SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 03, 2015, 06:25 PM
Coldwater, Mi. USA
Joined Jul 2000
882 Posts
Discussion
Freewing F-16, 90mm builds, mods, and everything else

I got mine KIT + from RC Castle last week - includes servos. no fan, esc or motor,
I've ordered another from Motion RC PNP --just because

Jetfan 90
HET 700-60-2085
HK Bolt 4.35V, 6 cell lipo 5300mah
Talon 120hv ESC
around 3000 watts

Shortened tailcone to get 80mm exhaust outlet vs. stock 75mm outlet, in expectation of higher power system. -But maybe not necessary
Made new thrust tube for outlet change
I like to cut off Freewing inlet rings and place them on my Jetfan shrouds, this helps to ensure smooth airflow inside Freewing fuselage ductings.

3 flights so far, all off grass, full throttle well over 100mph.
Using flaperons,
It really doesn't need much more power in the air, but I'll probably up the cell count and go lower KV to get longer flights.
The AOA on take-off is rather flat and I was really going fast prior to being able to rotate. --I plan to work on this.

I had some issues w/ p.c. board and the Castle Talon as it outputs voltage from both radio leads.
The stock Hobbywing 130 w/ 8A ubec only put power out of the ubec lead.
Anyways, the p.c board didn't seem to like power out of both leads.
Luckly, no smoke, just a slow start (head scratch) on radio set-up.

It's a keeper for sure, with a surprisingly long glide ratio.
The landing gear are awesome and quite robust as my 1rst flight really stressed them. 2nd and 3rd were quite smooth.
As with other Freewing models, I prefer my CG forward of their recommendations. At 118mm it felt rather tail heavy and over sensitive

-DG

ps. If using Bolt HV 4.35 type batteries don't use Auto-Lipo on the ESC, it will mistake a 6 cell pack for a 7 cell pack.
Dave Grife is offline Find More Posts by Dave Grife
Last edited by Dave Grife; Jan 03, 2015 at 06:45 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 03, 2015, 06:40 PM
Joined Dec 2013
3,942 Posts
Nice job Dave.... I made it simpler for myself regarding the shroud.... I had a couple of Freewing shrouds with lip leftover from projects & just installed a Wemo Evo 90 / 1600kv onto it... Perfect fit... I find with 8s it has more than enough grunt...With the 75mm outlet I have no complaints as to the thrust... On 4000mah I'm getting 3 mins with 3.8v per cell leftover.... Keeping battery size down to minimise weight on front struts on grass.
HellHathNoFury is online now Find More Posts by HellHathNoFury
Last edited by HellHathNoFury; Jan 03, 2015 at 06:47 PM.
Old Jan 03, 2015, 07:55 PM
Denver, CO
Joined Nov 2007
1,316 Posts
--Now we start having some fun
G-Forse is offline Find More Posts by G-Forse
Old Jan 03, 2015, 08:29 PM
Coldwater, Mi. USA
Joined Jul 2000
882 Posts
Hi Hell & G

Hell, That's great that your Wemotec Evo dropped in so smoothly, I've used them quite a bit in the past. At this time I really prefer Jetfan because I can get them running really smoothly in minutes instead of hours.
I look forward to seeing a nice Evo set-up soon (Jet-Jam 2015)

Winter has arrived to Michigan, but I'm very happy to have gone 2 out of 3 for good flights on the F-16.
I'm probably done till March.

The 1rst flight my CG was 117mm and the plane had a divergent tendency----nothing felt good. -very awkward -
I was using minimal throw recommendations with some expo too.
My ESC hit low voltage early because of the HV 4.35V confussion and that was not good either.

2nd flight @ 112mm seemed much more comfortable to me----groovy -- good tracking-
Bummer only the 1rst flight was videoed
bad start f-16 (3 min 29 sec)

ps. about 6 hours of repair between 1rst flight and 2nd and 3rd. I'm quite familiar with the entire structure now !!!
Old Jan 03, 2015, 08:54 PM
Joined Dec 2013
3,942 Posts
One good thing about the F-16 setup.. It's nice & simple ... Everything is readily accessible. With the Wemo Evo fan I just hooked up the motor & it balanced perfectly... The fan is supposed to be balanced to 0.001gm. At least have no vibration when throttled right up ... Sweet sounding when throttling up.......with the 4000mah 8s I started at 123mm for cog & it had a tendency to dip hard when banking though in flight it seemed level so I am working my way back with the batteries to lessen nose heavy tendency... That's what I deduce it to be...One thing you certainly proved in that video is nothing wrong with the landing gear on grass...lol.. Also who said the F-16 can't take off from grass.. So you felt CG forward flew better???
Last edited by HellHathNoFury; Jan 03, 2015 at 09:07 PM.
Old Jan 03, 2015, 08:58 PM
Do it Right, the first time!
United States, MN, Hermantown
Joined Dec 2008
6,142 Posts
Very nice.. I was marveling at the lack of snow!
CoolerByTheLake is offline Find More Posts by CoolerByTheLake
Last edited by CoolerByTheLake; Jan 04, 2015 at 12:03 AM.
Old Jan 03, 2015, 09:38 PM
Coldwater, Mi. USA
Joined Jul 2000
882 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HellHathNoFury View Post
Also who said the F-16 can't take off from grass.. So you felt CG forward flew better???
Yes, I preferred it forward, (mine was pitching all over the place on 1rst flight), but it could boil down to personal preference as we talking 1/4" to 1/2" (5mm to 12mm)

What do you guys think of the rather extensive printed circuit board?????

At first I was rather ambivalent, but when I began to have set-up issues w/ my Castle Talon I became rather concerned.
It's difficult to work around it
I guess its cheaper for Freewing than individual separate light modules, gear door sequencers, and afterburner modules all packed into the fuse.
It seems rather delicate and I may try to make an acetate cover to protect the wiring from accidental unplugging.

Yeah Cooler, I just barely got my 2nd/3rd flights in hours before the weather went to hell here too.
But luckily, they were smooth with no repairs required after

-DG
Old Jan 03, 2015, 09:45 PM
Western New York
Joined Dec 2007
1,175 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Grife View Post
I got mine KIT + from RC Castle last week - includes servos. no fan, esc or motor,
I've ordered another from Motion RC PNP --just because

Jetfan 90
HET 700-60-2085
HK Bolt 4.35V, 6 cell lipo 5300mah
Talon 120hv ESC
around 3000 watts

Shortened tailcone to get 80mm exhaust outlet vs. stock 75mm outlet, in expectation of higher power system. -But maybe not necessary
Made new thrust tube for outlet change
I like to cut off Freewing inlet rings and place them on my Jetfan shrouds, this helps to ensure smooth airflow inside Freewing fuselage ductings.

3 flights so far, all off grass, full throttle well over 100mph.
Using flaperons,
It really doesn't need much more power in the air, but I'll probably up the cell count and go lower KV to get longer flights.
The AOA on take-off is rather flat and I was really going fast prior to being able to rotate. --I plan to work on this.

I had some issues w/ p.c. board and the Castle Talon as it outputs voltage from both radio leads.
The stock Hobbywing 130 w/ 8A ubec only put power out of the ubec lead.
Anyways, the p.c board didn't seem to like power out of both leads.
Luckly, no smoke, just a slow start (head scratch) on radio set-up.

It's a keeper for sure, with a surprisingly long glide ratio.
The landing gear are awesome and quite robust as my 1rst flight really stressed them. 2nd and 3rd were quite smooth.
As with other Freewing models, I prefer my CG forward of their recommendations. At 118mm it felt rather tail heavy and over sensitive

-DG

ps. If using Bolt HV 4.35 type batteries don't use Auto-Lipo on the ESC, it will mistake a 6 cell pack for a 7 cell pack.
Just a couple of questions where did you get the thrust tubes? Second with your set up you had plenty of power to pull it out of the grass did you have any problems with the cheater holes plugging?
Thanks
eli5539 is offline Find More Posts by eli5539
Old Jan 03, 2015, 09:48 PM
Joined Dec 2013
3,942 Posts
I had the same issue as you on my maiden... Never felt comfortable with it in flight & pitchy... Best part of the maiden was the ease of landing . The control module I can take it or leave it... Just has a factor.. I'd have to agree that plugging the Bec& throttle lead was a bit of a pain with not much room to work with ... I'm sure some of you guys will be inventingwords trying to plug them in...
Old Jan 03, 2015, 09:56 PM
Joined Dec 2013
3,942 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eli5539 View Post
Just a couple of questions where did you get the thrust tubes? Second with your set up you had plenty of power to pull it out of the grass did you have any problems with the cheater holes plugging?
Thanks
I have a screen over the bottom cheater... No issue on grass ... You still have the 2 side ones to provide extra vent if needed.
Old Jan 19, 2015, 11:58 AM
United States, NC, Greenville
Joined Mar 2012
26 Posts
Eli5539, See my post in the other F-16 forum on grass issues. I didn't want to post it here... not sure if it's related enough.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=4721
Barron06 is offline Find More Posts by Barron06