HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 09, 2013, 11:16 AM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Oct 2006
428 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by steamboatmodel View Post
When do we decide on this there has been no mention of it in the Boats section for a while.
Regards,
Gerald.
I have been following the instructions in the 'New Forums' section. That requires me to send a message to an Admin once 50 positive messages are obtained. They will then consider the issue, and may call for a poll vote.

We obtained 50 positive messages after 4 days, but I left the thread to run for at least 1 week to enable as wide a readership as possible. That week was up on 4 May, so I sent a message to the Admin in charge of the New Forums section on that day. I will send a request for update after 1 more week has gone by.

I note that we currently have 55 positive votes, but opposition has been expressed to the idea because it would 'fragment the Boat Forum'. My feeling is that a monolithic forum carrying many different topics is helpful and interesting to the people who know how to browse it, but less helpful to outsiders who might be tempted to join and who need to find their way around easily.

In the case of Vintage Boats I believe it to be particularly important to maintain 'external visibility', because people on Vintage aircraft or elsewhere may well uncover rare items of interest to us, and will not bother looking under the general headings which are all we currently have...
dodgy is offline Find More Posts by dodgy
to remove ads between posts
Old May 21, 2013, 08:35 AM
---o-O-o---
United States, NJ, Livingston
Joined Mar 2012
1,586 Posts
Has the poll been posted yet?
blutoh is online now Find More Posts by blutoh
Old May 21, 2013, 01:35 PM
Central Ohio
Joined Feb 2003
1,090 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dodgy View Post
I note that we currently have 55 positive votes, but opposition has been expressed to the idea because it would 'fragment the Boat Forum'. ..
In the past week, there have been 2 build threads started using vintage plans.
A build of the Elenco ( listed as the Antares in the Vintage boat thread) is in the Dock Talk forum. A build of the Kingfisher is in the Scale Boats forum. It appears to me that "the Boat Forum" is already fragmented.
Don
defranci is offline Find More Posts by defranci
Old May 21, 2013, 02:17 PM
5,200 Led Lighted Bike-Bob P.
USA, MA, Swansea
Joined Mar 2003
2,770 Posts
In my opinion, the Vintage Boats is a storage of old plans and articles site. It is not a build forum. At least that is what I am thinking here. Others may have their own ideas.
**Neons** Bob
**neons** is online now Find More Posts by **neons**
Old May 21, 2013, 03:04 PM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Oct 2006
428 Posts
I was expecting that there would be a lot about plans and articles - with people asking for identification of old boats or perhaps talking about restorations. And maybe some other things - arranging a Vintage meet, perhaps...

The key thing for me is that items would be in the Vintage Forum because the most important thing about the item was that it was OLD. If the most important thing about an item is that advice is needed on setting the sails properly, put it in the Sailboats forum.

The point about forums seems to me that you're going to find people and subjects there of a similar type. So, in the Vintage forum, I'd expect to see someone discover an old submarine and ask for info about it. If they want to use modern radio or other sub equipment in it, they may ask in the Submarines forum. If they restore it they may put the pictures in a Build forum (if we had one!). If it had attracted interest when it was first discovered, I might hope that they would put a message in the Vintage forum that there was a vintage build in the Build forum... There's no reason why cross-forum messages should not be used.

Incidentally, someone asked about progress. I have been told that something will happen soon....

DG

Quote:
Originally Posted by **neons** View Post
In my opinion, the Vintage Boats is a storage of old plans and articles site. It is not a build forum. At least that is what I am thinking here. Others may have their own ideas.
**Neons** Bob
Old May 27, 2013, 09:42 AM
Administrator
United States, TN, Nashville
Joined Mar 2002
11,279 Posts
A new poll thread has been created here:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1899907
Jim T. Graham is online now Find More Posts by Jim T. Graham
Administrator
Old May 28, 2013, 07:24 AM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Oct 2006
428 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim T. Graham View Post
A new poll thread has been created here:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1899907
Thanks, Jim.

I went there to vote, and found that I had already voted. Is the proposer of a forum automatically given the first vote?
Old May 28, 2013, 08:06 AM
Retired for now
Bonita Springs,Fl.
Joined Sep 2007
8,649 Posts
This is getting pretty confusing. I already voted once for this topic so do I now vote again?
Why doesn't this just get done so we can use it? Pete
norgale is offline Find More Posts by norgale
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: What's a blog for?
Old May 28, 2013, 08:45 AM
Administrator
United States, TN, Nashville
Joined Mar 2002
11,279 Posts
Here is a link to how the process works:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=609901
Jim T. Graham is online now Find More Posts by Jim T. Graham
Administrator
Old May 29, 2013, 02:56 AM
Spreckels Lake, GGP, SF, CA
USA, CA, San Francisco
Joined Apr 2007
3,634 Posts
craig_c is offline Find More Posts by craig_c
RCG Plus Member
Old May 31, 2013, 09:37 PM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
22,324 Posts
Absolutely NO! This is a horrible plan which will make it even MORE difficult to find things. We already have forums for so many different aspects of model boating. The claim that this is for the preservation of plans is bogus - do a Google search for "Vintage boat plans" (without the quotes) and the top of the list is already a fantastic thread. We do not need another forum and further fragmentation of an already-too-small community!

Andy
AndyKunz is online now Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor
Old Jun 01, 2013, 07:08 AM
Retired for now
Bonita Springs,Fl.
Joined Sep 2007
8,649 Posts
Geeze Andy what can it hurt to try this out? If it doesn't fly then it will be deleted but if it does fly then there is a need for it. If you look at the pole there are 80% of the voters for the new topic.
That brings up another situation, why are there so few votes on the subject? Aren't there supposed to be about 2000 members here? Where are they all? Seems like 120 votes is pretty small potatoes for all those members. Pete
norgale is offline Find More Posts by norgale
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: What's a blog for?
Old Jun 01, 2013, 07:47 AM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Oct 2006
428 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyKunz View Post
Absolutely NO! This is a horrible plan which will make it even MORE difficult to find things. We already have forums for so many different aspects of model boating. The claim that this is for the preservation of plans is bogus - do a Google search for "Vintage boat plans" (without the quotes) and the top of the list is already a fantastic thread. We do not need another forum and further fragmentation of an already-too-small community!

Andy
I cannot understand how putting all Vintage plans in the same place will 'make it even more difficult' to find them. And your claim that this proposal is 'horrible' seems to be an emotional exaggeration which does not support your argument at all! The aim is to make the collection point visible to outsiders and occasional browsers - not to dedicated readers who must by now be well aware of the discussion. This should have the effect of EXPANDING readership!

Vintage is an area of growing interest - we should be making the most of this to attract people. Hoping that readers will investigate a topic called 'Dock Talk' will not, I think, be a successful strategy...

More worrying to me is your assertion that "The claim that this is for the preservation of plans is bogus...". What does that mean? Are you saying that I do not want to preserve old plans? A moment's research will provide ample evidence that this is a field I have been working in and supporting for many years.

The word 'bogus' seems to me to mean 'not really as stated - with a hidden agenda'. I have been completely open in what I have been proposing, and, indeed, left the original discussion thread open for several days after it could have been closed specifically to gather all opinion on this subject. And yet you did not make your views known then, and have waited until this point to make weird emotional accusations which are easily disproved. I wonder why? Could it be that there is indeed a hidden agenda of some kind, but one that I do not know about?