SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 28, 2015, 06:52 PM
United States, CA, Garden Grove
Joined Oct 2000
12,530 Posts
Discussion
P-26 Peashooter Flies Again, Re-Re-Re Maiden

Model was my entry in the first design and build-off fun contest. I finally got the thing to fly but was never very satisfied with it's performance. I put it on the shelf in the hot garage in retirement since 2012. I recently installed a Cobra motor and speed control somewhat more powerful than the previous Scorpion 3008-32.

It's wrinkly covering refuses to shrink anymore so it looks quite elderly. It has been sitting in retirement since 2012 without a motor and speed control which went into my Tritle Stinson Reliant. I installed heavier 1/8" landing gear legs with a single coil made on my mighty K&S wire bender and coiler
I installed the wheel leggings and spats with silicone adhesive, no more Velcro.
2200 mah 3S lipo is mounted under wing with a 1/32 ply fairing.

Anyway, I re-re-re-re maidened it again today and after a few scary nose up moments , i got it leveled out and flying quite nicely. It still hates to loop but promises to settled down into a steady flying model similar to my Maxford Gee Bee E/Y conversion.
E-Challenged is offline Find More Posts by E-Challenged
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 28, 2015, 06:57 PM
Or current resident
USA, FL, Tampa
Joined Jul 2002
5,039 Posts
Cool, glad to hear you brought it out of semi-retirement!
Sometimes it takes a while to get back to a model that wasn't quite successful the first time out. I like to say they have to 'marinate' for a while before my interest returns.
Got any pics?

Glenn
glewis is offline Find More Posts by glewis
Old Jan 28, 2015, 07:30 PM
Joined Oct 2000
12,530 Posts
I'll shoot some pics next flying session. Hopefully will get our club photog to take some nice sharp flight shots. It won't look so elderly, from a distance, in flight.
Old Jan 28, 2015, 08:45 PM
Or current resident
USA, FL, Tampa
Joined Jul 2002
5,039 Posts
I have a beat up old GWS Tiger Moth that fits that description.
Still flies good and looks OK from a distance.
Old Jan 28, 2015, 10:40 PM
Joined Feb 2013
697 Posts
We don't see many P26s built, for whatever reason. You're reminding me that I still need to fly and video my second Sterling P26. The first one flew well on a marginal motor, and has never been reflown after changing it. Better get around to flying the newer version, one of these days. The kits were selling for as low as $30 recently on Ebay, which is quite a deal. Paid about $40 shipped for mine, but haven't seen any recently.
AntiArf is online now Find More Posts by AntiArf
Old Jan 29, 2015, 08:57 AM
Neophyte hacker
Albuquerque, NM USA
Joined Sep 2003
16,277 Posts
E, congrats on getting it back in the air. Having followed your original trials it is nice to see.

There are several planes I'd like to have now that I trashed years ago.

30" Dumas Hurricane and Gee Bee E conversions were two. They both flew on geared sp280's and did pretty well. I'd love to fly them with a modern outrunner and lighter battery packs. Or the Tritle Sopwith Triplane. It was a geared sp400. One day I may build them again.

charlie
portablevcb is offline Find More Posts by portablevcb
Old Jan 29, 2015, 10:15 AM
Joined Oct 2000
12,530 Posts
It is really hard for me to finally trash a mostly intact built-up model. My Tritle Pepsi-Cola Reliant had one wing panel and forward fuselage was munched after the right wing parted company. I'm glad I was able to repair it and now it has become a weekly go-to flyer. It really scoots, does nice loops and rolls, but will slow down nicely and land easily with or without flaps . Even the wheel spats stay on

I have seen few examples of P-26's and similar airframes that are "easy" flyers. The big dummy radial and ring cowl, short nose, massive covered landing gear, and top and bottom wing rigging wires all conspire to make the model hard to get CG'ed, trimmed and flying and landing nicely. I always wished that my Peashooter was a lot larger but more lightly wing loaded proportionately.

Maybe one of our talented designers will come out with a better Peashooter design for the masses. There seems to be enough interest in this quirky golden age fighter.

"Don't give up the ship!!"
Last edited by E-Challenged; Jan 29, 2015 at 10:45 AM.
Old Jan 29, 2015, 10:56 AM
Or current resident
USA, FL, Tampa
Joined Jul 2002
5,039 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Challenged View Post
It is really hard for me to finally trash a mostly intact built-up model.
"Don't give up the ship!!"
Same here. My Herr Bonanza took a dirt nap when a fellow flyer turned on his tx on the same frequency. (remember the frequency pin board?)
Model was blown up pretty bad and I just couldn't bring myself to trash it.
The fuse was pretty much gone from the nose to the wing TE. Wing was pretty bad and even the V tail was busted.
Finally took it down and stripped the covering off and repaired it. even made a plug and vacuformed tip tanks for it.
It's now one of my better looking, and better flying models.

Glenn
Old Jan 29, 2015, 11:18 AM
United Kingdom, Scotland, Killearn
Joined Aug 2014
207 Posts
Nice to see your P26; I must look back at the thread.

I got a plastic control line Peashooter for Christmas '67 when I was hoping for a Hurricane. I think it was pretty unusual in the UK at the time. Sadly it didn't live up to the anticipation. When we got it running, flights were short and violent. But I've had a soft spot for the type since.

Alec
balticS2 is offline Find More Posts by balticS2
Old Jan 29, 2015, 02:10 PM
Wing loading's just a number
United States, MI, Canton
Joined Sep 2002
1,990 Posts
Please post some pictures. I didn't follow the thread the first time around....may not have been on this thread much back then?

Denny
Dennis Sumner is online now Find More Posts by Dennis Sumner
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RC Throw Gauge
Old Jan 29, 2015, 04:47 PM
Joined Oct 2000
12,530 Posts
Here's an older picture sans wrinkles.
Last edited by E-Challenged; Jan 29, 2015 at 05:04 PM.
Old Jan 29, 2015, 05:16 PM
Wing loading's just a number
United States, MI, Canton
Joined Sep 2002
1,990 Posts
Looks nice!

Is that at your flying field?
Dennis Sumner is online now Find More Posts by Dennis Sumner
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RC Throw Gauge
Old Jan 29, 2015, 11:05 PM
Joined Oct 2000
12,530 Posts
Our flying field at Fairview Park, Costa Mesa, is hard dirt with vigorous weed growth and frequent mowing. What you see is the sidewalk next to the flying area. The city won't let us do herbicides to protect the fairy shrimp in the vernal ponds, in accordance with the US Fish and Wildlife Service edicts. Fairy shrimp lie dormant in dirt but periodically come to life with rainfall ( as I understand it)
Old Jan 30, 2015, 07:38 AM
United States, KY, Taylorsville
Joined Mar 2010
2,128 Posts
That sure is a nice looking Pea Shooter!
ARUP is offline Find More Posts by ARUP
Old Jan 30, 2015, 10:52 AM
Joined Oct 2000
12,530 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ARUP View Post
That sure is a nice looking Pea Shooter!
I can tell you like odd airplane designs.

ARUP was a semi-circular aircraft of the 30's and RC versions have flown well.

The flying "Heel Lift" - Arup S2 and S4 flying wings (1 min 55 sec)