Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Yesterday, 08:38 PM
Naval gazing
United States, MA, Boston
Joined May 2008
1,188 Posts
Discussion
Need advice setting up a small work station in a new place

The apartment i'm going to be moving into on September 1 has a comfortable living room. My roommate and I want to put in a three seat couch and a coffee table, also a table for a TV, but also i want to put in an economically sized work station of some sort so i can work on my boats and other things. Also the property managers aren't fond of loud noise though I imagine any noise i'd make with this hobby would be brief, limited, and during the day only.

I was wondering if any of you could offer advice for what to buy, how to arrange anything, and maybe visual aid for this and also provide suggestions on essential tools to buy. I have razor saw and mitre box, a dremel, metric and imperial allen wrenches, several different kinds of pliers, a dremel with assorted bits, various sizes of modular screw drivers, a self-healing work matt, I have some sorts of sand paper but not a proper assortment. Also a full size power drill with bits, and an ancient but still operable table top electric jig saw which doesn't need to stay on the table top all the time or even most of the time.

I have a load of other things but i can't remember them all at this time. Also i don't have a good way of organizing any of them.

There is one suggestion for vibration absorption that a guy i know mentioned which is putting a "stable matt" under the work table. Basically a four inch thick rubber matt made for horse stables. The floors in my place are hard wood.

Thoughts? thanks everyone!
spacephrawg is offline Find More Posts by spacephrawg
to remove ads between posts
Old Yesterday, 10:25 PM
Submarine or Target?
United States, SC, Piedmont
Joined Jul 2013
457 Posts
Something like a roll-top desk would make it easy to cover up your work when you want the place to look all neat and tidy.
ericbphoto is offline Find More Posts by ericbphoto
Old Yesterday, 10:36 PM
Naval gazing
Joined May 2008
1,188 Posts
that sounds great but i fear i have more stuff than would fit in such a thing.
Old Yesterday, 10:39 PM
Monterey Bay California
Joined Feb 2004
13,767 Posts
What does your roommate think?

Three seat couch, a coffee table and a table for a TV sounds like a space for entertaining?
Aerominded is online now Find More Posts by Aerominded
Old Today, 07:03 AM
Joined Jun 2014
60 Posts
I have similar problems.I work off a TV tray when possible since it's transportable.

I like the clear plastic storage boxes.I have 3 since they are stackable, one for hand tools I use often, one for paints/adhesives and one for electronics.

Dollar stores have alot of handy things.Get disposable table cloths to lay over things you don't want getting dirty.

Dollar stores also have binder organisers.I use them to keep my electronics box more organised.I put my esc's, servos and rx's in one binder organiser, gears and plastic parts in one, then connectors and questionable parts in a third.My electronics box is more organised then it looks I just used alot of clear baggies.
micromodder is online now Find More Posts by micromodder
Old Today, 07:34 AM
r/c ships and workboats
bellingham, wa
Joined May 2006
4,522 Posts
As an apartment dweller I have space issues ( all though a bachelor) so room is a premiem. Depending on space and what you want to give up, I chose to convert the little dinning area in the back to a shop space by using 2 wood top folding tables stacked on top of one another. Room to store stuff on top and below with plenty of workspace on the first table. Dinning area in the living room. Also makes finding parts that fall on floor easier to find on the linoleum instead of carpet.
keith S is offline Find More Posts by keith S
Old Today, 08:12 AM
United States, NC, Charlotte
Joined Feb 2011
487 Posts
Yes it can be done!

Hi again phrawg!,..I too have limited work area so I do most my noisey/dusty /painting ,work outside weather permitting,! some smaller stuff I can do in my room or as others said, off a foldable wood TV tray,which I have ,as it is portable, used on my porch. Yep storage stackables commonly used here not just for hobby stuff!!,...Tim
haxawsnavy is offline Find More Posts by haxawsnavy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: wild cat almost tamed
Old Today, 09:01 AM
Naval gazing
Joined May 2008
1,188 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerominded View Post
What does your roommate think?

Three seat couch, a coffee table and a table for a TV sounds like a space for entertaining?
He seems to be ok with it.
Old Today, 10:33 AM
Monterey Bay California
Joined Feb 2004
13,767 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by spacephrawg View Post
He seems to be ok with it.
Cool! Some great suggestions above! one thing I would emphasize is getting a rug or other floor covering to have under (and around) the workbench. If your new place has nice wood floors, covering them for protection will be important. you would be amazed what flys/falls off of a workbench.
Aerominded is online now Find More Posts by Aerominded
Old Today, 11:37 AM
North Central TN USA
Joined May 2006
3,561 Posts
If you're going the rug/carpet route use a solid color. You'd be amazed how many little things can hide in a patterned rug. A rug will also keep little things from bouncing amazing distances from where you drop them, and you will drop them. Don't forget under things. Walmart, Dollar Stores usually have a good selection of three drawer cabinets that fit under benches.
420TEE is online now Find More Posts by 420TEE
Old Today, 05:25 PM
Professional Lurker
South Korea, Gyeonggi-do, Ansan-si
Joined Jan 2006
950 Posts
I like Keith S's setup: stacked office tables--genius!
Room underneath for hanging lighting and storage up top. All portable and if more workspace was needed one could unstack the tables and place them in an 'L' shape.

You'll need tool storage so maybe some sort of cheap, plastic drawer set with wheels for mobility. For lighting, I have something like this and love it (it must be 50 years old and unchanged in looks)...

Harquebus is online now Find More Posts by Harquebus
RCG Plus Member