HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 08, 2010, 05:42 AM
Joined Sep 2007
96 Posts
Question
E-flite 30amp ESC - arming problems? (Parkzone T-28D)

Hey guys, I just got a T-28D.

I've been trying to install my Spektrum AR6200 receiver and hook up the servos - but my receiver is not talking to the DX6i transmitter. I think it may be an ESC problem. Here's why:

The receiver has been bound to my DX6i.

I plugged the ESC lead into the throttle port on the receiver. I turned on the DX6i (having selected the right model memory), then I hooked the battery up to the ESC.

The ESC makes one high beep, then three medium beeps. The orange light on the receiver is on (and not flashing). However, I don't have any throttle response. None of the servos are getting power or responding either.

I tried a different receiver (AR6100) with the same result.

I then just plugged battery into the ESC without being attached to the receiver at all - the ESC makes exactly the same sequence of beeps.

Any ideas what could be wrong here?
norbert_jones is offline Find More Posts by norbert_jones
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 08, 2010, 06:03 AM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
25,777 Posts
1 beep ON
3 beep lipo cell count for LVC
then you should have a last beep confirming its armed.

If when plug normaly battery in the ESC and esc in the RX.

If the RX lights up that means its getting power but without a mutli meter or voltmeter to verify the ouptu voltage you wont be 100%.

Just get a RX power power and plug it in the BAtt port of the RX and using normal servo check all the channels to see if they are working,

Go threw BINDING again, you never know.
freechip is online now Find More Posts by freechip
Old Feb 08, 2010, 06:57 AM
Kamikaze Ace
USA, FL, Lakeland
Joined Jan 2010
2,562 Posts
Also make sure you have the esc plugged in the correct orientation on the rx. If it's plugged in backwards you will still have power to the rx, but the signal and ground wires will be reversed and nothing will happen.
Glacier Girl is offline Find More Posts by Glacier Girl
Old Feb 08, 2010, 07:06 AM
Needs more moose!
Brisbane. Australia.
Joined Jan 2007
856 Posts
Throttle channel might also be reversed.
Red_N_White is offline Find More Posts by Red_N_White
Old Feb 08, 2010, 08:23 AM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
25,777 Posts
With the throttle reverse or in the wrong orientation, with the stick in the lowest position the esc would go into programming and since the O.P is not mentioning extra beeping then the reversing may be correct but you never know.
Old Feb 08, 2010, 01:56 PM
Joined Sep 2007
96 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by freechip View Post
1 beep ON
3 beep lipo cell count for LVC
then you should have a last beep confirming its armed.
OK, I get the first beep, the 3 beeps for the lipo cell count, but not the last beep confirming it's armed.
Old Feb 08, 2010, 01:57 PM
Joined Sep 2007
96 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_N_White View Post
Throttle channel might also be reversed.
Yeah, I tried reversing the throttle channel - no difference (if it was working correctly the ESC should have entered programming mode with the throttle channel reversed).
Old Feb 08, 2010, 01:59 PM
Joined Sep 2007
96 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glacier Girl View Post
Also make sure you have the esc plugged in the correct orientation on the rx. If it's plugged in backwards you will still have power to the rx, but the signal and ground wires will be reversed and nothing will happen.
Thanks, I tried plugging the ESC lead in both ways. One orientation and the Rx lights up orange ("on"), but plugged in the other way the Rx is completely dead.
Old Feb 08, 2010, 02:02 PM
Joined Sep 2007
96 Posts
The DX6i is working fine - I tested it with another model - so I can rule that out.

The only other thing is that the battery is at 3.9V per cell - surely the ESC is not so sensitive as to require the battery to be fully charged just to set up the servos and program the throws etc?

Anyone with the ESC care to comment?
Old Feb 08, 2010, 02:14 PM
Kamikaze Ace
USA, FL, Lakeland
Joined Jan 2010
2,562 Posts
Two things, check the throttle trim on the tx, the esc may not be recognizing off position.

Also I just read the manual on the 30 amp esc in the Trojan, it's auto cut off, reads the voltage and sets cut off at 74% of what ever it reads, big no no if pack isn't fully charged.
Glacier Girl is offline Find More Posts by Glacier Girl
Old Feb 09, 2010, 03:30 AM
Joined Sep 2007
96 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glacier Girl View Post
Two things, check the throttle trim on the tx, the esc may not be recognizing off position.

Also I just read the manual on the 30 amp esc in the Trojan, it's auto cut off, reads the voltage and sets cut off at 74% of what ever it reads, big no no if pack isn't fully charged.
Thanks for the suggestions.

I played around with the throttle trim settings. No change.
I used a fully charged lipo. No change.

Still the same one high beep, three lower beeps then nothing.

The ESC makes this noise when I plug in the battery, regardless of whether the Rx is plugged in or not. Even though the Rx is getting power the ESC is behaving as if there is no Rx connected.

Any final thoughts before I contact the supplier for a claim under warranty?
Old Feb 09, 2010, 05:46 AM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
25,777 Posts
If you played with ESC programming and changed the throttle option in the programming, depending on your TX you may not be able to arm the esc as the throttle stick even it its lowest position alone will not arm the ESC.

Power on everything like you should be doing and then with the throttle stick all the way down, TRIM the throttle down even further. If you then get it to work then go back into programming and change the throttle programming to the smaller amount.

OR

you can go into programming right away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Flite
The default setting is 1.2ms to 1.8ms and should work with most radio systems. This option allows for proper throttle input with many different radio systems. However, some radios have a wider output range, and may give a more linear response with the 1.1ms to 1.9ms range. If you feel there is too much “dead” area in the stick movement near full throttle, try adjusting the end points in your radio, or change to the wider input range. Be aware that if these settings are not correct, it may be impossible to arm the controller.

1. Move the stick to center (between 1.4 and 1.6ms) for 5 seconds, and
the controller will beep 4 times, indicating you are now in Menu 4.

2. Move the throttle stick to full throttle (>1.7ms) position to make
changes to the Throttle Input Range programming.

a. To select 1.2ms to 1.8ms – You will hear 1 short beep.
Move the throttle stick to center (between 1.4 and
1.6ms). The controller will beep 2 times, indicating you
have set the program selection or leave in full throttle for
5 seconds to advance to the next selection.

b. To select 1.1ms to 1.9ms – You will hear 2 short beeps.
Move the throttle stick to center (between 1.4 and
1.6ms). The controller will beep 2 times, indicating you
have set the program selection or leave in full throttle for
5 seconds to advance to the first selection again.
Old Mar 06, 2015, 01:27 AM
Joined Mar 2015
1 Posts
solution for DX6

This may be well known by now.. I had this exact problem with DX6.

My config was set to sailplane. For model setup, there is a motor section.
The default was inhibit. I changed it to motor. Then
replugged the ESC into battery and finally heard a beep after the 3 beep cell count.
Motor worked great after that.

I am using the stock 30A Elite ESC that comes with Radian PRO sailplane.
mdebush is offline Find More Posts by mdebush