New Products Flash Sale
Old May 15, 2015, 05:36 PM
Find More Posts by MegaS
Joined Apr 2015
18 Posts
Yes, that was one of the videos I've watched that swayed me. I knew there had to be a super tough foam out there that could do this (at a reasonable price). I am (slowly) getting into the FPV stuff as well and also figured it would be a great platform whenever I get around to that. I also liked this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZyGNyKOVmg]
MegaS is offline Find More Posts by MegaS
to remove ads between posts
Old May 15, 2015, 09:25 PM
Find More Posts by doughpat
Indonesia, Special Capital Region of Jakarta, Jakarta
Joined May 2009
354 Posts
For the record, I have 15 14-15 year olds building Pelicans and they fly like a dream! I have made quite a few modifications (mostly to build as ultra-light as possible) to the instructions, but the planes fly great. I have a couple kids who have rigged up a simple bomb drop mechanism, and another group who are working on LEDs. Its a great airframe for tinkering!
doughpat is offline Find More Posts by doughpat
Old May 16, 2015, 04:42 PM
Lee
Find More Posts by Lee
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
9,698 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by doughpat View Post
For the record, I have 15 14-15 year olds building Pelicans and they fly like a dream! I have made quite a few modifications (mostly to build as ultra-light as possible) to the instructions, but the planes fly great. I have a couple kids who have rigged up a simple bomb drop mechanism, and another group who are working on LEDs. Its a great airframe for tinkering!
How light have you gotten the Pelicans?
I would like to see your modifications.
Please post pictures and videos if you will.
Please list the motor and ESC and servos you are using.
Are you flying them indoors?

Lee
Lee is offline Find More Posts by Lee
Old May 19, 2015, 02:20 PM
Find More Posts by MegaS
Joined Apr 2015
18 Posts
Kit came in today. I will be eagerly awaiting my HK order now. Planning on some LEDs for night flying as well, so hopefully within the coming days I can get some pics.
Old May 20, 2015, 06:32 AM
Lee
Find More Posts by Lee
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
9,698 Posts
We are after some fun and different small park and FPV videos of the Pelican, Albatross and Storm Chaser. If you have a camera and want to try your hand at editing give it a try. Please make sure the flying on the videos is within the FAA rules. We have seen some great video we can't post usually because of high altitude. Be original and let's see what you can come up with.
Old May 20, 2015, 01:43 PM
Find More Posts by raybea528
Ray
United States, CT, Plainfield
Joined Dec 2012
91 Posts
New aileron wing

Lee,

Just watched the build video of the new aileron wing. Looks great! Guess I'll have to get yet another Albatross. The poly wing albatross is my oldest flying plane and I just flew it a couple nights ago with LEDs. I put landing gear and flaps on my aileron wing Albatross and fly it along side my brother's Fun Cub. I'm planning to build this next one as light as I can and add a Tx and camera for FPV.

The new wing will certainly speed up the build process. Any chance we might see a similar feature for the rudder and elevator? Sure would make it slick and the total build would be consistent. You'll have to run it by your Test Market.

Ray
raybea528 is offline Find More Posts by raybea528
Old May 20, 2015, 02:09 PM
Find More Posts by MegaS
Joined Apr 2015
18 Posts
What would be the best spot to mount a GoPro Hero 3? That's what I'll use for filming if anything.
Old May 20, 2015, 03:08 PM
Find More Posts by Skeetpf
United States, NY, Lancaster
Joined Feb 2003
47 Posts
I put a 36" aileron wing on the Pelican. It flies real nice and is quite agile.

I recently flew it FPV (5.8). Nothing too far but through and around trees. I like it. The wing I made was from the plane, "Funder & Lightning" It's a KFM2 wing. I put the step on top at 50%. The plans for the "Funder & Lightning" are in the Scratch build thread The wing worked good, no stall issues and will fly quite slow or fast.

Skeetpf
Skeetpf is online now Find More Posts by Skeetpf
Old May 20, 2015, 08:23 PM
Lee
Find More Posts by Lee
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
9,698 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaS View Post
What would be the best spot to mount a GoPro Hero 3? That's what I'll use for filming if anything.
A GoPro is a little large for the Pelican but it easily can be carried by the Albatross or the Storm Chaser. I like the motor on the pod to get it the prop out of the way.

I like to cut the top part of the nose back on the fuslage so the EPP foam on the fuselage is a little farther forward than the lens of the camera to protect it.

Have you seen the Mobius HD camera? It is smaller, lighter, more aerodynamic and can work as your FPV camera.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...Video_Out.html

Notice how many hits this thread has.... http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1904559