HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 05, 2007, 03:31 PM
Joined Mar 2007
26 Posts
Discussion
Gyro behavior question.

I just installed the JR8900g gyro with servo combo in my raptor 30, and while hovering with no input to the rudder the tail would swing then stop. What can this be?

I'm using the Dx7 I would pretty much exclude interference

Also I noticed something weird, when I switched the power to on I noticed the tail servo (after it has initialized) would creep very slowly to the opposite side. This is during power up and the remote is on headlock mode. I switched the power to the receiver off than on again and it stopped. I'm a little nervous about that.
wrxsavvy is offline Find More Posts by wrxsavvy
Last edited by wrxsavvy; Nov 05, 2007 at 09:50 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 06, 2007, 07:44 AM
21st Century Space Cowboy
Chipping, Lancs, UK
Joined Oct 2006
2,935 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrxsavvy
Also I noticed something weird, when I switched the power to on I noticed the tail servo (after it has initialized) would creep very slowly to the opposite side. This is during power up and the remote is on headlock mode. I switched the power to the receiver off than on again and it stopped. I'm a little nervous about that.
I would hazard a guess that they all do that in HH mode, but once the heli is flying it isn't an issue. At least my HH2000 gyro exhibits exactly the same behaviour. Also, if I spool up in HH mode then the tail wags around a fair bit until the tail rotor has enough authority to actually work. To minimise this I use rate mode to spool up and take of then flick into HH. EDIT:- I don't switch off and try again.

When you say the tail swings then stops - how far and how often and how much?

Tach.
TachyonDriver is offline Find More Posts by TachyonDriver
Old Nov 06, 2007, 07:51 AM
Christchurch, New Zealand
Joined Jun 2006
6,794 Posts
Indeed, how far does it swing?

The other symptom is just the gyro's idea of stick center being off by a minute fraction. Don't worry about it, it's probably meaningless, although curing your other issue might make it go away.
Andrew McGregor is offline Find More Posts by Andrew McGregor
Old Nov 06, 2007, 08:34 AM
LOAD "FLIP360FPV",8,1
Joined Sep 2006
3,873 Posts
Well, I don't know anything about that gyro, but on a Futaba 401, this is a symptom of the HH neutral point not being programmed correctly. On the 401, you can move the rudder stick back and forth 4 times fast, and let go. The tail blades (in HH mode) should snap to a center point of a few degrees of pitch. If they jump and then creep to full pitch, the neutral point needs to be re-programmed.

On the 401 you do this by resetting in rate mode, hover and use subtrim until stable hands off hover... land, and flip the rate/hh mode switch 4 times fast ending in HH mode (or simply unplug the receiver power in rate mode, and plug it back in with the transmitter in HH mode).

A lot of people skip this step but it's very important... it's where the gyro returns to when you let go of the stick. 90% of the time your heli will fly fine without doing this but occasionally the tail with either blow out or slide out 90 degrees while increasing throttle. I had all sorts of mystery tail blowouts until I did this. Now my preflight includes moving the rudder stick back and forth fast in HH mode to make sure the tail blades center correctly when I let go of the stick.

Not sure how to set this on your gyro, so this may not even apply.

-tom
vic20owner is offline Find More Posts by vic20owner
Old Nov 06, 2007, 02:16 PM
Ade
Instructor
Bournemouth UK
Joined Aug 2002
1,836 Posts
the 770 is a tricky beast to get setup. one of our local guys has one and its been tough to get it to perform well.

what model is this on?

Ade
Ade is offline Find More Posts by Ade
Old Nov 06, 2007, 09:25 PM
Joined Mar 2007
26 Posts
The tail wouls swing about 35-40 degres to the left. It did it a couple of times 10-15 seconds apart. The gyro Im using I belive sets up the neutral point when I turn on the reciever.
Hey Andrew I was able to fix the other issue. I noticed when I was looking at the screen of the dx7 that displays all the channels and there activity. I saw that the rudder activity would change a bit while switching flight modes. I adjusted the sub trims for each mode equally, and then adjusted the ball link to my rudder. (Iv'e seen multiple articles on this forum about that setup, It finally hit me) Now when I switch modes the tail slider dosn't creep.
Since I did the adjustments after the flight, im going to test the results this week.
If it still does it you think its still normal?
Ade the gyro is on a raptor 30.
Old Nov 07, 2007, 07:48 AM
LOAD "FLIP360FPV",8,1
Joined Sep 2006
3,873 Posts
You may have found it... the DX7 stores individual trim settings between modes. This drove me crazy when I first switched from futaba. Now I make sure to trim everything on sub trims... I don't even use the standard trims. I wish there was a way to disable the separate trim settings per mode because they are more trouble than they are worth (at least in my experience).
vic20owner is offline Find More Posts by vic20owner
Old Nov 07, 2007, 04:25 PM
Joined Mar 2007
26 Posts
So far so good I took it up for 10 minutes and it was solid! I whipped the tail around quickly( Quickly doesnt paint the picture I never felt something so fast as this tail servo) It takes some getting use to because this servo is really quick.

Very noisy when activated, I read alot on forums with the same noise. I guess its normal? Anyone elso with the noise?
Old Nov 07, 2007, 06:37 PM
Christchurch, New Zealand
Joined Jun 2006
6,794 Posts
Separate trims per mode have no value on the tail, true... but on cyclic if your headspeed changes, they're really useful. I'm guessing that would be even more true on a flybarless multi-blade heli without a cyclic gyro.
Andrew McGregor is offline Find More Posts by Andrew McGregor
Old Nov 15, 2007, 08:04 AM
DSR
Pretoria; South Africa
Joined Sep 2007
3 Posts
Hi there
We had the creeping prob. Well I would say make sure all your trims are 0 on the rudder this is very important. Then switch the heli on but hold it very still. Now if it still creeps to a side use the sub trim to stop it from moving. It takes only a click or 2. Switch off and on just to make sure.

PS: This works on JR's G490T and the 770

Dawie
DSR is offline Find More Posts by DSR
Last edited by DSR; Nov 15, 2007 at 08:12 AM.
Old Nov 15, 2007, 08:48 PM
Joined Mar 2007
26 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSR
Hi there
We had the creeping prob. Well I would say make sure all your trims are 0 on the rudder this is very important. Then switch the heli on but hold it very still. Now if it still creeps to a side use the sub trim to stop it from moving. It takes only a click or 2. Switch off and on just to make sure.

PS: This works on JR's G490T and the 770

Dawie
Is your throttle 50% at mid stick or more?
Old Nov 15, 2007, 11:34 PM
DSR
Pretoria; South Africa
Joined Sep 2007
3 Posts
I think it is just below 50% I think 46%.
DSR is offline Find More Posts by DSR