SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 02, 2015, 09:16 AM
United Kingdom
Joined Jan 2013
323 Posts
Discussion
King of the 1S UM's - is there a best one?

Over the years there have been a lot of RTF/BNF 1S UM's to choose from. So today, if you found yourself with a load of spare HH 1S batteries, which 1S model would you pick to make use of them?

I know Parkzones range has dwindled and 2S will always offer the performance increase. But the cheap little 1S batteries do offer their own appeal.

If I didn't have a Champ already I'd probably nominate that. So the Champ aside... which would you pick?

ChickenDrumstick is offline Find More Posts by ChickenDrumstick
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 02, 2015, 09:45 AM
Y=C+I+G
United States, CA, Rosemead
Joined Jan 2012
9,999 Posts
The question seems better posed as:
"What would you power with the remaining 1s lipos that are rejected by the higher amp draw micros?"
Yes?
If so, then the choices will be quite restricted to planes like the Champ.

If not, then it doesn't make sense to me. There is no king of any class of cell-counts, 2s or 3s or 4s. So, there wouldn't be a king of 1s either.
cmdl is online now Find More Posts by cmdl
Old Mar 02, 2015, 10:50 AM
United Kingdom
Joined Jan 2013
323 Posts
Not sure I understand your question. It has nothing to do with amp draws....

I have a load of 1S MiniAvtiation 220mAh batteries that I use in my SX powered Champ. But it would be nice to make more use of these batteries in another 1S plane of some kind. There have been quite a few over the years, so just wondered if anyone have a favourite or if you were in the same position as me, what would you buy?

Pickings of 'new' HH 1S planes are slim. But I've seen a new in box Polecat for sale recently and there is always 2nd hand.

Old Mar 02, 2015, 11:17 AM
Y=C+I+G
Joined Jan 2012
9,999 Posts
My query stemmed from your statement: "if you found yourself with a load of spare HH 1S batteries"

By "spare" I assumed you meant ones that have been lying around for a while - hence, not new.

A trainer such as the Champ, is less demanding of lipos than other planes. It requires less power to stay in the air, hence less current draw. An older, weaker, spare lipo will work fine on it. The same older, weaker, spare lipo will be rejected by a warbird, sport plane, etc.

A "king" may exist within the same class: King of slow flyers, King of fast planes, King of aerobatic planes. But there is no one plane that will be able to do all of those better than the rest.

However, a king of using old lipos would likely be a slow flyer such as the Champ. May be even a glider like the Radian.
Old Mar 02, 2015, 11:40 AM
United Kingdom
Joined Jan 2013
323 Posts
I think this is getting off track and fast. These are not old knackered batteries..... They are new/nearly new high discharge 1S batteries from Miniaviation. I'm sure they'll handle the amp draw fine on any 1S.

As for King --- I thought the op was fairly obvious as I described what I was meaning......

So what would you suggest for aerobatic or speed for a 1S plane that I could go any buy??

But honestly, I really didn't think it would be this difficult to just get a few suggestions of:

'x' always flew well.

Wouldn't bother with 'y'

Sort of answers. For example, I know people say the p40 tip stalled badly and wasn't the best performer. A Polecat is old stock and won't have AS3X, but would it be more fun to fly than the current p51?
Old Mar 02, 2015, 11:52 AM
Y=C+I+G
Joined Jan 2012
9,999 Posts
Then I can give you input on Warbirds. I'm a Spitfire guy myself but that has been discontinued. But mine flew like a dream.
However, based on what I have read, the P-51 is the way to go.
Old Mar 02, 2015, 01:08 PM
Depron-addicted
Switzerland, ZH, Zurich
Joined Apr 2011
130 Posts
The good old Parkzone UM T-28 Trojan is still one of my favorites, in both 1s or brushless with 2s.
Serge Roth is online now Find More Posts by Serge Roth
Old Mar 02, 2015, 03:18 PM
love to fly, hate to crash
Fort Erie Ont. Canada
Joined Jan 2005
534 Posts
I would agree that the Micro Parkzone T28 would win hands down in my books. I would have to say the Spitfire is a lot of fun as well but takes a little more skill but it does look really good doing slow passes. I am starting to fly the 2 cell UMX planes now but still enjoy the single cell planes. Lets not forget about those WWI planes from Flyzone as they are what I cut my teeth on with indoor flying when I first started to do indoor flying. John
John.G is offline Find More Posts by John.G
Old Mar 02, 2015, 07:22 PM
When pigs fly rc
USA, NY, Chester
Joined Apr 2008
2,566 Posts
T28 =-o
rcrich is offline Find More Posts by rcrich
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: flying penguin
Old Mar 02, 2015, 08:32 PM
Aimin at the ground an missing
Canada, BC, Courtenay
Joined Feb 2014
329 Posts
I'm loving the corsair right now with as3x. Chews up the 160mah in less than 4 min though, so the 220's should be great! This thing is pretty quick, nimble, but flies so nice that I'll slow her right down inches off the deck and let the kids chase after her just like I do with the champ. The polecat I wouldn't feel comfortable at all doing that with.
The Jackalope is online now Find More Posts by The Jackalope
Old Mar 10, 2015, 01:03 PM
Joined Nov 2005
38 Posts
I'd vote for the current Corsair too.

I only fly mine with 45c batteries and it seems faster and more agile than the other warbirds in the range. I also pull the aileron rod in by one hole on the horn.

I'd declare the Corsair a 'king' because with the appropriate expo and throttle curve it has the widest flight envelope - has some of the best slow speed manners too.
nicherotors is offline Find More Posts by nicherotors
Old Mar 10, 2015, 06:08 PM
Joined Apr 2013
159 Posts
I got a good deal on the original UM Corsair, however I have yet to fly it due to weather.

The 45C battery made a HUGE difference in my P-40 and my beat up Champ.

Can't wait to try it on the Corsair.
mattman0182 is offline Find More Posts by mattman0182
Old Mar 10, 2015, 06:10 PM
Way to many airplanes!
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2009
5,495 Posts
First version of the Extra (not the AS3X version) if you can find one (and days without wind or indoor)
RealGambler is offline Find More Posts by RealGambler
Old Mar 10, 2015, 09:18 PM
Joined Apr 2012
337 Posts
i'd go for a um pole cat if you can find one, if not, go for a umx radian
minimicrorc is offline Find More Posts by minimicrorc
Old Mar 11, 2015, 03:29 AM
United Kingdom
Joined Jan 2013
323 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicherotors View Post
I'd vote for the current Corsair too.

I only fly mine with 45c batteries and it seems faster and more agile than the other warbirds in the range. I also pull the aileron rod in by one hole on the horn.

I'd declare the Corsair a 'king' because with the appropriate expo and throttle curve it has the widest flight envelope - has some of the best slow speed manners too.
I'm liking the sound of the Corsair, sadly can't find it in stock anywhere thus far in the UK. A place I buy from is meant to be getting some in, guess I'll have to wait and see on pricing however.