Old Jan 08, 2011, 11:47 AM
Find More Posts by epilot
Remote island inhabitant
United Kingdom, Greenham
Joined Nov 2000
6,445 Posts
Discussion
Peanut scale R/C models

Micro equipment has really come of age. Until recently if you wanted to fly Peanut models with R/C you were either stuck with actuators or very expensive micro servos. When the Minium/Vapor receiver came out here was the perfect R/C system for those that suffer from solderphobia or actuatorphobia. Since it is in the shape of a "brick" with receiver, servos and speed control all on one board it is easy to mount. It may not be suitable for all Peanut models - some don't have the room in the fuselage for the near-square brick and some Peanuts don't have enough wing area to support the weight.

I thought it would be nice with a thread dedicated to Peanut R/C models and I encourage you to show us what you have built. Info on equipment used and AUW would be appreciated.

Michael
epilot is offline Find More Posts by epilot
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 08, 2011, 11:50 AM
Find More Posts by baldguy
I eat glue
Canada, NS, Yarmouth
Joined Jul 2006
3,764 Posts
Aw, peanuts are fer elephants!
Just kidding, I love peanut scale, I've got a bunch of the little beggars, all rubber powered, mostly pioneer stuff.
baldguy is online now Find More Posts by baldguy
Old Jan 08, 2011, 12:08 PM
Remote island inhabitant
United Kingdom, Greenham
Joined Nov 2000
6,445 Posts
Perhaps I should explain why I'm so excited about R/C Peanuts: First of all there are so many plans available - many of them are free. There is also a good selection of kits available and a lot of them are laser cut these days making them quick to build. OK, they need minor conversion to fit the electric motor and R/C equipment but if you can build the model to begin with that should not pose a major challenge. The models are very cheap to build and the equipment has become very affordable as well.

I wonder - could R/C Peanut ever become a competition class like its FF brethren?
Old Jan 08, 2011, 12:42 PM
Find More Posts by E-Challenged
United States, CA, Garden Grove
Joined Oct 2000
12,984 Posts
There also are scads of around 17-24"" wingspan rubber powered designs that should fly scale-like indoors (or outdoors in calm air) with current submini receivers and tiny outrunners.

http://www.pennvalleyhobbycenter.com...exaircraft.htm
E-Challenged is offline Find More Posts by E-Challenged
Last edited by E-Challenged; Jan 08, 2011 at 12:49 PM.
Old Jan 08, 2011, 01:53 PM
Find More Posts by Tim Cullip
USA, NC, Apex
Joined Aug 2003
837 Posts
My contribution

Thanks Epilot for starting this thread. I hope it grows and lasts a long time.

Here's my contribution(s).

The first one is a 13" Bristol Scout. I used the plans that were kindly offered free by Peter Rake (he has several Peanut plans). The AUW is about 23 gms. It uses a "green dot" vapor brick which I use for rudder, elevator and I've attached a 0.7gm 1S brushless ESC that drives a 3gm AP03 brushless motor. I use a 100mah 1S lipo for powering the plane.

The second one is an SE5a (well maybe it is more like an SE5 since I didn't add the turtledeck behind the cockpit). I used Peter's Bristol Scout plans for the wings (with just minor modifications) and then some old free flight plans for the fuselage (don't remember where I got them from). Still need to add the exhaust stacks. The electronics are just about identical to the Scout except it uses an AR6400 brick rather than the vapor brick.

Use the following link for more details:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1361156

Tim Cullip
Tim Cullip is offline Find More Posts by Tim Cullip
Old Jan 08, 2011, 02:22 PM
Find More Posts by Brent Slensker
Weni, wedi, Java...
Casper, Wyoming
Joined Nov 2009
1,107 Posts
GREAT stuff!
Brent Slensker is offline Find More Posts by Brent Slensker
Old Jan 08, 2011, 10:02 PM
Find More Posts by UNGN
Power Wheels Guru
Southlake, TX
Joined Jan 2008
7,327 Posts
13" Wing span planes are tougher to put an AR6400 brick in, because of fuselage X-section, but 14 - 16" planes have just slightly wider fuselages.

I'm still working on a 14" SE5a and thinking about doing a 15" Eindecker EIII, using the plans from the "The Plan Page" using foam and carbon fibre.

I would have prefered to make then slightly smaller, but it would require the brick to be mounted in a non std way, when its easier to just scale it up a bit.
UNGN is offline Find More Posts by UNGN
Old Jan 08, 2011, 10:15 PM
Find More Posts by portablevcb
Neophyte hacker
Albuquerque, NM USA
Joined Sep 2003
16,658 Posts
Don't forget that the brick can be used with an external ESC to power a larger motor. Then you can use these things in 30" stuff too.
portablevcb is offline Find More Posts by portablevcb
Old Jan 08, 2011, 10:22 PM
Find More Posts by PeteSchug
Elmhurst, NY (Queens in NYC)
Joined Apr 2004
7,141 Posts
Very nice idea, we all build peanuts and some enterprising outfit is going to make a brick that fits a
little better.

Then, of course we start in on the pistacio models.

I'd really like to be able to fly in my apartment with something that looks like an airplane.

At the price of balsa today, the idea of being able to make several planes for the cost of one is not lost on me.

I'm typing this on an iPad, and I've been known to spend ten or fifteen minutes looking for it, so I guess I will have to stick with vivid colors for my caraway seed models.

Pete, only kidding, have a Pietinpol around here. ... someplace?
PeteSchug is offline Find More Posts by PeteSchug
Old Jan 08, 2011, 10:23 PM
Find More Posts by philipa_240sx
Ontario, Canada
Joined Apr 2010
2,554 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by portablevcb View Post
Don't forget that the brick can be used with an external ESC to power a larger motor. Then you can use these things in 30" stuff too.
The new AR6400LBL (introduced in the UMX Beast) simplifies those BL motor setups:

- Integrated brushless ESC (3A continuous)
- Long throw linear servos
- 2S lipo operation

http://www.spektrumrc.com/Products/D...D=SPMAR6400LBL

philipa_240sx is offline Find More Posts by philipa_240sx
Old Jan 08, 2011, 10:29 PM
Find More Posts by PeteSchug
Elmhurst, NY (Queens in NYC)
Joined Apr 2004
7,141 Posts
It's worth remembering that Horizon corrected something in one of their manuals and now claim over two ounces of thrust (can't say torque) for the AR6400 brick servos!

I just bought a Beast brick and the PZ 180 (is that the right designation?) motor. I think I can fly some pretty big planes with it. All I need is BUILDING SPACE.

Working on that!

BTW, The motor came with regular leads and solder on bullet connectors.

Pete
PeteSchug is offline Find More Posts by PeteSchug
Old Jan 09, 2011, 01:21 AM
Find More Posts by gupi
Balsa Lover
Vienna, Austria
Joined Jul 2010
900 Posts
Hi all!

Very nice builds shown here so far!

Actually there's a complete forum here on RCG dedicated to micromodels:
http://www.rcgroups.com/indoor-and-micro-models-85/

Lots of cool builds there, too.

I've done a build thread about my 18" Taylorcraft (Herr Engineering conversion) there:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1282501

Unfortunately it came out way to heavy (40 grams AUW) to fly pleasantly.

Yours, gupi
gupi is offline Find More Posts by gupi
Old Jan 09, 2011, 04:58 AM
Find More Posts by g_kandylakis
free flight or micro RC ???
Greece, Central Macedonia, Thessalonika
Joined May 2006
471 Posts
As I personally understand it, Michael's idea for this thread was a very specific one: RC peanut scale models. The only "limitation" he set was the size.

True, there are many threads in the micro forum, but none is 100% scale oriented, whereas this forum is...

There is no mention of equipment limitation though. I agree that the AR6400 unit, while very useful, is rather tight to fit in a peanut but is an excellent system for 400-600mm (~15"-22") span models, but... they are not peanut sized... So, we either expand the size limitation, or stick to peanuts.
Michael decides...In any case it is a fun thread to watch...But then, most scale threads are

As for my own contribution to the thread, unfortunately it doesn't exist yet, the closest I have is a 400mm span Elias Aircoupe... But there is something I can add, a link to a very well known (among ff enthusiasts) peanut dedicated site and more specifically, pictures and a video of a Lacey RC peanut.

http://www.microflight.be/articles/2...tnt01origid=15
Oh yes, I forgot to mention, it is belgian, so it is in french

George
g_kandylakis is offline Find More Posts by g_kandylakis
Last edited by g_kandylakis; Jan 09, 2011 at 05:05 AM.
Old Jan 09, 2011, 06:50 AM
Remote island inhabitant
United Kingdom, Greenham
Joined Nov 2000
6,445 Posts
I would like this thread to be for Peanuts only. I am well aware there are other sizes available and I also know the Indoor and Micro forum quite intimately The reason for creating this post here was because of the scale aspect of it. It would be interesting to see how people adapt rubber FF designs to R/C.

I did state initially that the brick is not suitable for all Peanuts due to the form factor but I guess people are too busy these days to read a whole thread before replying. There are lots of other equipment options suitable for Peanuts and it was my hope that this thread could be a shared resource of information.

I have yet to build my own R/C Peanut. I have made many models that were Peanut sized or smaller but they were never proper scale models. However Peter Rake has kindly supplied me with drawings for a 13" Eastbourne Monoplane so that will go on the laser cutter as soon as I collect my balsa order.

Someone said Pistachios? Perfectly possible with current equipment so feel free to start a thread on it.

Michael
Old Jan 09, 2011, 09:44 AM
Find More Posts by phillip57
S/E Michigan
Joined Jun 2010
1,652 Posts
This Fokker DVII has an 18 inch ws, weighs 2 oz. Utilizes the AR6400 and PZ p-51 D motor/gearbox. It flys very well, but must be flown to the ground for those 2 wheel landings. Initially, it was built for indoor flying at Ultimate soccer. The second time it was there, a head on mid-air nearly took the wing in two, held on only by the TE. I no longer take it to Ultimate soccer. I have a Flyzone Albatross and a PZ P 51 for that purpose.

Phil
phillip57 is offline Find More Posts by phillip57