SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 01, 2015, 10:09 PM
Find More Posts by calde043
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Dec 2012
247 Posts
Discussion
Where to buy connectors and associated tools/pieces?

I'm looking for a general site that sells all the connectors a person would want. I need a few different thing such as EC3 connectors (350QX), jst for balance charging and I believe jst xh connectors for both an ESC that I have, and to plug into the gimbal of my 350qx2.

Also, is there a site that explains and shows all the different common connectors so a person would know what they think they should order?

Lastly, I'm not looking for premade items, I'd want to get myself a pair of crimpers and pins and likely an extractor or two to release the pins.

Is there a site out there that specializes in this stuff? I looked at hobby king, but their selection seems small for what I expected out of them
calde043 is offline Find More Posts by calde043
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 01, 2015, 10:32 PM
Find More Posts by ggcrandall1
USA, GA, Marietta
Joined Aug 2005
6,633 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by calde043 View Post
I'm looking for a general site that sells all the connectors a person would want.

I don't think such a site exists. There are just too many different connectors for one vendor to stock all of them.

I need a few different thing such as EC3 connectors (350QX), jst for balance charging and I believe jst xh connectors for both an ESC that I have, and to plug into the gimbal of my 350qx2.

Progressive RC has a fair selection. http://www.progressiverc.com/silicon...ge=1&top=1442&

Also, is there a site that explains and shows all the different common connectors so a person would know what they think they should order?

I don't think so.

Lastly, I'm not looking for premade items, I'd want to get myself a pair of crimpers and pins and likely an extractor or two to release the pins.

Is there a site out there that specializes in this stuff? I looked at hobby king, but their selection seems small for what I expected out of them
Here is a selection of places I have purchased connectors and crimpers from.

Horizon Hobby
http://www.horizonhobby.com/
Hansen Hobby
http://www.hansenhobbies.com/
Servo City
https://www.servocity.com/
Tower Hobby
http://www.towerhobbies.com/

I'm sure others can add to the list.

Glen
ggcrandall1 is offline Find More Posts by ggcrandall1
Last edited by ggcrandall1; Mar 01, 2015 at 10:37 PM.
Old Mar 01, 2015, 10:57 PM
Find More Posts by Econoline
United States, CA, Ventura
Joined Nov 2007
167 Posts
I've found HobbyKing to have all the connectors and related tools I have needed so far. The trick is to find all of what I need at the same warehouse at the same time. The HK crimpers work very well.
Econoline is offline Find More Posts by Econoline
Old Mar 02, 2015, 07:31 AM
Joined Dec 2012
247 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggcrandall1 View Post
Here is a selection of places I have purchased connectors and crimpers from.

Horizon Hobby
http://www.horizonhobby.com/
Hansen Hobby
http://www.hansenhobbies.com/
Servo City
https://www.servocity.com/
Tower Hobby
http://www.towerhobbies.com/

I'm sure others can add to the list.

Glen
Thank you. That progressive RC place looks like it's gotta a couple of that I'd be interested in. Looks like there is a Dean's style connector there as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Econoline View Post
I've found HobbyKing to have all the connectors and related tools I have needed so far. The trick is to find all of what I need at the same warehouse at the same time. The HK crimpers work very well.
Are you using the jst-sh crimpers? Can those to anything other than jst sh pins? I'd want to do servo type pins and others, but don't know if those will.
Old Mar 02, 2015, 12:15 PM
Find More Posts by Econoline
United States, CA, Ventura
Joined Nov 2007
167 Posts
Quote:
Are you using the jst-sh crimpers? Can those to anything other than jst sh pins? I'd want to do servo type pins and others, but don't know if those will.
Yes, the "Hobbyking Electrical Connector Crimping Tool" $14. I have crimped servo pins with this tool and it worked fine. There's also the servocity pin crimpers for not much more money.
Econoline is offline Find More Posts by Econoline
Old Mar 04, 2015, 06:54 PM
Find More Posts by propwash17
United States, NJ, Bergenfield
Joined Jun 2004
80 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Econoline View Post
Yes, the "Hobbyking Electrical Connector Crimping Tool" $14. I have crimped servo pins with this tool and it worked fine. There's also the servocity pin crimpers for not much more money.
Hi, I totally agree with Econoline, I've been using the HK crimping tool for some time now and can vouch for it's usefulness, great bang for the buck.
Ron.
propwash17 is offline Find More Posts by propwash17
Old Apr 04, 2015, 04:50 PM
Joined Dec 2012
247 Posts
So I go those crimpers but having a heck of time trying to crimp those JST-sh connectors? Anyone have any tips?
Old Apr 04, 2015, 05:42 PM
USA, GA, Marietta
Joined Aug 2005
6,633 Posts
Quote:
So I go those crimpers but having a heck of time trying to crimp those JST-sh connectors? Anyone have any tips?
Are you having problems keeping the wire and pin together while getting them into the crimper? What I do is use a thumb nail to fold over the lugs that wrap around the insulation. That holds things together until I can get the pin positioned in the crimper jaws.

Glen
Old Apr 04, 2015, 05:47 PM
Joined Dec 2012
247 Posts
Quote:
Are you having problems keeping the wire and pin together while getting them into the crimper? What I do is use a thumb nail to fold over the lugs that wrap around the insulation. That holds things together until I can get the pin positioned in the crimper jaws.

Glen
Not only that, I'm having trouble once I have one "crimped" to go into the white connector. I don't think I'm getting a quality crimp, which is why I think it's resistant to going into the connector
Old Apr 04, 2015, 06:03 PM
USA, GA, Marietta
Joined Aug 2005
6,633 Posts
Quote:
Not only that, I'm having trouble once I have one "crimped" to go into the white connector. I don't think I'm getting a quality crimp, which is why I think it's resistant to going into the connector
Are you sure you are placing the pin into the crimper correctly? The wire should exit the crimper on the side that has the numbers on the jaws. Also the pin goes into the crimper with the tabs into the recess in the jaws. (I don't like that explanation but it's the best I can do.)

Glen
Old Apr 04, 2015, 08:27 PM
Joined Dec 2012
247 Posts
Quote:
Maybe these pictures will help. They are of a servo pin but most of the connectors are similar. Note the wire and pin positions in the crimper in the last two pictures.

Glen
Glen,

Those pictures are great and helpful. I have a slightly different crimper than you and it doesn't have numbers. It also has two different "steps" in it, which looks to be different than yours.
Old Apr 04, 2015, 09:04 PM
USA, GA, Marietta
Joined Aug 2005
6,633 Posts
The jaws of both your and my crimpers are essentially the same. The side of mine with the numbers is the same as the back side of yours as shown in the picture. So on yours the wire would go into the backside of your crimper (as in the picture) and the pin would protrude out the front side. Align the wire end of the pin with the edge of the crimper jaw.

Glen
Old Apr 05, 2015, 01:16 AM
Find More Posts by Jaketheone46
Jaketheone46
United States, KY, Florence
Joined Nov 2014
543 Posts
Quote:
Glen,

Those pictures are great and helpful. I have a slightly different crimper than you and it doesn't have numbers. It also has two different "steps" in it, which looks to be different than yours.
I would think its not 2 different steps to crimp but rather 2 different sizes for maybe 2 different size pins. I could be wrong though I do not have one myself.
Jaketheone46 is offline Find More Posts by Jaketheone46
Old Apr 05, 2015, 02:16 AM
Find More Posts by WimH
Belgium, Flemish Region, Oosterzele
Joined Dec 2001
5,539 Posts
For Europeans...
http://www.nessel-elektronik.de/
WimH is offline Find More Posts by WimH
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: That elusive thermal...