM
F18
United States, MA, Onset
Joined Apr 2008
233 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lberry.88 View Post
Ok guys, just been back from putting a few batteries through the Mosquito. During the third flight, at about 4 mins i was pulling some loops and the motors cut. Fortunately I had a fair bit of altitude and was able to recover and glide her in - I had full control movement. When I got here down I tried the motors again and they work. It would appear that I'd hit LVC. But after only 4 mins of pretty laid back flying?

I was using an overlander mcp-x battery with a micro plug on it, rated to 26C and fully charged. Do you think that having the motors at full throttle and applyiying full up elevator could have caused voltage sag enough to hit LVC?
I am sure others will chime in.....but yes! I can start with 3 new identical batteries and each will have slightly different run times until LVC under full load. And its especially evident with the Mossie with two motors drawing current and working 4 servos. The battery which is fully encapsulated in the nose will generally overheat under sustained full throttle which drops the capacity/efficiency even more. A sustained load and the heat will quickly identify the best and the worst batteries. Batteries with a shorter run time in the Mossie I mark with a red Sharpie pen!
Last edited by F18; Jun 29, 2011 at 03:26 PM.
Old Jun 29, 2011, 03:31 PM
Medellín, Colombia
Joined Apr 2010
333 Posts
Quote:
Failing in what way? If it is sticking at full throws you should open up the nacelle and check for dirt on the teeth of the gears, then apply a touch of lubrication - that should get it going.
Thanks berry for the tip, will try it out and let you know if it works :P hope it does!
chulian1819 is offline Find More Posts by chulian1819
Old Jun 29, 2011, 03:37 PM
Joined May 2007
1,825 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by F18 View Post
The battery which is fully encapsulated in the nose will generally overheat under sustained full throttle
Yeah i have definately noticed the heat of these micro batteries compared to the ones exposed on the bellies of the previous UMs.

Quote:
A sustained load and the heat will quickly identify the best and the worst batteries. Batteries with a shorter run time in the Mossie I mark with a red Sharpie pen!
I have mine numbered. I have a spreadsheet flight log that includes battery number and flight times, so Ill be able to build up significant data about the best and worst ones.
Old Jun 29, 2011, 04:17 PM
F18
United States, MA, Onset
Joined Apr 2008
233 Posts
Quote:
Yeah i have definately noticed the heat of these micro batteries compared to the ones exposed on the bellies of the previous UMs.

I have mine numbered. I have a spreadsheet flight log that includes battery number and flight times, so Ill be able to build up significant data about the best and worst ones.
Yeah....thats the way I do it...maybe not so refined. You will end up with a collection of prime batteries for the Mossie. And the ones that are marginal....just use them in a single motor UM like the P51 and T-28 and they will perform just fine under the lighter load.

Cheers
Last edited by F18; Jun 29, 2011 at 08:10 PM.
Old Jun 29, 2011, 09:11 PM
Eugene, Oregon
Joined Feb 2011
600 Posts
I have a simple spiral notebook "flight log"

All of my battries are numbered.

Everytime I fly I make an entry which includes:

Airplane name
Date, wind velocity and temperature
Battery number flown and length of flight (to nearest 15 seconds)

after returning home I use a Hobby King HK-010 to measure and record for each battery:

% of capacity remaining
overall voltage
voltage of each cell

It is easy to spot the stronger/weaker batteries and determine flight times for various airplane/battery/temperature combinations,
allelectrik is online now Find More Posts by allelectrik
Old Jun 30, 2011, 12:42 AM
Electric baptism 1975
Vernon, BC, Canada
Joined Dec 2000
2,897 Posts
Those who replaced the guns with WD40 tube. Did you leave the tubes open? If there is an air exit it should allow a SMALL amount of air thru. Do you notice any difference in battery temp?
DavidN is offline Find More Posts by DavidN
Old Jun 30, 2011, 04:10 AM
Joined May 2007
1,825 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidN View Post
Those who replaced the guns with WD40 tube. Did you leave the tubes open? If there is an air exit it should allow a SMALL amount of air thru. Do you notice any difference in battery temp?
That could be a very clever way to get some airflow, but the guns are placed below the level of the battery, in front of the foam battery tray so airflow wouldn't be optimal.
Old Jun 30, 2011, 04:19 AM
Our main weapon is surprise...
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Aug 2006
2,910 Posts
Quote:
That could be a very clever way to get some airflow, but the guns are placed below the level of the battery, in front of the foam battery tray so airflow wouldn't be optimal.
My goodness guys .. are you seriously thinking that ANY airflow would result in a 1mm hole ... Really ... Nice thought but NOT gonna happen!
Rowdy_b64 is online now Find More Posts by Rowdy_b64
Old Jun 30, 2011, 09:37 AM
F18
United States, MA, Onset
Joined Apr 2008
233 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidN View Post
Yes I left the tubes open....only because I thought it made it look more like a real gun barrel.

The LiPo Battery would need a copious amount of airflow to keep the heat in check. A pin hole in the nose won't do it plus the Mossie fuselage is a dead air space with no venting in the back to induce air flow through it. The batteries were not getting that noticeably warm when I flew this winter....so I did not think about it.
But....with the summer temps.....Wow... these batteries can get hot!
I am just waiting for a LiPO to fizzle and erupt into flames and send my Mossie down on fire. I hope I have the camera rolling if that happens!
Last edited by F18; Jun 30, 2011 at 11:50 AM.