HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 02, 2013, 07:29 PM
Fun ain't cheap!
United States, CA, Santa Barbara
Joined Apr 2003
2,960 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TFLG View Post
What I have discovered is that with the new hatch and fillets, there is a lot more weight behind the CG. So if the builder wants a light zero he must take care and keep the tail as light as possible. My airframe was quite light until I put the tail on it. I used 1/2 balsa and 1/2 basswood and then glassed it. so the tail was pretty beefy. I have thrown gear into the nose to get a rough estimate and it's looking like I will need 6 to 8 oz of lead to balance it. I was hoping to keep it under 40oz but with that much lead I might have a hard time keeping it under 50oz
Word. Thanks for offering this info! I'd sure like to keep my Zero on a diet to keep it less than 40 if its possible. Sounds like an all balsa, solar tex covered tail would help.

Andy
droydx is offline Find More Posts by droydx
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Sosos
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 02, 2013, 07:41 PM
That Freeking Laird Guy
United States, CA, Riverside
Joined Feb 2002
9,039 Posts
Well, I got tired of waiting for my servos so I yanked some out of another plane. Officially it's ready to fly. I still have to panel line it and clear coat it. But if there is wind this weekend I can chuck her! It needed about 8 ounces of nose weight so keep the tail LIGHT! Unless you want a 50 ounce zero.

It's 48oz which is a few more than I wanted for this plane.I will probably add another ounce when I clear coat it.

I installed the two servos on rails which is easy. The rails are hot glued into the fuse. There is a 600mah flat pack in front of the servos and the reciever is behind the servos. I melted some lead and poured that into a tin foil mold I made of the spinner. That was gooped into the spinner.
TFLG is online now Find More Posts by TFLG
Old Jan 02, 2013, 07:57 PM
Summer... is my time of year
United States, CA, San Juan Capistrano
Joined May 2011
6,662 Posts
Brian
How do you do the rod for the elevator
It looks like carbon fiber. but its filled with?? epoxy?gorilla glue?
i am sure its easy but I still wonder...

Rubio
67econoline is offline Find More Posts by 67econoline
Old Jan 02, 2013, 08:03 PM
That Freeking Laird Guy
Joined Feb 2002
9,039 Posts
It's a carbon tube with a wire glued into each end. I've used both CA and epoxy. Both work just fine. I shove a little wad of paper towel down the tube so the glue does not run down the tube, then fill that with glue and insert the wire. I rough the wire up real good with a file so the glue has something to grab onto.
Old Jan 02, 2013, 08:12 PM
Summer... is my time of year
United States, CA, San Juan Capistrano
Joined May 2011
6,662 Posts
Thanks Brian

Rubio
who has stepped into the light
67econoline is offline Find More Posts by 67econoline
Old Jan 02, 2013, 08:13 PM
United States, CA, Lake Forest
Joined Jun 2008
4,287 Posts
Very nice work Brian ready to get started and to meet you in Cajon !!! Missed the last one !!!
Dick J is online now Find More Posts by Dick J
Old Jan 02, 2013, 08:42 PM
Joined Sep 2005
54 Posts
Very nice.
topazpilot is offline Find More Posts by topazpilot
Old Jan 02, 2013, 09:03 PM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2003
2,915 Posts
So are you coming to fermin on Sunday, I will maiden my ki84 with you it's 52oz
bluffman is online now Find More Posts by bluffman
Old Jan 02, 2013, 10:06 PM
Jim in San Diego
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Nov 2002
4,090 Posts
I like it! Man it would be nice to be able build half that fast and have an ugly plane. Being able to produce that thing in that amount of time is just scary. I can't wait for speed build
Pismo is offline Find More Posts by Pismo
Old Jan 02, 2013, 10:33 PM
That Freeking Laird Guy
Joined Feb 2002
9,039 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by droydx View Post
Word. Thanks for offering this info! I'd sure like to keep my Zero on a diet to keep it less than 40 if its possible. Sounds like an all balsa, solar tex covered tail would help.

Andy
An all balsa and monokote covered tail would be even better. If you are doing a grey, green or white scheme, monokote would be easy. Also rather than bondo, microballoons/epoxy fillets would help keep the weight down.
Old Jan 02, 2013, 11:09 PM
Jim in San Diego
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Nov 2002
4,090 Posts
I think I tried to sand microballoons and epoxy on balsa before and it made me cry
Pismo is offline Find More Posts by Pismo
Old Jan 02, 2013, 11:20 PM
That Freeking Laird Guy
Joined Feb 2002
9,039 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pismo View Post
I think I tried to sand microballoons and epoxy on balsa before and it made me cry
Yea, ya gotta get A LOT of microballoons in the resin or it's like sanding marble.
Old Jan 03, 2013, 12:40 AM
Crikey never leave beer behind
Mt Annan Sydney Australia
Joined Dec 2003
23,051 Posts
and that why they invented Spackle lol
steve wenban is online now Find More Posts by steve wenban
Old Jan 03, 2013, 03:46 AM
Mechanical gypsy
Spain
Joined Dec 2006
543 Posts
Nice one Brian. I'm really impressed with your paint job on the solartex, especially around the fillets joining the wing to the fuse. It looks seamless!
chris s is offline Find More Posts by chris s
Old Jan 03, 2013, 11:25 AM
That Freeking Laird Guy
Joined Feb 2002
9,039 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris s View Post
Nice one Brian. I'm really impressed with your paint job on the solartex, especially around the fillets joining the wing to the fuse. It looks seamless!
It is seamless. I put bondo laquer putty on the seam, sand it all smooth and then primer it. No seams that way You do have to be a little careful sanding the solartex but the silver has a coating so you can sand it without it fuzzing up. All the other colors would have to be shot with primer first because if you sand regular solartex it fluffs up like a tennis ball.