HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 04, 2012, 02:57 AM
Los Angeles
Joined Nov 2006
116 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sooby22 View Post
Also, you are right about Kv and prop size however you need to factor in what size battery. 3cell versus 4 cell. I was running the 4s on the 100mph wing. 3000kv x 11.1v =33300 rpm where as 3000kv x 14.8v =44400rpm...big difference there. That might be the point of confusion too.
True! I was assuming 3 cell as I dont recall anyone in this thread using 4 cells with a popwing.
ichiban is offline Find More Posts by ichiban
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 04, 2012, 07:08 AM
Fly it low.. and fly it fast!
United States, MA, Westport
Joined Nov 2011
1,716 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kf1111 View Post
I had a barely used 2200kv bp motor and a way too large 55amp ESC, it went in. I never used this with the supplied parts, they died right away. But, with this motor and the same used servos this wing kills it. I don't know how fast it does go, but I'd guess it in the neighborhood of 100 mph full speed. I use a 6/4 or 6/5 prop with a 1300 mah battery COG came out perfect. I have 3 30 inch strips of led's on and it did not seem to affect the COG. I get about 20 minute rides with the 6/4 less with higher pitch and 5 inch props.
2200kv motor
55A ESC
6X4 or 6X5 prop
1300mah lipo battery
20 minute flights

Can we have the specs (or the website) on that brushless motor?
And how many cells is the 1300mah lipo? 2 cells, 3 cells or 4 cells?

Thanks
Hit N Run is offline Find More Posts by Hit N Run
Old Oct 04, 2012, 06:49 PM
United States, NM, Santa Fe
Joined Aug 2011
411 Posts
REVIEW OF INSANELY FAST MINI POP WING BNF-built by Johnnymeg

These are my opinions and experience. I hadn’t seen a thorough review so I thought I would write one.

Fly: A+, easy and fun to fly, does great in wind.

Power system: A+, great choice of fully functional lower cost electronics, 3s is amazing, 60+mph, Johnny’s spicy secret build recipe is awesome. While you could perhaps duplicate it yourself—you would need to order parts from at least 2 places and wait for shipping for 2-3 weeks.

Customer Service: A+, very quick to respond, very helpful.

Value: A, it’s ready to go once you glue on the winglets and program your TX. As mentioned you could probably build one yourself—but Johnny has found the right combination of electronics and it’s ready to go and he has dozens of satisfied customers and he gets it to you fast.

Shipping: A+, priority mail with tracking, I ordered mine on Thursday and got it on Monday.

Build: A-, 99% of Johnny’s minipopwings are probably A+, mine needed a control horn adjustment and a new servo—which Johnny sent to me. Besides that--he built it well and with care. His placement of ESC and receiver is great for protection. Plane is strengthened with amazing goop on leading edges and also reinforced with strapping tape. Plane seems very durable.
flyrtim is offline Find More Posts by flyrtim
Old Oct 04, 2012, 11:49 PM
Yea, I fly dusty planes..
United States, LA, Angie
Joined Apr 2009
2,052 Posts
+10..JOHNNYMEGS wings are worth every penny and his C.S. and shipping is A+++++. Great wing JM!!! Lite, STRONG and FASSSSSSSSST Dave/ZZ
zeezee is offline Find More Posts by zeezee
Old Oct 05, 2012, 08:59 PM
Clear Skies & Contrails
Edwards AFB, CA
Joined May 2009
2,437 Posts
Enjoying the TechOne PopWing 1200 from Nitroplanes. Flying it stock and happy with the flight times. My only mod was adding carbon fiber rods over the push rods to eliminated rod flex.

More photos on our RC Groups Blog:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/member.php?u=263724

Best,
Tony
xplaneguy is offline Find More Posts by xplaneguy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Freewing 80mm F-86
Old Oct 06, 2012, 04:31 PM
Foamies are my homies!
Las Vegas, NV.
Joined May 2009
396 Posts
Here's is a video of my Mini Popwing with it's new motor. Speed is great and now has unlimited vertical! I'm super happy with this motor.

Techone Mini Popwing with keychain camera (8 min 20 sec)

The motor is an Emax 2812 1600kv
6x4e prop
ESC is a Dynam 25amp
Servos are EXI 9 gram
Batteries I use are either a Turnigy Nano-tech 3 cell 1000mah 45-90c or a Sky lipo 3 cell 1000mah 40c

I get around 8-10 minutes of flight time and the motor comes down only slightly warm. The ESC is cool to the touch.
Captain Ron is online now Find More Posts by Captain Ron
Old Oct 07, 2012, 02:26 AM
Los Angeles
Joined Nov 2006
116 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Ron View Post
Here's is a video of my Mini Popwing with it's new motor.
Good thing I did not eat recently! Congrats on your new setup. Lasertoyz uses that motor with a 7x5 prop on the 900mm Popwing.
ichiban is offline Find More Posts by ichiban
Old Oct 07, 2012, 09:52 PM
Joined Jan 2012
75 Posts
CG Advice / question?: Just got my Popwing 900 built and out for flying today. I have done some glide tests and I thought I had the CG right. But when I apply power and try to make a right turn it nose dives into the ground. Really twitchy, so i suspect the CG really is off.

I've tried with a 1.3 and a 1.0 nanotech 3S battery , to try and change up the CG. With the 1.3 it appears to be balanced and glides well. But with power it is a lawn dart.

Thanks
uavrat is offline Find More Posts by uavrat
Old Oct 07, 2012, 10:32 PM
Fly it low.. and fly it fast!
United States, MA, Westport
Joined Nov 2011
1,716 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by uavrat View Post
CG Advice / question?: Just got my Popwing 900 built and out for flying today. I have done some glide tests and I thought I had the CG right. But when I apply power and try to make a right turn it nose dives into the ground. Really twitchy, so i suspect the CG really is off.

I've tried with a 1.3 and a 1.0 nanotech 3S battery , to try and change up the CG. With the 1.3 it appears to be balanced and glides well. But with power it is a lawn dart.

Thanks
Could you show us a picture with a "profile view"?
I find they fly the best with a little "reflex" (slightly up) on the elevons.

(And yes, that is a J-3 Piper Cub 60 in the background)
Hit N Run is offline Find More Posts by Hit N Run
Old Oct 07, 2012, 10:34 PM
Foamies are my homies!
Las Vegas, NV.
Joined May 2009
396 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ichiban View Post
Good thing I did not eat recently! Congrats on your new setup. Lasertoyz uses that motor with a 7x5 prop on the 900mm Popwing.
Ha, Ha! I was just putting it through its paces. It's actually a smooth stable flyer but with the camera on the nose it looks a bit crazy.

Quote:

Thanks
I would check to be sure your motor mount is on straight. It should not be off center or angled at all.
Captain Ron is online now Find More Posts by Captain Ron
Old Oct 08, 2012, 03:57 AM
United States, FL, Mayo
Joined Jul 2012
144 Posts
cg should be about the middle of the equipment hole, or that is about where i set mine. I suspect you have yours farther back. Also, when I first got mine i was not throwing it hard enough and giving it too much throttle and it was torque spinning into the ground on launch. Less throttle and a harder throw fixed it.
Schoolya is offline Find More Posts by Schoolya
Old Oct 08, 2012, 11:19 AM
Joined Jan 2012
75 Posts
900 build

Attached are photos. As you can see I modified the build a bit. Where the equipment and battery bay go, I simply cut that foam out and re-glued it back in place so the bottom of the wing is smooth. But locations are exactly the same.
It can be wet or snow around here and I just see little sense in that design to hang batteries and electronics on the bottom of a wing.

I added strapping tape to the leading edge, and to the rear near the prop. First toss or two had prop chew a chunk from that trailing edge.

Thanks for the input.

Notes: I did check motor alignment this morning, looks straight as an arrow.
When I toss just to do a glide test it does like a little bit of up elevon, then it seems to glide nice. But when I apply power and try a turn to the right it dives straight down.
Old Oct 08, 2012, 12:01 PM
Malaysia
Joined Feb 2012
335 Posts
Quote:
Notes: I did check motor alignment this morning, looks straight as an arrow.
When I toss just to do a glide test it does like a little bit of up elevon, then it seems to glide nice. But when I apply power and try a turn to the right it dives straight down.
I had this issue once, it turned out my Tx was at fault. Calibration were out! If your Tx is okay, then I'm not being that much of a help ..
neato4u is offline Find More Posts by neato4u
Old Oct 08, 2012, 12:34 PM
ICrashRCs
United States, TN, Memphis
Joined Jun 2011
1,196 Posts
So you can fly turning left all day long with no problem?
You say it's twitchy. You have low rates set plenty low with some expo?
Give us a reference point of where your CG spot is looking at the bottom.
IFlyRCs is offline Find More Posts by IFlyRCs
Old Oct 09, 2012, 02:50 PM
Joined Jan 2012
75 Posts
OK, thanks for the feedback. I changed:
1. Transmitter - dialed the throws way down, it was just too twitchy set up with defaults. I need to go back and tune it some more
2. Added weight to front. Turns out it WAS tail heavy, and I used a 1600 nanotech battery to balance it out. I don't know the AUW but I'll check that tonight.

Much better results, at least I could get it to fly around the park. I just need to get better at flying a wing. Also turns to left are fine, turns to right are too slow (thus the TX tuning there on throws).

For me it is worth the effort to move the components to the top of the wing. I just can't see much sense in letting it all dangle down and get dragged on landings.

Thanks again for the feedback and ideas.