HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 17, 2014, 10:25 PM
Mexico, Tamaulipas, Tampico
Joined Jun 2014
87 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by porcupine5 View Post
I find toothpicks are useful for preventing that
Read about your solution but had trouble picturing it in my mind...would be so kind as to explain it a little more...certainly loosing the little grommets or heck, replacing a new canopy and installing it with its grommets is problematic...finally bought a tool tha looks like the sharpened end of a pencil but bigger...a reamer? Have to be careful not to make grommet hole too big...i do have plenty of toothpicks, though, if i could figure it out
ChespiIker is online now Find More Posts by ChespiIker
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 18, 2014, 12:15 AM
Certifiable
United States, CA, Burbank
Joined Dec 2012
2,197 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bublik1 View Post
what do you guys do with the grommets? im new to this helicopter and lost 2 grommets but luckily I had some from the RTF package.
do you glue them with CA? or shrink the pins or canopy holders?
Tie them on w/dental floss. Doesn't harden them or make a mess like glue and other gummy liquids.
stringrazor is offline Find More Posts by stringrazor
Old Jul 18, 2014, 12:35 AM
Joined Oct 2013
99 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChespiIker View Post
Read about your solution but had trouble picturing it in my mind...would be so kind as to explain it a little more...certainly loosing the little grommets or heck, replacing a new canopy and installing it with its grommets is problematic...finally bought a tool tha looks like the sharpened end of a pencil but bigger...a reamer? Have to be careful not to make grommet hole too big...i do have plenty of toothpicks, though, if i could figure it out
Take the canopy off your heli, and insert toothpicks (or toothpicks broken in half to not be wasteful) through the grommets.

Now paint the grommets with plasti-dip (or similar), the toothpicks inserted into the grommets will stop the plasti-dip from covering the holes.

With plasti-dip, the dip wont stick well to the toothpicks, so you can remove them after the plasti-dip has dried without issue.
porcupine5 is offline Find More Posts by porcupine5
Old Jul 18, 2014, 12:46 AM
Joined Jun 2014
87 Posts
Now I got it, thanks a lot....did need the extra explanation....somehow thought the tthpck stayed.....
Old Jul 18, 2014, 10:00 AM
Joined Oct 2013
99 Posts
Quote:
Now I got it, thanks a lot....did need the extra explanation....somehow thought the tthpck stayed.....
Nope, you pull it out once the dip (or whatever you use) has set.

It has the added benefit of ensuring the grommet does not deform during this process. Additionally, if you've lost your grommets, you can use plasti-dip and toothpicks to recreate the holes
Old Jul 18, 2014, 06:16 PM
Joined Jun 2014
87 Posts
Will try home depot tomorrow...went to autozone and came out with150 dollars of very usefull stuff for cars and some cut to size led strips for helis, but no tricoat, no plastic dip....your solution seems to be much better than the two or three I have tried, many thanks....
Old Jul 18, 2014, 06:41 PM
Joined Oct 2013
99 Posts
Quote:
Will try home depot tomorrow...went to autozone and came out with150 dollars of very usefull stuff for cars and some cut to size led strips for helis, but no tricoat, no plastic dip....your solution seems to be much better than the two or three I have tried, many thanks....
Hope it helps. I don't know where you are, but just a FYI, Canadian Home Depot's do not have the dip (some US ones have the spray, no idea if they have the dip), if you get desperate (and can wait a week), Ebay away
Old Jul 18, 2014, 08:46 PM
Joined Jun 2014
87 Posts
Looks like Ebay, then....currently reside in a city very famous for oil fields just to the south of it...1915, the roaring 20s....more recently it makes its appearance in the news during hurricane season...Tampico, in the Gulf Coast...5 hrs. by car to Texas...or 100 minutes Am. Airlines to Houston, Tx everyday...just one hobby shop mainly RC planes, balsa, Spectrum radios...my heli purchases mainly online and preferably Dhl or EMS....thanks for the info....but we do have Sams, Walmart, Autozone, HEB, a Texas supermarket chain, American hotels, etc etc....
Last edited by ChespiIker; Today at 04:57 PM. Reason: Info.