SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 25, 2015, 09:51 PM
iMultirotors
Australia, NSW, Shellharbour
Joined Aug 2012
928 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gr.panorama View Post
Will a 20C battery (Turnigy 20-30c 2200mAh) be adequate to power a 450 frame with 1000Kv motors, 1045 props, APM 2.6 board and G2D gimbal? will I have interruptions in windy conditions? Is 30C (30-40C) battery a must for this set up, or the 20C will be ok too?
Is that a 2S, 3S or 4S?

What size are the motors?

Generally for a 450 size the motors would be 2826 or 2830.
These motors mostly have a max amp draw of 20A give or take.
So 4 of them is 80A. Means your battery has to be able to provide 80A continuous.
A 2200 20C can do 44A continuous, 30C 66A, 40C 88A etc..

Back to the motors and props.
The 10" props are fine on them motors on 2S, but are too big for 3S and 4S.
For 3S you need no bigger than 9" and 4S 8"
There's more to it than just this, so do some research and set it up properly or you will just end up having issues with tuning, flyability or killing batteries, esc's or motors.
Senator315 is offline Find More Posts by Senator315
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 25, 2015, 10:09 PM
Australia, WA, Albany
Joined Oct 2014
220 Posts
For that size copter I would definitely plan at least 80A. Probably a 3300mAh 30C would be good

I had a 450 quad with 980kV motors and 9" props and when doing some flips and punchouts my 4S 2200mAh 45C batteries (turnigy nanotech) came back warm. I did a test on the ground with a current meter and I think the actual reading for 4S and 9" props was around 60 or so amps, but that wasn't very scientific
So I would think 2200mAh 20C would be too low. Some batteries C are overrated too (mine might have been) so it's always good to aim a bit higher.
Nicoduf is offline Find More Posts by Nicoduf
Old Mar 26, 2015, 12:47 AM
Germany, RP, Diez
Joined May 2009
1,084 Posts
That's the theory.
Actual practice:

Quad of roughly 1000g, 450 sized. D2830 Motors (21A max draw, these guys are unneccessarily power-hungry), 9" props. 2200 mAh 25C battery. Acrobatic flying, lots of speed runs, flips and double flips (needing a strong throttle burst).

Battery comes back slightly warm (which is in fact perfect operation conditions for a LiPo).

If you are using the full current draw in flight, your copter will be out of sight long before you even hit the "burst rating" limit of 10 seconds. You'd be surprised how few amps are usually drawn in actual flight compared to static testing.

I flew the very same motors on 10" without any issue whatsoever on a 1.6 kg camera quad. There I did use 4000 mAh 25C batteries, however. The motors got warm, but never so hot that they were at any risk.

Now I fly 2216/900 kv motors on a 1.7 kg quad with 11" and 12", and they remain cool to the touch. At full upwards acceleration, I get a maximum draw of 38 amps.

So unless you plan on doing insane speed runs or heavy lifting (that does cause the amps to go up bigtime), 2200 mAh with 20-30A will do fine, but will not give you huge amounts of flying time. Really depends on your AUW, which was not mentioned yet.
Arakon is online now Find More Posts by Arakon
Old Mar 26, 2015, 12:50 AM
Joined Feb 2015
33 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arakon View Post
3.2.1 is the latest APM version of the software. 3.3 and up are for Pixhawk etc.
And use the latest MP, using an older one may cause strange names and wrong settings.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicoduf View Post
To be able to upload old or custom firmwares to the APM board you have to tick the "advanced" mode in the Mission Planner options.
At the firmware upload screen there is a little button (just text really) that says" old firmwares" or something like this. Once clicked you can choose a previous firmware from the list

But I would only recommend you do this if 3.2 doesnt work for you and you find information stating that your specific issue is new to 3.2 and wasn't present in a previous version
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpjf01 View Post
I think you just need to click on the "Pick previous firmware" text at the bottom right of the Initial Setup/Install Firmware screen.

If you want the latest reliable versions for APM choose Arducopter 3.2.1 and Arduplane 3.2.3. Both of these will be available from the Initial Setup/Install firmware screens in the current version of Mission Planner.
Thanks everyone! The APM module arrived, firmware installed well and is working as much as it can right now since I do not have anything else hooked up yet.
bobrc11 is online now Find More Posts by bobrc11
Old Mar 26, 2015, 01:49 AM
FPV! and nothing else matters.
Israel, Haifa
Joined Aug 2010
2,040 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator315 View Post
Is that a 2S, 3S or 4S?

What size are the motors?

Generally for a 450 size the motors would be 2826 or 2830.
These motors mostly have a max amp draw of 20A give or take.
So 4 of them is 80A. Means your battery has to be able to provide 80A continuous.
A 2200 20C can do 44A continuous, 30C 66A, 40C 88A etc..

Back to the motors and props.
The 10" props are fine on them motors on 2S, but are too big for 3S and 4S.
For 3S you need no bigger than 9" and 4S 8"
There's more to it than just this, so do some research and set it up properly or you will just end up having issues with tuning, flyability or killing batteries, esc's or motors.

450 size quad, with some FPV stuff .. over all weight can ne up to 2 kg.
and they hover at gps mode / loiter at ~15-20 amps.
you are not flying at max amp draw ...

2200/3 batteries are too small.

i will go with 4000/-5000 3S or 4S depands on your electrical / prop setup
guy1a is offline Find More Posts by guy1a
Old Mar 26, 2015, 07:25 AM
iMultirotors
Australia, NSW, Shellharbour
Joined Aug 2012
928 Posts
Quote:
That's the theory.
Actual practice:
Exactly.
It's easy for us to speculate without knowing all the details.
In practice it is different than theory, but for a newb like we all were at one point, theory is all you have and it's a good place to start.
If you know the theoretical maximums of your equipment and stay below them, you'll be safe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by guy1a View Post
450 size quad, with some FPV stuff .. over all weight can ne up to 2 kg.
and they hover at gps mode / loiter at ~15-20 amps.
you are not flying at max amp draw ...

2200/3 batteries are too small.

i will go with 4000/-5000 3S or 4S depands on your electrical / prop setup
True it can, but is it? We don't know, so we can set high or low limits.

Arakon is stating low, and you high. Both can be right or wrong.

Knowing the weight and intended use is critical before you even think about buying motors, props, ESC's etc..
We all know this now, but think back to when you first started, clueless right.

We need to know all the info before we hand out advise on what people should spend their money on.
People can be disheartened pretty quickly if they feel they spent their hard earned money on something useless or at least not how they imagined it to be.
Senator315 is offline Find More Posts by Senator315
Old Mar 26, 2015, 10:27 PM
Joined Mar 2015
2 Posts
Simple question:
How can I wipe my board clean to start from scratch?
Thanks,
Aerojeb
Aerojeb is offline Find More Posts by Aerojeb
Old Mar 26, 2015, 11:59 PM
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Aug 2012
1,813 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator315 View Post
Exactly.
It's easy for us to speculate without knowing all the details.
In practice it is different than theory, but for a newb like we all were at one point, theory is all you have and it's a good place to start.
If you know the theoretical maximums of your equipment and stay below them, you'll be safe.

True it can, but is it? We don't know, so we can set high or low limits.

Arakon is stating low, and you high. Both can be right or wrong.

Knowing the weight and intended use is critical before you even think about buying motors, props, ESC's etc..
We all know this now, but think back to when you first started, clueless right.

We need to know all the info before we hand out advise on what people should spend their money on.
People can be disheartened pretty quickly if they feel they spent their hard earned money on something useless or at least not how they imagined it to be.
I find it's better just to give working (not theoretical) examples of rigs that you own.

EG 1.
450 size quad, HK plastic frame, Pixhawk, Afro 30a ESC, Sunnysky 2212/980KV, 10x4.5 props, telemetry radio, GPS, PM, D4R-II Rx.

Weight without battery 940g. Flight time 2200 3s battery around 7.5 mins with mix of lot of speed flying and some hover.

EG2.
RCT Spider frame. RCT dome. APM, PM, GPS, telemetry radio, Mobius camera on 2 servo pan/tilt mount, Video Tx, X8R receiver, NTM 35-30 1100KV, LEDS.

Weight without battery 1.5kg. Flight time 4000mah 3s battery just over 10 min. Flying missions in auto.
mpjf01 is offline Find More Posts by mpjf01
Old Yesterday, 04:06 AM
Chris
The Netherlands, NB, Eindhoven
Joined Sep 2010
2,233 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerojeb View Post
Simple question:
How can I wipe my board clean to start from scratch?
Thanks,
Aerojeb
In mp, configuration, advanced parameter list, load defaults.

If you are paranoid about eeprom remnants, you'd do it like this, although I'm not 100% sure its the best way :
Load defaults, load a different firmware on it (rover) and reload the firmware u need.
In earlier versions there was a command in terminal, but not anymore.
cmavr8 is offline Find More Posts by cmavr8
Old Yesterday, 10:31 AM
Italy
Joined Nov 2011
533 Posts
Hi guys. I just did this easy bridge between telemetry and bluetooth.
Very easy and spacee saving! But only applies to a specific kind of telemetry module.
APM telemetry bluetooth bridge: the easy way! (1 min 46 sec)
matrixFLYER is offline Find More Posts by matrixFLYER
Old Yesterday, 12:45 PM
Germany, RP, Diez
Joined May 2009
1,084 Posts
Actually, the same thing works with any other module.. I used a second air module (from GLB for about 13$) and just soldered VCC/RX/TX/GND to it, slapped a small LiPo on it, and it works fine.
Arakon is online now Find More Posts by Arakon
Old Today, 05:00 AM
Italy
Joined Nov 2011
533 Posts
Quote:
Actually, the same thing works with any other module.. I used a second air module (from GLB for about 13$) and just soldered VCC/RX/TX/GND to it, slapped a small LiPo on it, and it works fine.
Yes actually I wrote the easy way!
matrixFLYER is offline Find More Posts by matrixFLYER