SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 16, 2015, 11:39 PM
Garland
USA, NM, Albuquerque
Joined Jul 2003
517 Posts
Discussion
XPS system and electrotek switch

For more years then I can I can remember I have used heavy duty rocker switches to turn on and off my helis. Specifically this switch:

http://electrotekrc.com/store/index....&products_id=4

My current setup is:
600 sized nitro heli
XPS 10chan Rx
XPS tattletale
A123 2300mah 2 cell pack
super rocker HD switch
5 digi servos
tail gyro

My problem is every time I plug the a123 pack into the switch the tattle tale quickly turns blue..and the Rx led turns orange..I thought, damn, its draining a large a123 pack while just on the setup bench?? Im trying to program my radio.
I plug the pack straight into the Rx, and the Rx stays green for quite awhile till it turns orange. More inline with what I'd expect..

I read the XPS manual and it clearly says use no switches on your system...What are folks doing without switches? Im a lil bummed a I liked my rocker switches
Ghia is offline Find More Posts by Ghia
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 17, 2015, 01:23 AM
Gotta Luv Gasser Helis..
Gold Coast, Qld , Australia
Joined Apr 2006
339 Posts
I've used these for years , http://www.perfectregulators.com/ind...&product_id=74 ; but I replace the Deans with XT60 plugs.....
_Peter is offline Find More Posts by _Peter
Old Jan 17, 2015, 01:55 AM
Xtreme Power Systems
Lake Havasu, AZ
Joined Jun 2005
16,328 Posts
I use EC3, EC5, or 5mm bullet connectors ONLY. No type of switch, and I would definitely never use any type of electronic switch. Anytime you add something electronic to your system, you are adding extra risk.

The reason you see the low voltage warning with a receiver and Tattletale is the poor current handling capability of that switch. Fortunately, you recognize this as a problem. Convincing people a switch is bad can be extremely difficult.
JimDrew is offline Find More Posts by JimDrew
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 17, 2015, 10:26 AM
USA, NJ, Mullica Hill
Joined Dec 2004
100 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimDrew View Post
Convincing people a switch is bad can be extremely difficult.
Man is that the ever loving truth!!!!! Guys look at you like you are either on drugs or are from Mars when you tell them to get rid of the switch.

But when they have a problem and you show them it is the switch then you are their hero. A hero that is if found before they crash. If they crashed and you showed them in the post mortem, then they ask where were you before they took off.
thebluemax is online now Find More Posts by thebluemax
Old Jan 17, 2015, 11:12 PM
Tennessee
Joined Sep 2003
2,400 Posts
When I was flying pattern 40 years ago, some fliers used a shorting plug in a 3-pin Deans servo plug as a switch. The Deans plug was mounted flush with the fuselage side opposite the exhaust and the shorting plug left exposed to the airstream. I have been using a shorting in my sailplanes to avoid having to plug and unplug the battery. I am going back to the Deans three pin servo plug because I have a lot left over from my days flying Proline and Ace radios. I don't trust the modern servo plugs for applications that require frequent plugging and unplugging. Ever had a modern plug melt in your hand while plugging in the charger?

Any comments on using the old 3-pin servo plug as a switch? It sure makes a neat small switch for sailplanes. And I never used a shorting plug switch in my pattern models because Proline used the Noble switch and I never heard of one of them failing in that application.
ChuckA is offline Find More Posts by ChuckA
Old Jan 18, 2015, 09:36 PM
Garland
USA, NM, Albuquerque
Joined Jul 2003
517 Posts
So I think I'll take a servo extension lead from battery to Rx and splice into the red wire. Would a jump wire like that be alright to turn radio on off?
Old Jan 18, 2015, 10:55 PM
Xtreme Power Systems
Lake Havasu, AZ
Joined Jun 2005
16,328 Posts
Sorry, but I can't ever recommend using any type of switch.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 19, 2015, 05:26 AM
Tennessee
Joined Sep 2003
2,400 Posts
Quote:
Sorry, but I can't ever recommend using any type of switch.
But how would using a female servo plug spliced in the power lead jumped by a shorting plug differ from plugging and unplugging the battery plug.
Old Jan 19, 2015, 01:17 PM
Xtreme Power Systems
Lake Havasu, AZ
Joined Jun 2005
16,328 Posts
If you are going to make a large "jumper" that you short to enable the battery, then that is fine as long as that jumper has some sort of mechanism to lock it into place. I have seen several planes crash that were using an external deans connector as the jumper and it just fell out due to vibration. At the scene of the crash, the jumper was nowhere to be found.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 19, 2015, 04:45 PM
Joined Feb 2010
15 Posts
Can you show us some no switch ideas or suggestions? If you use a jumper how do you charge the battery in the plane?
Photos please.
Thanks, Darren
aarcwarbirds is online now Find More Posts by aarcwarbirds
Old Jan 19, 2015, 05:20 PM
Tennessee
Joined Sep 2003
2,400 Posts
Quote:
If you are going to make a large "jumper" that you short to enable the battery, then that is fine as long as that jumper has some sort of mechanism to lock it into place. I have seen several planes crash that were using an external deans connector as the jumper and it just fell out due to vibration. At the scene of the crash, the jumper was nowhere to be found.
Vibration is one problem I don't have with my sailplanes and the plug would be inside the model under the nose cone. I like the Deans plug a lot more than the servo plugs used in modern radios. I wish someone would provide a simple small device to use as a switch for those of us that don't like plugging and unplugging those dinky unreliable plugs used on most battery packs.
Old Jan 19, 2015, 07:41 PM
Fly inverted, it's more fun.
United States, SC, Greenville
Joined Apr 2006
258 Posts
I have it. The most sure solution for the switch saga. Take a soldering iron and a pair wire cutters to flight line. To start, solder the power lead and the radio lead together just before the flight and cut them apart right after landing. Vibration issue eliminated. Now can we please move to something else. This issue and disagreement will go as long as model aviation exists. Its sorta like model airplane in flight refueling. Giggle giggle.
tholmes345 is offline Find More Posts by tholmes345
Old Jan 19, 2015, 11:08 PM
Garland
USA, NM, Albuquerque
Joined Jul 2003
517 Posts
I appreciate the ideas! Im thinking a male/female of these molex plugs on the positive wire as a jumper.

http://www.mouser.com/Search/include...Num=19-09-1026
Old Jan 20, 2015, 03:21 PM
North Plains Oregon
Joined Jul 2006
128 Posts
Sw

I have been in RC for 60 years and have used switches. I have decided that
slide switches for contacts are the best, no switches are better but not to
useful. I suggest you brake your switch apart and see what kind of switch
you have. Slide switches have three parts, like an old knife . They have one
part slides inside two other parts so they can't vibrate apart.
I also make a soft mount, a metal or plywood mount for the switch, two
grommets to mount it to the airframe. Then a little piano wire thought the
switch out the side of the airframe and solder a eyelet on the end for a handle.
I have used these switch on all my XPS power airplanes for control only.
Darryl
Darryl Usher is offline Find More Posts by Darryl Usher
Old Jan 20, 2015, 04:08 PM
Xtreme Power Systems
Lake Havasu, AZ
Joined Jun 2005
16,328 Posts
"Useful" - something that is not carried home in a trash bag after crashing due to a switch failure.

RCG Plus Member