Old Dec 24, 2014, 08:42 AM
Find More Posts by Sandman70
John
Willow Grove, PA
Joined Nov 2007
50 Posts
Discussion
COG is way off

Upon finishing my first foamy (Value Hobby 32" Edge 540) and installing the 3S battery I have found the COG is much farther forward than the instruction manual has stated. I have the battery back as far as it will go in the battery compartment. I could enlarge the battery compartment but it most likely will have to be cut all the way back to the aileron servo. I know this plane can use a 2S or 3S so how do you balance the extra weight when using a 3S? I could just purchase a 2S but most of the reviews said it flies better on a 3S. Thanks.
Sandman70 is offline Find More Posts by Sandman70
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 24, 2014, 09:18 AM
Find More Posts by RonJ
Sparta,WI,USA
Joined Nov 2000
1,689 Posts
Boy, that's a tough one. You could go to a smaller mah 3S battery which will give you shorter flights. Many times the recommended CG is conservative. To me, that is the starting point. My final battery location is determined by flying inverted and finding the "hands off" point.

RonJ
RonJ is offline Find More Posts by RonJ
Old Dec 24, 2014, 02:14 PM
Find More Posts by spastic
ProBro Spaz
Buffalo, NY
Joined Aug 2004
1,229 Posts
yeah i'm like Ron i would tape the pack on for the first few flights to see where the CG really should be, it probably will balance for KE better with the pack on top of the fuse anyway, when i design my EPP planes i don't do a pre-cut slot because people tend to use different gear anyway

you didn't say what battery, motor, servos you used...? and where is the CG as is?

if you do enlarge the pre-cut slot you can add the cutoff back to the front of the slot
spastic is offline Find More Posts by spastic
Old Dec 24, 2014, 03:08 PM
John
Willow Grove, PA
Joined Nov 2007
50 Posts
The motor is a 2206.
9g aileron servo
5g rudder and elevator servos
Battery is 3s 800mah

I ordered the battery that was in the suggested parts for 3s setup off of Value Hobby's website, oddly enough when I check the site now it lists a 500mah 3s battery. After making the initial post I remembered my brother in law gave me all his rc plane stuff a few years ago which included a 2s 800mah battery, will this battery work with the 2206 motor?
Old Dec 25, 2014, 05:05 AM
Find More Posts by oceanway99
United States, FL, Jacksonville
Joined Feb 2012
555 Posts
those are heavy packs for this size plane. set it on top of the spar aand see how it flies inverted
oceanway99 is offline Find More Posts by oceanway99
Old Dec 25, 2014, 06:26 AM
Find More Posts by flypaper 2
Canadian Bacon
Kingston, Canada
Joined Jun 2004
13,947 Posts
Yep, do like Oceanway says. Trim it out for level flight, then flip it inverted. With the CG in the proper place, the plane should neither climb or dive, whether upright or inverted for a 3D plane. There are other methods but this one is pretty precise.

Gord.
flypaper 2 is offline Find More Posts by flypaper 2
Old Dec 25, 2014, 08:13 AM
John
Willow Grove, PA
Joined Nov 2007
50 Posts
Okay, I will give that a try when the weather cooperates. Thanks for the help.

Merry Christmas everyone!
Old Jan 12, 2015, 11:52 PM
Find More Posts by CaliPilot
Christian F
United States, CA, Redwood City
Joined Mar 2011
412 Posts
yeah, just velcro it to the top of the fuse
CaliPilot is online now Find More Posts by CaliPilot