HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 03, 2012, 07:07 PM
RC Dirt Bike Action
California central coast
Joined Feb 2010
1,677 Posts
Dang, that sounds cool about your dx450. I remember video, but its the other course next to the one your talking about. Would have been cool to see video of those laps. Sounds like your vmx would be too big even if more stable though. Hopefully you can re-attempt the outdoor tracks when its time. Ive got an rc8 16mm big bore shock coming in for future setup. Chris H convinced me after I saw that gravel video the way bike landed on rear wheel and then settled right down without a worry (first 10 seconds of video).
JohnnyMc is offline Find More Posts by JohnnyMc
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 03, 2012, 07:33 PM
Australia, QLD, Burua
Joined Jul 2012
2,420 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TopDave View Post
Hey Chris, Yeah, that video of you playing on that gravel pile shows that the new MM bike does every thing the old VMX's just could not do unless the gyro was fully spooled up. What you were doing on the gravel pile reminded me of the way full scale dirt bikers go out and play on dirt piles and moguls lol! And the slow running speeds of the e gyro bike over that terrain is so realistic looking. Can't wait till the gyro kits show up! I can't wait to run the bike on the indoor track. Last winter I ran my DTX bike at our indoor 10th scale races around a very technical off road carpet track and ran several consecutive laps without crashing, and the car guys cheered every time I cleared the 12 foot table top jump with out jumping off the track or crashing, lol.
TopDave I never realized I would have such fun doing that slow stuff but the way the bike handles with the new gyro and suspension upgrades blows me away. Like you said it reminds you of full size fun which is what I've always wanted. To do one of these tricks with the VMX I'd have to race up the road first to get the gyro working enough to have one go at the pile. Now I can go back and forth over it like with a monster truck.I love to see the slow mo action cause my eyes can't pick it up at full speed and also makes it look more realistic again. I hope when you get you gyro you can put on an awesome show and hook a few more bikers. Sounds like that jump was great, it's the best fun. Get some vid if you can thanks.
Chris
chktm is online now Find More Posts by chktm
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 03, 2012, 11:12 PM
dammachines
United States, DC, Washington
Joined Feb 2004
1,373 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TopDave View Post
Now that we and you folks have lost Chris Nicastro's abilities and knowlege base, are you going to assign us biker guys a new Atomic "GO TO" guy to cruise these biker forums to spread knowlege and good information to help us grow this sport? We all really appreciated all that Chris N. did for all the guys who needed help and special attention to cure some of the ills of the original VMX bike and will miss those types of informational inputs from an actual engineering expert. It was so nice to get information here, rather than having to make a phone call to the "tech" department for answers (altho' Venom did a very good job keeping us in parts and info!).
Yeah, I think the problem is that Chris was a bike guy from way back. He pushed Venom to add the bikes to their line up. He wasn't here because Venom/Atomik wanted him here to help everyone out, he was here out of his own personal love for the bikes. Though anything he did toward improving sales I'm sure helped show management that the bikes were a good investment.

They could give us an engineer to talk to, but it won't be the same...
dmincin is online now Find More Posts by dmincin
Old Aug 04, 2012, 12:51 AM
Australia, QLD, Burua
Joined Jul 2012
2,420 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmincin View Post
Yeah, I think the problem is that Chris was a bike guy from way back. He pushed Venom to add the bikes to their line up. He wasn't here because Venom/Atomik wanted him here to help everyone out, he was here out of his own personal love for the bikes. Though anything he did toward improving sales I'm sure helped show management that the bikes were a good investment.

Exactly
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 11, 2012, 08:16 AM
United States, NY, Poughkeepsie
Joined Apr 2006
149 Posts
Just did a search to see about esc fan.Mine does not come on at all and from what i gather it should come on when switch is turned on.I cant seem to find the fan only for purchase,it comes with the esc.Maybe another brand of fan may fit,like an integy or duratrax.Any suggestions please chine in
gurumods is offline Find More Posts by gurumods
Old Aug 11, 2012, 09:25 AM
LOTS of R/C's
Canada, AB, Stettler
Joined Oct 2011
46 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gurumods View Post
Just did a search to see about esc fan.Mine does not come on at all and from what i gather it should come on when switch is turned on.I cant seem to find the fan only for purchase,it comes with the esc.Maybe another brand of fan may fit,like an integy or duratrax.Any suggestions please chine in
It looks like any 30x30mm fan should fit. Yes, the fan should be on as soon as the ESC has power.
TERRA NOVA is offline Find More Posts by TERRA NOVA
Old Aug 11, 2012, 06:30 PM
MY '75 CZ "FALTA REPLICA" 2010
Waterford, Michigan
Joined May 2006
1,193 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmincin View Post

You're right Dave, and it will be near impossible to find another guy to follow thru and develope new accessories and improved designs because they won't have that personal interest that Chris N. has. Sad and scary for the future of the Venom/MM Atomik bikes....Maybe Traxxas bought him away from Atomic!! I think I'll start that rumor LOLOLOL. I started the rumor for the Venom E-gyro Months before they made the announcement......We can only hope I guess>
TopDave is offline Find More Posts by TopDave
Old Aug 11, 2012, 06:59 PM
Joined Apr 2006
149 Posts
Well i found the problem after a little diagnosis and it was the pos wire that came loose.The only way to fix was remove some of the back to expose some fresh solder surface area and put it back on.I will buy another fan for backup just in case.
Old Aug 11, 2012, 07:58 PM
Australia, QLD, Burua
Joined Jul 2012
2,420 Posts
Quote:
Well i found the problem after a little diagnosis and it was the pos wire that came loose.The only way to fix was remove some of the back to expose some fresh solder surface area and put it back on.I will buy another fan for backup just in case.
Gurumods I have run the VMX with a 12 tooth pinion and no esc fan for 6 months no problem, the esc doesn't get hot. Try a small run and feel temp.
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 11, 2012, 09:15 PM
Joined Apr 2006
149 Posts
Actually i think i have been running without the fan.I have powered the bike up many times and never noticed it running.I just never really paid much attention cause i was checking other things.If you have been running that gear for that long then i wont worry about it.I am saving for a telemetry radio so i can gear up and keep an eye on motor temps also.My onboard temp gauge is toast and i kinda need a radio anyway.
Old Aug 11, 2012, 10:31 PM
Australia, QLD, Burua
Joined Jul 2012
2,420 Posts
Quote:
Actually i think i have been running without the fan.I have powered the bike up many times and never noticed it running.I just never really paid much attention cause i was checking other things.If you have been running that gear for that long then i wont worry about it.I am saving for a telemetry radio so i can gear up and keep an eye on motor temps also.My onboard temp gauge is toast and i kinda need a radio anyway.
Yea I dont think you'll have a problem at all. Save your money. I think the speedo isn't stressed much at all. Have fun.
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 13, 2012, 03:36 AM
United Kingdom, England, Ware
Joined Aug 2012
169 Posts
Have been having fun with the Anderson M5 but was given a VMX 450 in a bad state of health .Am in the process of rebuilding it but have come across a sourcing problem regarding the disc brake .
Everything is there but the inner cable has been nipped up too tight in the past so it is virtually just 3 strands of wire left .
Am in the UK and have tried all the normal places like cycle shopsfor a replacement cable and outer but everything seems to be too big so am looking for suggestions before I purchase a new kit only for the cable .
On the same subject there are no set up instruction and it appears that the cable just attaches direct to the servo .My concern is surley the servo can go into a stall situation and burn out the motor or am I missing something simple .Any set up tips would be appriciated
Thanks
Jimob23 is offline Find More Posts by Jimob23
Old Aug 13, 2012, 03:54 AM
United Kingdom, England, Ware
Joined Aug 2012
169 Posts
Have been unable to find the exact discussion but in reading through many posts I did come across a discussion regarding the oil level in the front shocks .Some people were filling with the springs in place and others with them out .
Is there a preferred way to get the oil level correct ?
Thanks
Jimob23 is offline Find More Posts by Jimob23
Old Aug 13, 2012, 06:11 AM
Australia, QLD, Burua
Joined Jul 2012
2,420 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimob23 View Post
Have been having fun with the Anderson M5 but was given a VMX 450 in a bad state of health .Am in the process of rebuilding it but have come across a sourcing problem regarding the disc brake .
Everything is there but the inner cable has been nipped up too tight in the past so it is virtually just 3 strands of wire left .
Am in the UK and have tried all the normal places like cycle shopsfor a replacement cable and outer but everything seems to be too big so am looking for suggestions before I purchase a new kit only for the cable .
On the same subject there are no set up instruction and it appears that the cable just attaches direct to the servo .My concern is surley the servo can go into a stall situation and burn out the motor or am I missing something simple .Any set up tips would be appriciated
Thanks
Hey Jimob I use bicycle cable inside RC car antenna tube. Works great. You will have to remove the adjusters and also drill the caliper end slightly. Use throttle stoppers from gas car for cable ends. I set up my end points on the radio so as not to stress the servo too much. You could add spring if wanted. Also mount the servo end close to the centre of servo for more torque. Rellik has used fishing line with succes also.
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 13, 2012, 06:14 AM
Australia, QLD, Burua
Joined Jul 2012
2,420 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimob23 View Post
Have been unable to find the exact discussion but in reading through many posts I did come across a discussion regarding the oil level in the front shocks .Some people were filling with the springs in place and others with them out .
Is there a preferred way to get the oil level correct ?
Thanks
This is where the discussion is
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1695574
RCG Plus Member