HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 18, 2014, 02:20 PM
United States, SC, Roebuck
Joined May 2014
9 Posts
Discussion
1/24 RC Tanks

I've heard several people on the forums talking about 1/24 tanks. What types are available and who makes them. Want something hobby grade and not toy-like.
sswilkie is offline Find More Posts by sswilkie
to remove ads between posts
Old May 18, 2014, 02:46 PM
Joined Jun 2011
129 Posts
Well, the two main companies that make a great selection of 1/24 RC Tanks are VsTanks and Forces of Valor. VsTank is the only company that is producing RC Tanks. VOF stopped about year ago. Both makes are great products and good looking tanks. Some will argue that the scales of some of the tanks are off. I like the FOV. The way they operate, move, and the sound are a little different then the Vs Tanks. Another reason was the price. The FOV is a little cheaper the then the Vs tanks. I know Vs changed their controller to stick drive like the FOV, but I don’t know if anything else was changed. Soon the market for new FOV will be finished and then all that will be left is the Vs tanks. Maybe someone with Vs tanks can write in and give their views about what they like about Vs tanks.
Bigjack
BigJack82 is offline Find More Posts by BigJack82
Old May 18, 2014, 03:09 PM
Joined Feb 2013
279 Posts
I have several of the VS tanks, M1 Abrams Camo, M1 Abrams Desert, Leopard 2 A5, Leopard 2 A6 and 2 T-72's. VS tanks appears to be the only company that offers the IR with recoiling main gun which I prefer over the Airsoft and the recoil realism is much better than the HL IR's. One of my T-72's I bought as an empty hull and the other as a functioning unit but unfortunately the recoil is screwed up and takes around 6 shots to complete the recoil cycle. I was going to just replace the recoil unit and possibly the controller too but the shipping costs from the only parts distributor are padded for extra profit so I shelved the idea. The IR T-72's are a little hard to come by at a reasonable price due to the model being cancelled but they can be had on eBay now and then for around $150. All of the VS tanks are a little quick to operate and require some space or one can replace the board with the Clark board or even the HL controller and receiver for more realistic performance.
SpookyNumber1 is offline Find More Posts by SpookyNumber1
Old May 18, 2014, 05:30 PM
United States, CA, Huntington Beach
Joined Feb 2008
97 Posts
There are no hobby grade 1/24 tanks I know of. All are RTR toy grade. You can go down in scale to 1/35 scale and find some hobby grade tanks, or up in scale to 1/16 where there's tons of options.
jeff489 is offline Find More Posts by jeff489
Old May 18, 2014, 08:33 PM
Joined May 2014
9 Posts
Thank all of you for the info !
Old May 19, 2014, 05:00 AM
United States, IL, Oak Lawn
Joined Nov 2012
203 Posts
I'm not sure what makes one tank Hobby grade or another toy grade but I have 2 Heng Long 1/24th tanks that run very well and have just as much detail as my 1/16th tanks. 1 Abrams and one A5 Leopard.
I also have a HuanQi Tiger I in 1/24th with airsoft and sound.
I think all 3 are good tanks for the money ( under $65.00) and a good place to start.
bobwrgt is offline Find More Posts by bobwrgt
Old May 19, 2014, 09:09 AM
Joined May 2014
9 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobwrgt View Post
I'm not sure what makes one tank Hobby grade or another toy grade but I have 2 Heng Long 1/24th tanks that run very well and have just as much detail as my 1/16th tanks. 1 Abrams and one A5 Leopard.
I also have a HuanQi Tiger I in 1/24th with airsoft and sound.
I think all 3 are good tanks for the money ( under $65.00) and a good place to start.
Thanks for the info. I have a HL 1/16 Tiger that I'm very happy with. I wasn't aware they did 1/24 also. I'll concentrate on the 1/16 but I like the idea of 1/24 also and will probably get a few in the future. I saw the VS tanks but didn't really like the controller on them. Looks like something a Toys-r Us toy would come with.
Old May 19, 2014, 12:52 PM
Joined Feb 2013
279 Posts
The VS tanks radios are just a little to buttony and even slight adjustments in travel will send the tank in a right angle direction from the original intent. Once I get my T-55 and Tamiya Pershing completely finished I will be getting Clark equipment for one of my Leopards to see if It will be more manageable using a good radio.
Old May 19, 2014, 07:42 PM
Joined May 2014
9 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpookyNumber1 View Post
The VS tanks radios are just a little to buttony and even slight adjustments in travel will send the tank in a right angle direction from the original intent. Once I get my T-55 and Tamiya Pershing completely finished I will be getting Clark equipment for one of my Leopards to see if It will be more manageable using a good radio.
I've seen some people on the internet installing the Clark boards and such but that's a little over my head right now with the programming and all. I'll learn all about that stuff in time as I get more tanks and start upgrading.
Old May 26, 2014, 12:41 AM
Joined Feb 2013
279 Posts
I wanted to mention that these little tanks out of the box are pretty nice as long as you play them outside where you have room to maneuver. My 6 year old and I took the T-72 and Leopard 2 A6 outside and battled yesterday and had a blast. All of mine are IR with the infrared light in the barrel and IR receiver on the turrets. When they take a hit lights on the underside of the turret's blink and raise hell and after about 5 hits the lights blink until the switch is reset. by the way, VS discontinued the T-72 some time ago and they can be a little hard to find so if anyone wants one you better grab what's left. I believe they have released it again with updates in the winter paint scheme but the price is over $200 and I can't do that.

Old Jun 10, 2014, 01:17 PM
Joined May 2014
9 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpookyNumber1 View Post
I wanted to mention that these little tanks out of the box are pretty nice as long as you play them outside where you have room to maneuver. My 6 year old and I took the T-72 and Leopard 2 A6 outside and battled yesterday and had a blast. All of mine are IR with the infrared light in the barrel and IR receiver on the turrets. When they take a hit lights on the underside of the turret's blink and raise hell and after about 5 hits the lights blink until the switch is reset. by the way, VS discontinued the T-72 some time ago and they can be a little hard to find so if anyone wants one you better grab what's left. I believe they have released it again with updates in the winter paint scheme but the price is over $200 and I can't do that.

Thanks for the pics and info spooky number 1. I have been looking at VS Tanks online and might try one. I've been a little worried about them, though, because I've read where they aren't really into their tank line anymore and more into Iphone accessories. If they are going to continue making the tanks I'll most likely end up getting a few.
Old Jun 10, 2014, 01:33 PM
Joined Feb 2013
279 Posts
They have discontinued the 1/24 line of tanks but there is still a place to stock up on parts from (http://www.rctoybay.net/category-s/1830.htm). I'm glad I have mine and once I get squared away with some other things here I will be ordering in spare parts. It's easy to lose small pieces off in the yard so I'm thinking about inserting small steel brads and nails in the likely pieces so I can use my magnet tool to pull them from the grass.
Old Jun 25, 2014, 07:52 PM
Joined Jun 2014
1 Posts
VS tanks are the best. Very nicely detailed and good for play. Will not forget me and my dad playing with them a few years back at Nurnberg toy fair at VS booth. Today, they are part of our tank collection (Mercedes collection).
BiggieEU is offline Find More Posts by BiggieEU