HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by The Don, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jan 21, 2015, 09:38 PM
Wonderfully Wicked
Willoughby, Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
13,370 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by alpea 41 View Post
I would like a economical med. power unit to run on a 2200ma 3s 30c hobby people li-po.. But with the option of increasing to a 4s 40 c li-po when and if I feel the " NEED FOR SPEED"
Your recommendation is appreciated. And to conserve on shipping I think I want to order these things together. I have various ESCs available from Detrum 30s & 40s to Fly Fun 40 s H K Plush 50s 60s all the way up to Castle Phoenix Ice 100s. If I want 2K watts in the future... Yeah Right
The problem with a setup that is 3S or 4S is that the watts jump by a factor of 1.8-2.0 so a 300 watt 3S setup will suddenly become around 550-600 watts on 4S from the lipo change. The Wicked 4800 in the 64mm EDO fan on 3S 2200 is what I would suggest for your lipo (a guy at my flying field has this setup) . If you ran that 4800 KV on 4S then watts would go up to around 750 watts which will fry the motor and would require a 60 amp ESC. So then if you look at my 600 watt 4S setup, dropping to 3S will give around 300 watts which is OK but would fly better on a 3S1800 or 1600mah to keep the weight down.

The only setup that will truly perform OK on 3S and 4S would be the Wicked Plus 4000 KV in the HET 6404 fan. On 4S it is about 800 watts, on 3S about 450 watts. The drawback is that you will need a 60 amp ESC which is heavier than the 40 amp and the Wicked Plus motor and HET fan weight more than the regular Wicked motor and EDO fan so when flying on 3S you are carrying the bigger ESC and heavier motor fan unit.

I usually tell people to just decide upfront 3S or 4S. Having a dual setup means you have to compromise somewhere. An optimized 3S setup (wicked 4800 in EDO) will fry on 4S, the optimized 4S Wicked 4000 on 3S will be like a "stock" 3S 64mm system which may not be to fun to fly, the HET combo for max speed on 4S will be heavier when flown on 3S due to heavier components to handle 4S.

Don
The Don is offline Find More Posts by The Don
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 23, 2015, 10:29 AM
check for reversed controls
United States, CA, Chino
Joined Oct 2007
11,163 Posts
very well explained Don
thank you
alpea 41 is online now Find More Posts by alpea 41
Old Jan 23, 2015, 04:53 PM
I make bad look so good.
League City, Texas
Joined Sep 2006
2,591 Posts
Don,

On your testing of the HET 6404 you posted the Wicked Plus 4000 on 3S and 4S. What does the Wicked Plus 4400 look like on 3S in that fan? I read the statement about the 4400 on 4S in that fan but couldn't find any data on 3S.
SteveC68 is offline Find More Posts by SteveC68
Old Jan 23, 2015, 05:12 PM
Wonderfully Wicked
Willoughby, Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
13,370 Posts
My guess would be around 550 watts at ~50 amps.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 27, 2015, 09:09 AM
Joined Mar 2014
4 Posts
Hey don,
I have a couple of stinger 64, I would like to upgrade the stock 4s. I run 2200 4s pack and just thought that I could move up to a HET 6404 fan unit without changing anything else?
Maybe a thrust tube to help out on the top end but save up for the 4000 wicked plus/ 60 amp speed controller. I know I need the 3mm adaptor to mate up to the stock 3500KV motor but is this something worth while? Hard to justify spending more on upgrades than the original plane. Speed is expensive, how fast you wanna go....
stinkyfartur is offline Find More Posts by stinkyfartur
Old Jan 27, 2015, 06:14 PM
Wonderfully Wicked
Willoughby, Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
13,370 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stinkyfartur View Post
Hey don,
I have a couple of stinger 64, I would like to upgrade the stock 4s. I run 2200 4s pack and just thought that I could move up to a HET 6404 fan unit without changing anything else?
Maybe a thrust tube to help out on the top end but save up for the 4000 wicked plus/ 60 amp speed controller. I know I need the 3mm adaptor to mate up to the stock 3500KV motor but is this something worth while? Hard to justify spending more on upgrades than the original plane. Speed is expensive, how fast you wanna go....
I know nothing about the stock power system so don't know if it a thrust tube will help or not, guess you can always try and if not take it back out. Tubes can add about 5-8 mph in general on a 64mm EDF. I do have some 3mm collets for the HET fan if you want to buy a fan to try. Unfortunately I have no idea what watts you will get with the stock motor in a HET fan nor if the stock motor will handle those watts in the HET fan. The fans sold on my website are intended to be used in conjunction with the Wicked series of EDF motors in the combos I have listed in the beginning of this thread as I have done testing on those setups and proved them out as valid combinations. So I do not know how they will work with other motors, if I say yes the HET fan should work and then the motor burns out after 3 or 4 flights then I am the bad guy for saying it was OK. So I don't like to recommend things I have not tested or have knowledge of.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by The Don; Jan 27, 2015 at 06:23 PM.
Old Jan 27, 2015, 08:32 PM
What Goes Up...Must Come Down
United States, NC, Oak Island
Joined Jan 2013
1,163 Posts
Hey StinkyFartur...speed is expensive, but the best money spent is on the proven setup, of which Don has proven many! Having a number of "Don's"setups in my birds, and ALL of them are my favorites to fly because they do everything I want them to...and more! The real question is, do you want your particular airframe to perform to your true desire without question...and what is that worth? Airframes are cheap...just like the real ones...it's the motors and electronics that make them expensive...great performance does cost a bit more than OK performance :-) Don just takes the guess work out of it.
Thanks Don! :-)
abjets is offline Find More Posts by abjets
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: SA F-18 50MM Build
Old Jan 27, 2015, 09:57 PM
Joined Mar 2014
4 Posts
Need for speed

Hey Don and company,
thanks for the quick reply, I guessed the feedback would be something similar to what I read. I absolutely agree with the premise that it is nice to utilize a system that has been tested and is tried and a true performer. I also love to tweak, it is probably my favorite part of the hobby, I love to fly but I am a better builder/ craftsman than pilot which brings me to my next point. It is very difficult for me to pilot a craft that jumps from 60 something to 100 and something. I like to creep up on the speed because I have no self control, if my aircraft is capable of going 120, I will pull the trigger and see what she will do, usually before I am capable of handling the situation. I just thought that getting the HET fan unit would be a good jumping off point considering that is the direction I eventually will be heading.
IE the head splitting, mind numbing speed setup with the wicked plus 4000 /60 amp esc and HET fan.
I assume the stock power plant will not last long but I have not use for it after I upgrade anyway so what the hey.
Old Jan 27, 2015, 10:42 PM
Joined Jan 2013
1,163 Posts
Just set your throttle to 70% max ... and slowly increase
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 28, 2015, 02:12 PM
check for reversed controls
United States, CA, Chino
Joined Oct 2007
11,163 Posts
Too bad that throttle curve isn't on a rate "switch".

I thought I was setting a throttle ceiling limit one day but it was with the receiver on, only later did I discover that to be able to set a throttle end point below 100 or 150 you have to do it with the air craft receiver off. So that you can put the throttle stick to W O T and then decrease the rate %number down to 70 or 80. I only went W O T briefly and didn't fry the 20 A esc that I was pumping 30 A thru at W O .
alpea 41 is online now Find More Posts by alpea 41
Old Jan 28, 2015, 04:20 PM
Joined Mar 2014
4 Posts
AHHHH HAAAAAA
I totally forgot about changing the throttle limit, such great advice.
Now this is what I really like about these forums, sounds really stupid but I didn't
even think of that.
Old Jan 28, 2015, 04:39 PM
Wonderfully Wicked
Willoughby, Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
13,370 Posts
Just be careful doing throttle limiting when using an undersized ESC. The ESC always sees full throttle amps, just the time the FET gates are open is more or less depending on throttle position as it is pulse width modulated.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 28, 2015, 04:39 PM
Joined Jan 2013
1,163 Posts
Don beat me to it...
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 29, 2015, 01:52 PM
United States, CA, Manteca
Joined Mar 2013
1,009 Posts
That's why I fly all my planes full throttle all the time!
sr175 is offline Find More Posts by sr175