New Products Flash Sale
Old May 17, 2015, 03:20 PM
Find More Posts by InvertedGForce
United States, KS
Joined Oct 2014
84 Posts
Kind of a tough day to get cruise speed wind was 15-20mph, somewhere around 30-40mph if say and amps around 10-15, at probably 50-60% throttle. I believe I'm fairly light at around 5.4lbs.
InvertedGForce is online now Find More Posts by InvertedGForce
to remove ads between posts
Old May 17, 2015, 10:38 PM
Find More Posts by Wildewinds
Easily bored
West Covina, California
Joined Aug 2004
443 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petrie View Post
Wildewinds - You have had time to get several flights in now. How is the Flexidip paint holding up on the foam? Looks great and thinking of trying it.
It really seems to be working well. I had a few landings on my flying site's super hard and rocky surface and I feel that the Flexidip really helped with the durability of the fuselage.

Also, I got the suggestion from a guy on the FPVlab forum to use gaffer's tape on the fuse. That stuff works REALLY well. Sticks to the flexidip like crazy and all my landings haven't done any type of damage to that tape.
Wildewinds is offline Find More Posts by Wildewinds
Old May 17, 2015, 11:00 PM
Find More Posts by Petrie
United States, AR, Lockesburg
Joined Feb 2012
1,239 Posts
Specking out all my parts. What are the best servos to run in the SH? Gluing them into a slot like they are I don't want to upgrade them later. Thinking of FrSky D25SA but maybe an EMax or HiTec?
Petrie is online now Find More Posts by Petrie
Old May 18, 2015, 07:31 AM
Find More Posts by gtlavin56
Joined Oct 2011
619 Posts
Here my lastest video of my own project, just to share
this one flying with Dragon Link
Mexico Tour Series Part 3 (2 min 31 sec)
gtlavin56 is offline Find More Posts by gtlavin56
Old May 18, 2015, 07:56 AM
Find More Posts by farmertom
My planes plow into the field
United States, TN, Taft
Joined Oct 2012
710 Posts
Quote:
Specking out all my parts. What are the best servos to run in the SH? Gluing them into a slot like they are I don't want to upgrade them later. Thinking of FrSky D25SA but maybe an EMax or HiTec?
I have had good luck with the HS65MG servos
farmertom is online now Find More Posts by farmertom
Old May 18, 2015, 12:00 PM
Find More Posts by Daemon
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
30,181 Posts
I use HS-65MGs for my SH and most of my other foam FPV planes.
Besides being a strong reliable mini servo, they are more resistant to noise from
the video gear than many of the cheaper alternatives.
Daemon is offline Find More Posts by Daemon
Old May 18, 2015, 12:04 PM
Find More Posts by Daemon
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
30,181 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by InvertedGForce View Post
Kind of a tough day to get cruise speed wind was 15-20mph, somewhere around 30-40mph if say and amps around 10-15, at probably 50-60% throttle. I believe I'm fairly light at around 5.4lbs.
Even just 30mph ground speed against a 20mph wind means you're pushing the plane at 50mph through
the air. That's well above its most efficient airspeed. Can mess with motors and props
all day, and you won't overcome that fact in any meaningful way. Most efficient airspeed for
the Skyhunter is around 30mph. That means if you want max flight time, you probably
shouldn't try to do long range flights in that much wind.
Daemon is offline Find More Posts by Daemon
Old May 18, 2015, 02:28 PM
Find More Posts by AdrianM
United States, FL, Land O' Lakes
Joined Mar 2001
1,018 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemon View Post
Even just 30mph ground speed against a 20mph wind means you're pushing the plane at 50mph through
the air. That's well above its most efficient airspeed. Can mess with motors and props
all day, and you won't overcome that fact in any meaningful way. Most efficient airspeed for
the Skyhunter is around 30mph. That means if you want max flight time, you probably
shouldn't try to do long range flights in that much wind.
Windy days are fly close FPV and horse around days. Flying distances or high altitude on windy days is dangerous. You have to know exactly where you are and stay up wind. If you get blown down wind and you dont have the speed/battery to get back or you get too high and you plane can't penetrate wind well your plane or MR is gone.
AdrianM is offline Find More Posts by AdrianM
Old May 18, 2015, 05:44 PM
Find More Posts by InvertedGForce
United States, KS
Joined Oct 2014
84 Posts
The farthest I flew was 1/2 mile away, up wind. I've got to get some more "long distance" fpv experience in before I venture out too far. I am a private pilot, so navigating around is pretty natural for me. It's good to know the efficient speed of the skyhunter, I will have to see my amp draw at 30mph.
InvertedGForce is online now Find More Posts by InvertedGForce
Old May 19, 2015, 12:11 PM
Find More Posts by onurboy
Joined Sep 2011
162 Posts
Hi Folks,
I sold my Skyhunter 6 months ago. I have a Talon and Skywalker 1900 but I miss my hunter so much
That's why I made a scratchbuilt mini style hunter and a little happy with it now
Here's my latest video:
Scratchbuilt Mini Skyhunter FPV - Flown with Dragonlink - www.rconur.com (3 min 19 sec)
onurboy is offline Find More Posts by onurboy
Old May 22, 2015, 10:17 PM
Find More Posts by norberto83
United States, FL, Key West
Joined Feb 2008
276 Posts
hi

Quote:
Originally Posted by CW4R View Post
I'm using a Cobra C-3520/12 Brushless Motor, Kv=820 and a 12X6 prop and I usually cruise around 5-7amps.

My best flight time was 55min and that was in a real calm day. I mean no wind at all.

Ben
Thanks for the info.I got the cobra and now i,m using 1/3 of the throttle or less to cruise.
norberto83 is offline Find More Posts by norberto83
Old Yesterday, 06:47 AM
Find More Posts by Petrie
United States, AR, Lockesburg
Joined Feb 2012
1,239 Posts
You guys are flying the SH and mine is still on the bench so you would know. I only know what I can calculate and read. The first page on this thread is calling for a 2820 motor with around 800kV. I'm reading here the preferred motor is a C-3520. That is almost twice the watts. Is that much needed? I like the cruise at 5-7amps @ 30mph. Is the 3520 what it takes todo that?
Petrie is online now Find More Posts by Petrie
Old Yesterday, 07:37 AM
Find More Posts by norberto83
United States, FL, Key West
Joined Feb 2008
276 Posts
Quote:
You guys are flying the SH and mine is still on the bench so you would know. I only know what I can calculate and read. The first page on this thread is calling for a 2820 motor with around 800kV. I'm reading here the preferred motor is a C-3520. That is almost twice the watts. Is that much needed? I like the cruise at 5-7amps @ 30mph. Is the 3520 what it takes todo that?
Hello
May be a smaller motor that may give you the same result, i don't know which one. The c 3520 12. Will give you that result and is only 50 grams more heavy then my previous motor. I'm using a 4s 5100 mha and a 13x6.5 pusher apc prop and the power used is extremely low.
norberto83 is offline Find More Posts by norberto83
Old Yesterday, 03:24 PM
Find More Posts by Noircogi
United States, CA, Pleasanton
Joined Feb 2013
1,852 Posts
Larger props are more efficient than smaller ones.

If you use an 80A ESC with active freewheeling with the C3520-12, you can run a 13x10 prop and get better efficiency than a smaller prop turning faster. Just don't run full throttle for long periods. I set up my pixhawk for 80% throttle max so it never goes over about 45Amps which is below the sustained limit on the Cobra motor.

Having active freewheeling in your ESC is very good for long range FPV since the vast majority of the flight is spent at 30% throttle or so.
I use this one with an aeronaut cam folding prop.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=20693

If you get that ESC, make sure to get the programming card too. They come configured for helicopters, have a ton of settings and are a nightmare to configure via the sticks.

A few of us with Talons spent significant effort finding the sweet spot here. If you just want to go for the maximum straight-and-level cruise, you can use the 550 KV version of the 3520 and a 14x12 prop. I've tried that and don't like it because that combo will spike much higher on current when not going slow, straight and level and has less performance for sport flying.

Although it's not quite as efficient as the talon, the Skyhunter has pretty much identical power needs. I have a Cobra 3525 on my skyhunter but that big motor is not needed.

Using the aeronaut props works really well on this sort of plane. I've never broken one yet, while it's pretty common with any of the larger non-folders. They're also super efficient and quiet. If you enable braking in your ESC, you will get vastly improved gliding performance with one. I actually thermal-ed my talon up over 1000ft at the end of a 1 hour FPV flight after arriving back at home base.
Noircogi is online now Find More Posts by Noircogi
Last edited by Noircogi; Yesterday at 03:35 PM.