New Products Flash Sale
Old May 12, 2015, 01:54 AM
Find More Posts by pchaplo
Endless wonder
United States, TX, Dallas
Joined Apr 2015
48 Posts
Discussion
How many 6s batteries can I balance at once w/ this board?

I got this board with a used PL6 charger. How many 6s batteries can I balance at one time w/ this board? I see that one of the connectors is labeled "4~5s" -- I take it that means "4s to 5s" ...but even though there are 6 pins? Please take a look and give me your count of maximum number of 6s batteries that I can connect at once. Thanks and happy landings!
pchaplo is offline Find More Posts by pchaplo
to remove ads between posts
Old May 12, 2015, 02:13 AM
Find More Posts by Race Miata
Vancouver, Canada
Joined Nov 2004
526 Posts
This is not a paraboard. There's only 1 6S XH port. The smaller ports are TP/FP. A 6S TP/FP battery will have 2 plugs to go into the upper 2 slots together on the right. Three-S needs 4 pins, 4S needs 5 pins, 5S needs 6pins, 6S needs 7 pins, etc.
Race Miata is online now Find More Posts by Race Miata
Old May 12, 2015, 02:32 AM
Find More Posts by abenn
Letchworth, Great Britain (UK)
Joined Jul 2004
12,735 Posts
If you have 6S batteries with different type balance plugs, I think you could connect two at a time -- one in the TP double socket at the top right, and one in the 6S (7-pin) socket at the left.
abenn is online now Find More Posts by abenn
Old May 12, 2015, 02:57 PM
Find More Posts by vollrathd
Joined Jan 2007
1,149 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pchaplo View Post
I got this board with a used PL6 charger. How many 6s batteries can I balance at one time w/ this board? I see that one of the connectors is labeled "4~5s" -- I take it that means "4s to 5s" ...but even though there are 6 pins? Please take a look and give me your count of maximum number of 6s batteries that I can connect at once. Thanks and happy landings!
Here is the Cellpro parallel charging setup. This unit has electronic auto resetting fuses on all balance leads, plus fuses on the power leads. On a parallel charging setup without protective equipment, their is a risk of getting something wrong, and instantly frying all the battery balance wires. Or worse.

http://www.revolectrix.com/MPA_XH.htm
vollrathd is offline Find More Posts by vollrathd
Old May 12, 2015, 08:32 PM
Find More Posts by Dennis Everett
United States, CA, Ontario
Joined Mar 2002
8,127 Posts
you can balance one at a time with that board or any board , a para board wont balance each battery , it will give you the average of how many battries are being charged , ask people that ruined packs that way when one cell was bad in one pack .
Dennis Everett is online now Find More Posts by Dennis Everett
Old May 12, 2015, 10:41 PM
Find More Posts by vollrathd
Joined Jan 2007
1,149 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Everett View Post
you can balance one at a time with that board or any board , a para board wont balance each battery , it will give you the average of how many battries are being charged , ask people that ruined packs that way when one cell was bad in one pack .
Interesting.

I've got a pair of Cellpro PL8 chargers, and have watched them deal with way out of balance 6S2P A123 packs. (That happened when two more half charged cells were added to an existing fully charged battery pack, making it an 7S2P Pack)

The PL8 immediately went into a "Safe" charging mode, where the charging current dropped from 20 Amps down to a half an Amp, and went into exact cell balancing mode where every cell voltage matched all the other cells.
vollrathd is offline Find More Posts by vollrathd
Old May 13, 2015, 02:00 AM
Find More Posts by abenn
Letchworth, Great Britain (UK)
Joined Jul 2004
12,735 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vollrathd View Post
Interesting.

I've got a pair of Cellpro PL8 chargers, and have watched them deal with way out of balance 6S2P A123 packs. (That happened when two more half charged cells were added to an existing fully charged battery pack, making it an 7S2P Pack)

The PL8 immediately went into a "Safe" charging mode, where the charging current dropped from 20 Amps down to a half an Amp, and went into exact cell balancing mode where every cell voltage matched all the other cells.
I don't know how it does it, but I had the same thing happen with my PL8 when the balance plug on one of my two 6S packs was making a bad contact for one cell. I verified the problem by stopping the charge and then charging one at a time, then cleaned the contact and all was well.
abenn is online now Find More Posts by abenn
Old May 13, 2015, 03:08 AM
Find More Posts by desertstalker
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Feb 2010
2,003 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vollrathd View Post
Interesting.

So some cells were already full?

Normal then, it has to drop to 500mA as that is the limit of the bleed resistors in the balancer.
desertstalker is offline Find More Posts by desertstalker
Old May 13, 2015, 03:46 AM
Vancouver, Canada
Joined Nov 2004
526 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertstalker View Post
So some cells were already full?

Normal then, it has to drop to 500mA as that is the limit of the bleed resistors in the balancer.
It doesn't have to have a fully charged cell. When cell voltage discrepency is high enough (I don't know what the trigger level is) the PL6 and iCharger/Reaktor may drop charge current at various level to balance the cells. I've seen cell voltages no higher than 4.0V and the iCharger would cycle dropping most of the charge current enough to have the Honda generator econ mode ramp up and down engine speed.
Old May 13, 2015, 03:52 AM
Vancouver, Canada
Joined Nov 2004
526 Posts
Note that having cell voltage imbalance from a pack that has matched cell IRs is a totally different scenario than having a pack with too high discrepency in cell IRs. The latter is worse for parallel charging.