SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 08, 2014, 09:42 PM
Find More Posts by DMHIGHFLYER
United States, CO, Oxford
Joined Feb 2012
462 Posts
Discussion
Flight-Model 96" P-51 Mustang 80-100cc ARF

This P-51 is selling through JB Hobbies in the US. Does anyone have this plane yet? Would like to know the quality.
DMHIGHFLYER is online now Find More Posts by DMHIGHFLYER
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 09, 2014, 09:42 PM
Joined Feb 2012
462 Posts
Looking at this photo, you can see there are no gear doors and the tail wheel is not retracted all the way. Not to sure for a $1100 ARF. Also the elevator servo's are in the elevator?

It may be a good home for a Klom IL100 though
Old Dec 10, 2014, 08:18 AM
Find More Posts by scootrb4
2 Fast 2 Low & 2 Loud
United States, CA, Winchester
Joined Nov 2011
3,558 Posts
Sounds like you are talking yourself into a good looking bird.
scootrb4 is offline Find More Posts by scootrb4
Old Dec 11, 2014, 07:57 AM
Find More Posts by scale_only
# Scale is a way of life
United States, OH, Avon Lake
Joined Apr 2010
2,720 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMHIGHFLYER View Post
Looking at this photo, you can see there are no gear doors and the tail wheel is not retracted all the way. Not to sure for a $1100 ARF. Also the elevator servo's are in the elevator?

It may be a good home for a Klom IL100 though
yes,, must be a hatch on the underside, you ca see the linkages mid span
scale_only is offline Find More Posts by scale_only
Old Dec 12, 2014, 08:13 AM
Joined Feb 2012
462 Posts
Yes, one servo under each elevator. I see that JB is also offering a Corsair and Zero in 80 to 100cc size. The Flight Model ARFs look a lot like Easy Tiger Models.
Old Feb 16, 2015, 04:09 PM
Find More Posts by dmyers0403
Joined Jan 2011
254 Posts
I just recieved my last week and unboxed. I have not started assembly yet so cannot respond on fit of parts yet. Overall I am very pleased with quality of the kit and hardware. The painted finish on the fiberglass is excellant. There are a few irregularities in some of the fiberglass panel lines and a few paint chips at canopy fame edges But I am still very pleased with kit. The covering on wings and stabs are excellant. They have painted panel line affects on covering, a sport scale approach. It is not printed onto covering but is hand applied.
The elevator servos are in the stab and there is a side plate in fusilage at rear for rudder.servo. Flap and aileron servos are in wing as is typical.
I have the big 96" Easy Tiger Corsair ARF and this P51 is much higher quality. No comparison.
One area that impressed me is the hinging. They use carbon fiber rods to extend the Robart style pin hinges into the elevators and ailerons, which have scale type rounded leading edges. The hinge pins pivots inside recessed notches. The stab/wing trailing edges are recessed for rounded elevators/ailerons.
This a large very nice looking P51 and well finished plane.The scale purist will have areas to complain about but it is a much better in appearance and finish than my previous Top Flite P51. Will post more as I get into it. It does have retract coverings with inside wheel doors.
dmyers0403 is offline Find More Posts by dmyers0403
Last edited by dmyers0403; Feb 16, 2015 at 04:23 PM.
Old Feb 16, 2015, 04:36 PM
Joined Jan 2011
254 Posts
Here are some stab shots. They are removable stabs but can be glued in place. Do not know brand of covering but it is done very well. Note blocks for hinge pins. Carbon tubes can be positioned for proper hing placement thin thin CA should fix in place. Instructions could be better but doable. Not a complicated plane to assemble, in fact is is fairly easy from what I see so far. I built the Troybuiltmodels Zero for my friend and this one is also much better in detail, quality and finish.
James has been very good and prompt to work with.
Would buy it again.
Last edited by dmyers0403; Feb 16, 2015 at 07:56 PM.
Old Mar 12, 2015, 07:48 AM
Find More Posts by luckymacy
United States, PA, Media
Joined Aug 2006
135 Posts
Any progress? Landing gear, engine, muffler, correct wing to stab incidences, etc?
luckymacy is offline Find More Posts by luckymacy
Old Mar 12, 2015, 06:53 PM
Joined Jan 2011
254 Posts
Just started stab today and finished them. All went together and fit well, no serious complaints. Used all stock hardware with exception of servo control horn. Using Hitec 645 MG and like their big horn so did not used the carbon fiber horn they provided as it screws to stock round servo wheel. Had to trim elevator horn some but no big deal and notch mounting plate to clear servo Just make sure you have required elevator control deflection during setup (gluing) as it can get to tight with recessed hinge.
Wish they would reverse one servo tray for same elevator direction for deflection. There is enough wood at leading edge of elevator to screw another type control horn if one desires to modify.
Will go to wings next as soon as work alows. A "Best Pilot" fits perfect but must cut legs at middle of shins to clear dash.
Old Mar 15, 2015, 11:19 PM
Joined Feb 2012
462 Posts
Looks good! Did you buy from JB Hobbies? Also what engine are you planning on?
Old Mar 15, 2015, 11:47 PM
Joined Jan 2011
254 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMHIGHFLYER View Post
Looks good! Did you buy from JB Hobbies? Also what engine are you planning on?
I did purchase from JB Hobbies and support has been great. I have a ZDZ80 planned. Waiting on a pitts muffler to insure fit inside cowl.
Started on wings fitting ailerons but sidetracked working on remodel project for fiance.
Plane could be assembled fairly fast if one needed. Noticed it also has led lights in wing tips with wire leads.
Old Mar 17, 2015, 06:39 PM
Find More Posts by Big Nuts 181
Joined Jul 2004
2,656 Posts
Hey nice project. The corsair you mentioned above from easy tiger, is that the razorback version with birdcage canopy?? I have one through another brand but pretty sure its the same model, I'm interested as to how you found the model and anything I should look out for. I haven't started mine yet but looking forward to getting started soon.
Big Nuts 181 is offline Find More Posts by Big Nuts 181
Old Mar 17, 2015, 10:01 PM
Joined Jan 2011
254 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Nuts 181 View Post
Hey nice project. The corsair you mentioned above from easy tiger, is that the razorback version with birdcage canopy?? I have one through another brand but pretty sure its the same model, I'm interested as to how you found the model and anything I should look out for. I haven't started mine yet but looking forward to getting started soon.
Here is link for build on RCU. Have not started mine. Lot to be disapointed in regarding mine, but will start after I get settled in after marriage.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-w...e-corsair.html
Old Mar 20, 2015, 11:24 AM
Find More Posts by Big Nuts 181
Joined Jul 2004
2,656 Posts
Thanks foe the reply Dmyers. Its a good read. Siunds like a really good winter project for me. Ive been givjng some thought to engine choices and have been considering the DLA128 flat 4 for this one as my evolution 160-7 just misses out on fitting the cowl. Just have to remeber my log in now for rcu.
Big Nuts 181 is offline Find More Posts by Big Nuts 181
Old Apr 16, 2015, 09:38 PM
Joined Feb 2012
462 Posts
How is the build going? I see they have another Flight Model P-51, looks nice. Looks like it mat be updated with gear doors?